Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: 17z Question

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

17z Question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    getting ready to install the 17z's i bought here from another member.

when doing research i remember reading something about the direction of the pistons to have even brake pad wear. there is small piston on side and a larger piston on the other, with a medium piston in the middle. does the larger piston need to be on the bottom (towards the ground)?

or does it matter at all?

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

The calipers are stamped "17ZL" and "17ZR". If you put the "L" on the left, "R" on the right, you'll have the proper piston orientation. You'll likely need to flip the bleeders and crossover (so that the bleeders are facing up) unless they were already swapped.

I don't have them in front of me but I believe the result is the smallest piston being closest to the ground (at leading edge of rotor).
    -Hayden

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

yea i figured they would just go on the side labeled L and R ... but for some reason i remember reading someone saying you flip them to have the biggest piston at the bottom.

Ill trust the labels then :)

thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings zillarob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2kS4, 84gli, 84caddy dsl

Small piston on the bottom toward the ground. You want small to be leading and big to be trailing as the rotor spins.

What you were prob reading is if you flip sides to get the xover pipe and bleeders right.
    Dont do that, take off the xover and bleeders and swap ends. Bleeders at the top.
    There are only 2 things needed to make an Audi work properly - Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should - WD40.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stg 3 widebody, 1990 miata, '05 gsxr 1000

yepper. small piston leads = even pad wear and pressure (they get larger to increase pressure on the trailing edge of the pad).