Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lowering Spring Megathread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iím looking through the different lowering springs and trying to make a decision. Iíd appreciate if folks could share a few words and pics based on their experience with assorted springs.

There are plenty of options and somewhat conflicting information in old threads

We have 034, JHM, H&R, etc. Progressive springs and linear springs.

For those of you with pics on OEM s4 peelers with stock tire size I would greatly appreciate those being shared.

Looking forward to gathering the current info into one source to help with future searches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Established Member Two Rings epalacios's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I run H&R OE sport springs with peelers and stock tire size but have Bilstein Sport Struts all around.

I autocross and do lots of spirited drives and the springs offer enough clearance where I rarely bottom out. Still looks aggressive and gives me the functionality I need. I'll post a pic when I get home.

I run Michelin Sport AS 3+ tires and great setup for autocross and should be enough for track days this year as autocross has more technical turns

Audi S4 + CBR600rr Enthusiast Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings Joker S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8-S4/Q5

Quote Originally Posted by epalacios View Post
    I run H&R OE sport springs with peelers and stock tire size but have Bilstein Sport Struts all around.

I autocross and do lots of spirited drives and the springs offer enough clearance where I rarely bottom out. Still looks aggressive and gives me the functionality I need. I'll post a pic when I get home.

I run Michelin Sport AS 3+ tires and great setup for autocross and should be enough for track days this year as autocross has more technical turns

x2. Except I'm on TI Rotor wheels. Highly recommended OE Sports with Bilstein. You can get away with sport or super sport H&R, but you might run more depending on your roads and driving style.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app
    | 2012 S4 Prestige | TI Black Optics | Monsoon Gray Metallic | Black/Magma | STUFF | TD1

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4, MK4 Jetta

In for this. As I am looking for lowering springs too.
    "if I wanted magic phallus shaped objects that didn't make me go any faster, I would just hit the gay club downtown, no need to spend $400." - Mec

S4 Build

Established Member Two Rings esfyve's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S5 3.0T 2004 GLI 1.8T

I'm running Vogtland lowering springs on stock struts. Have ridden in a car with H&R OE Sports. Both ride almost exactly like OEM, but slightly firmer around corners.
    2013 Phantom Black Pearl S5 3.0T - AWE Track exhaust w/102mm polished tips, Vogtland lowering springs, 15/20mm spacers.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Some car

This site has great information on springs and other blogs on B8 platform.
    http://dreamingin302ci.blogspot.com/...rm-spring.html

B8 Spring Rate Chart:
    Stock S5: 480f/440r* Rear rates are incorrect. These are obtained from Stasis literature. No way it's 440 on a 0.95 rear axle motion ratio. Rear rates from factory are closer to 200.
    PSS10: 540f/298r
    RSS: 686f/343r
    Prokit: 336f/171r
    Solowerks Sedan: 690f/250-275r
    Solowerks Avant: 690f/320-350r
    KW HAS: 542f/286r
    H&R Street: 450f/450r
    ST Coilovers: 690f/286r
    Stasis post motion ratio: 296f/400r
    Stasis pre motion ratio: 750f/1100r
    H&R OE Sport: 480f/200r *According to tech I spoke with. He stressed that OE sport = factory spring rate. But this may only be the rate at static compression. It may ramp up due to it being progressive (vs factory springs are linear)

AZ Member #

That is a very comprehensive list but does not include some of the newer options in the market.

Thanks to those of you that suggested the bilstein shocks alongside the springs. I had not thought about swapping the struts as well purely due to a cost perspective. I would go with a full set of coilovers if I were to replace the shocks.

I am mainly looking to rid the car of wheel cap while maintaining close to factory ride in terms of spring rates. This pushes me toward H&R OE Sport. A few testimonials have said these springs with stock struts lead to a floating/bouncing sensation over large dips on the freeway. Can any confirm or deny this?
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Active Member Two Rings dimonblr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post

We have 034, JHM, H&R, etc. Progressive springs and linear springs.

For those of you with pics on OEM s4 peelers with stock tire size I would greatly appreciate those being shared.
    Here you go: H&R OE Sport, stock peelers on 255/35 tires

2014 Audi S4

AZ Member #

This is EXACTLY what I am looking to build in this thread. If others running 034, JHM, etc. could replicate the above images we will build a very good database and point of reference for future searching.

