Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings JonnyThrice's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi A4 Avant Titanium, '15 A3 Prestige

Question Time for a tune? Nothing too crazy

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Two things...

1. I've been bust the past year or so so I haven't been around here very much, so I'm sure things have changed

2. YES, I did a search but most topics are for specific tunes. But I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, so I accept your flames.

I've had my '12 B8 Avant for about 4 years now...completely stock, other than a few Carista mods and LED interior lights. I did have the oil consumption issue, and the pistons/rings were replaced along with the turbo a few years ago. Car has 65K miles on it now.

I daily drive it, not looking to go crazy but damn, I do feel the need for more power. My wifes '15 A3 feels MUCH faster than car.

So I've been looking at APR STG1 which is pretty much the de-facto around here, but now I see like 5 or 6 other ones popping up. Also this Neuspeed piggyback thing that seems interesting. I'd be perfectly happy with +20-30 HP, I'll most likely never do any other mods, so whats the easiest, most reliable and daily driver friendly tune?

Thanks guys!
    Mine: 2012 A4 Avant S-Line Titanium - Ibis White

Wife: 2015 A3 2.0T Prestige SportPack - Glacier White

Active Member One Ring colorado.a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Time for a tune? Nothing too crazy

**From personal opinion, APR stg1 is going to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to price per gain, and piggyback tuners are nearly the same $ but don’t offer as much gains with the exception of saving your car from the dreaded void warranty TD1... when I got my car it had a piggy back on it and although it is the smallest bit extra power it is not worth it at all when it comes to a good ECU tune. However noting your millage I would be cautious, I got my car tuned @ 69k miles and 20 minutes after the tune was flashed car pulled a P0299 or underboost code and had to go through a ~$4k turbo replacement out of warranty (TD1)... however after all that, running my 14 A4 on APR’s stg1 91 tune (50/50 91 and e85, flex fuel) I have to say I smile with every pull, it’s the “smallest bit quicker” than a stock s4 and with good tires will hang amazing till 70mph. hope this helps!
    Last edited by colorado.a4; 01-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    2014 Audi a4 Quattro | APR stage 1 e85 | k&n typhoon | 034 Motorsport trans mounts | custom straight pipe | Avant Garde m621 19x9.5 in Technica Titantium | custom installed LED light bar | Carbon Imports highkick spoiler | instagram @Colorado.a4 | #quattroculture

Senior Member Three Rings keiffr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

I preferred an at-home tune, so I went with the Integrated Engineering Stage 1 tune. Great tune for a Daily Driver and great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2011 A4 2.0T TFSI Quattro P+/ Phantom Black
    IE Stage 1 / A5 S-Line Y-Spoke 19x8.5 Wheels Offset: ET32 / 255/35/19 General G-Max AS-05 Tires/ Solowerks S1 Coilovers

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by colorado.a4 View Post
    **From personal opinion, APR stg1 is going to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to price per gain, and piggyback tuners are nearly the same $ but don’t offer as much gains with the exception of saving your car from the dreaded void warranty TD1... when I got my car it had a piggy back on it and although it is the smallest bit extra power it is not worth it at all when it comes to a good ECU tune. However noting your millage I would be cautious, I got my car tuned @ 69k miles and 20 minutes after the tune was flashed car pulled a P0299 or underboost code and had to go through a ~$4k turbo replacement out of warranty (TD1)... however after all that, running my 14 A4 on APR’s stg1 91 tune (50/50 91 and e85, flex fuel) I have to say I smile with every pull, it’s the “smallest bit quicker” than a stock s4 and with good tires will hang amazing till 70mph. hope this helps!

with my mods, running 375 crank hp and 475 crank torque.
    How does a stg1 tune give you 375 hp? Are you out of your mind?
    Is that a dyno-run or one of those apps that "estimate" horsepower for you?

Cause to get close to 375hp you'll need a K04, and even with that 375 isn't all that easy to reach ...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Riccird1 View Post
    How does a stg1 tune give you 375 hp? Are you out of your mind?
    Is that a dyno-run or one of those apps that "estimate" horsepower for you?

Cause to get close to 375hp you'll need a K04, and even with that 375 isn't all that easy to reach ...
    Haha I was thinking the same thing, even if he upgraded the turbo to the K04 for $4k. Looks like one of those 'dyno' apps based on the accelerometer in the phone.

On a side note, the Integrated Engineering seems to be a favorite around here. Keep in mind doing a tune will accelerate the wear and tear on your car so if you're going for longevity that's a consideration. You might also consider upgrading the intake and exhaust of the car for a bit more throttle response.

Established Member Two Rings JonnyThrice's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi A4 Avant Titanium, '15 A3 Prestige

Hmmm yes the IE one seems interesting. Probably going to go with that or maybe just the Neuspeed.
    Mine: 2012 A4 Avant S-Line Titanium - Ibis White

Wife: 2015 A3 2.0T Prestige SportPack - Glacier White

Senior Member Three Rings keiffr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Land Rover LR3 SE

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyThrice View Post
    Hmmm yes the IE one seems interesting. Probably going to go with that or maybe just the Neuspeed.
    Yes, the at home tunes are they way to go. IE has been great! You could get them on the phone and/or email and they respond quick! I've Unitronic is also a good at-home tune.
    2011 A4 2.0T TFSI Quattro P+/ Phantom Black
    IE Stage 1 / A5 S-Line Y-Spoke 19x8.5 Wheels Offset: ET32 / 255/35/19 General G-Max AS-05 Tires/ Solowerks S1 Coilovers