@dimonblr How would you describe the ride quality with the above setup? Thanks for the great pics. Do those peelers have spacers installed?
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Established Member Two Rings darkrock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

OE sport..stock peelers..ecs spacers 15 rear 10 front. 20180816_184910.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    2015 S4 6MT Premium+
    Sport Diff, Brilliant Black, Alcantara, Carbon Atlas, B&O, Tech pkg
    H&R OE Sports, ECS intake, ECS x-pipe, ECS flush kit, Magnaflow 11385, Carbon Imports Low Kick, 3M 20% tint

Previous:
    B5 S4 6MT AWE Stage 3
    B6 S4 6MT stock

Senior Member Three Rings chopz33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A3 Cabriolet

KW HAS 20x9 wheels 255/30/20 tires
    Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    2012 S4/ Prestige/ Black Optics Package/DSG/Red Leather/B&O sound
    KW HAS/RS4 grille/LED conversion/USP Intake/AWE Touring-resonated DP's/034 trans mount/Niche Stacatto 20x9/CF Stvbek front lip/Unitronic Stage 2 ECU/TCU/ECS CF diffuser/CR-15 Strut brace

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S4, 2012 A3 TDI, 2016 BMW S1000XR, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848

I went with the Eibach Pro-kit springs...they used to be called OE springs. I wanted to lower the car but not too far after dealing with another car that I lowered 1.5" or more. These progressive springs lower the front 0.8" and the rear 0.6". I stayed with the stock shocks as well and this worked fine. Later I added wheel spacers and would get some inner fender rubbing in the rear if I had enough weight in the back and hit some major bumps. So I added the Bilstein Heavy Duty (B8) shocks/struts. I wish I would have installed those Bilstein's from the beginning as they control the springs much better and I now rarely get any rubbing. I don't know the actual spring rates however.

AZ Member #

That is a very comprehensive list but does not include some of the newer options in the market.

Thanks to those of you that suggested the bilstein shocks alongside the springs. I had not thought about swapping the struts as well purely due to a cost perspective. I would go with a full set of coilovers if I were to replace the shocks.

I am mainly looking to rid the car of wheel cap while maintaining close to factory ride in terms of spring rates. This pushes me toward H&R OE Sport. A few testimonials have said these springs with stock struts lead to a floating/bouncing sensation over large dips on the freeway. Can any confirm or deny this?
    I have not had the H&R OE on stock struts but would not recommend it. I got my S4 at 83k and was already lowered on some EBay springs, **the seller lied to me when he said it was the stassis touring suspension package! When I took at the struts they were sooooo bad! All four side took at least 3 mins to come up from the fully compress position. You will prematurely wear out your OEM struts with lowering springs. Its always best to get the lowering springs and Sports Struts for longevity and ride quality. Save some cash!Buy the springs used of a member but buy brand new struts! My 2 cents.

Last edited by epalacios; 01-14-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

People that lowered their car around 1.5Ē did you replace your stock control arms with adjustable? If not did you relocate the wiring harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2012 Black S4 6MT / Revo Stage 1+ tune / CW 3-1 / CTS Turbo Intake / Borla Exhaust Modified / Eurocode Stg 2 Clutch and LWFW / APR CPS / VMR 710FF 19x9.5

AZ Member #

As promised:
    H&R OE Springs
    Bilstein B8 Sport Struts
    No Spacers
    2.1 degree Camber Left side
    2.0 degree Camber Right side

Senior Member Four Rings ModItNow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Acura RDX

Quote Originally Posted by AudiFLS4 View Post
    People that lowered their car around 1.5Ē did you replace your stock control arms with adjustable? If not did you relocate the wiring harness?

I have KW HAS and installed adjustable control arms. I'm about 25.5" fender to ground which is more than 1.5" drop. I never installed the wiring relocation kit and have never had an issue in 30,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ModItNow View Post
    I have KW HAS and installed adjustable control arms. I'm about 25.5" fender to ground which is more than 1.5" drop. I never installed the wiring relocation kit and have never had an issue in 30,000 miles.

Which control arms did you end up getting?

2012 Black S4 6MT / Revo Stage 1+ tune / CW 3-1 / CTS Turbo Intake / Borla Exhaust Modified / Eurocode Stg 2 Clutch and LWFW / APR CPS / VMR 710FF 19x9.5

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Acura RDX

Which control arms did you end up getting?

SPC but I just found out a have a torn bushing on one side and there is no replacement part. I just ordered LYKT which are sold by Eurocode which have good reviews online and more camber adjustment.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

SPC but I just found out a have a torn bushing on one side and there is no replacement part. I just ordered LYKT which are sold by Eurocode which have good reviews online and more camber adjustment.

I called them and they didnít have an eta on new ones. I may order them anyways and wait

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Acura RDX

I called them and they didnít have an eta on new ones. I may order them anyways and wait

The Lykt? Mine just shipped out today, there are 2 versions. Street and track

Senior Member Three Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

H&R OE Sport Springs
    VMR v710 19x8.5 et35
    Pilot Super Sport 255/35/19
    5mm ECS Spacers on all 4 corners
    -1.5deg camber on all 4 corners

1 finger gap in front and 1.5 finger gap in back, creating a slight front rake. Ride is firm but very comfortable. Wife is happy with it and she hated the ride quality in my previous cars. Very pleased with the setup as a whole for a daily driver.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4
    EPL Stage 2 | MercRacing HX | H&R OE Springs | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35 | 5mm ECS Spacers | PSS 255/35/19

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The Lykt? Mine just shipped out today, there are 2 versions. Street and track

Yeah I called and spoke with someone on the phone and he said none in stock both track and street for LYKT. Weird. I'll just order and see if theres any delay.
    Last edited by AudiFLS4; 01-14-2019 at 07:36 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Acura RDX

Yeah I called and spoke with someone on the phone and he said non in stock both track and street for LYKT. Weird. I'll just order and see if theres any delay.
    Damn, wonder if I got the last set in stock Screenshot_20190114-180033_Email.jpeg

AZ Member #

Thank you all for the additional pics! If you know anybody running any springs other than H&R OE sport, send them a nudge to post in here!
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

im leaning towards the sport version which is 1.5'' instead of 1.2 for the OE. Im expecting no rubs with a 19x9.5 et39/40ish. Hopefully ppl can chime in about the sports springs this mainly a DD dealing with snow and all the good stuff.
    black 2015 S4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by weave View Post
    im leaning towards the sport version which is 1.5'' instead of 1.2 for the OE. Im expecting no rubs with a 19x9.5 et39/40ish. Hopefully ppl can chime in about the sports springs this mainly a DD dealing with snow and all the good stuff.
    See this thread regarding H&R sports.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...H-amp-R-Sports

Established Member Two Rings Phil.Lmbrt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

I see not a lot run the 034 springs..

I love them !! the drop is quite conservative, about 1'ish inch, but they ride soo good.

I kept the OE adaptive shocks and it rides just like stock. It is just a little bit firmer.

I've done 20 000km on them this summer. The ride has not changed, except after 100'ish km, when they settled in.

The car being black, with dark wheels, it's hard to get a good angle to see the ride height, but heres a few snips I got

Last edited by Phil.Lmbrt; 01-15-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    2012 S4
    Brilliant Black | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O
    Uni Dual Pulley | 3.208 Ratio | Roc-Euro | CTS | USP | 034 | JHM | PLM | BFI | P3cars | Rotiform | CR-15 | Macan Calipers | StopTech | Hawk Performance | Snow Performance | Airlift Performance | Accuair

AZ Member #

Thanks for contribution. What are the wheel and tire specs to help create a frame of reference?
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Established Member Two Rings Phil.Lmbrt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 B8 S4 & E46 325i

Thanks for contribution. What are the wheel and tire specs to help create a frame of reference?
    Sorry I forgot those,

They are Vossen CV-T 19x8.5 ET30 with Firehawks Indy 500 in 255/35
    2012 S4
    Brilliant Black | 6MT | Sports Diff | B&O
    Uni Dual Pulley | 3.208 Ratio | Roc-Euro | CTS | USP | 034 | JHM | PLM | BFI | P3cars | Rotiform | CR-15 | Macan Calipers | StopTech | Hawk Performance | Snow Performance | Airlift Performance | Accuair

AZ Member #

H&R Sport Springs - The ride feels just a touch firmer than stock, and handles like it's on rails.
    S4 Peelers w/ 255/35/ZR19 - 10mm spacers in the front / 12.5mm spacers in the back

and a quick roller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNcMaS4nv8U
    2012 Phantom Black Pearl S4 6MT / B&O / Sports Diff / 3G+ Conversion / Unitronic Stage 2+
    -19" S4 Peelers w/ 255/35/ZR19 Michelin PSS, 034 25mm Solid Rear Sway Bar, H&R Sport lowering springs, AWE Track Exhaust w/ 90mm polished tips. P3 Multigauge w/ Track Pack
    ECS SS clutch line, 034 Transmission mount insert