Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Put trans back on after RMS, nothing working now.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I did the RMS without issue (so I thought). I put the trans back on and now I can go through the gears yet the transmission never seems to engage. The wheels don't spin in r, d, or s. The cluster and selector display inline with one another, but no action at the wheels.

Any ideas?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Perhaps you didnt hook up the gear shift line back correctly or even put it on for that matter. The cluster and shifter will display it correctly as its part of the electrical part of the system but on the mechanical side, you may have just forgotten to hook up the transmission engager. Just a thought.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you. I did hook up the linkage. We verified that its moving when I move the interior selector. No actual gears are being engaged though. I looked through and it may be in emergency brake/lock mode from the install/uninstall. Or the physical emergency lock is engaged underneath the ashtray. Im going to check those out tonight. Also going to hook up the cable and verify through 02 auto trans that the trans brain is seeing the shifts.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Turns out I have the 2703 error. the TSB states this is that the filter is blocking the mechatronic from shifting or the fluid is low.

I tried to add more fluid and it's stopping. I pull the drain plug and nothing comes out. I used the elring filter from a trans kit on ECS. I had already trashed the gasket and bought the official audi one as the rubber gasket was crap. Now something is up with the filter too.

I'm going to take off the downpipe and the get the pan off tonight and see what the issue is. Then I'll do the adaptation and hope all is well from there.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

okay back up .....

you did work on the transmission ? First message indicated you removed transmission , replaced RMS, replaced transmission . Is there more to this story ?

my guess is you did work on the transmission while it was out and did not have it at the correct operating temperature when filling it back up so you have not put nearly enough fluid in it. Audis have a very specific transmission filling process which includes being perfectly level, cycling through all the gears and monitoring transmission temperature through VCDS

did you attempt to change filter and fluid while it was out ?
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    okay back up .....

you did work on the transmission ? First message indicated you removed transmission , replaced RMS, replaced transmission . Is there more to this story ?

my guess is you did work on the transmission while it was out and did not have it at the correct operating temperature when filling it back up so you have not put nearly enough fluid in it. Audis have a very specific transmission filling process which includes being perfectly level, cycling through all the gears and monitoring transmission temperature through VCDS

did you attempt to change filter and fluid while it was out ?
    Transmission was not replaced, just removed for the job.

I didn't do the process correct initially, I thought I had did my homework and I did not.

Tonight when I removed the pan again the filter was right there, I put the new one in, added in about 2.5qts of fluid until it dripped out, capped it up, started the car with the brake on, then shifted through all gears, put it back in park and then began topping off the fluid. I added another ~4qts of fluid and it started dripping again. I then capped it up and turned the car off. I kept the oil under 40 during this procedure.

I went to do the adaptation following this procedure, but I don't have the options enabled and it was late, so I'll look closer at that tomorrow.

Established Member Four Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What year is the car? From what I remember it sounds like you missed a step if it's a zf8.

If it's a zf8 (8 speed) here is the proper fill procedure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uV1H7Xqw8eBGC-

Still don't understand why you didn't tell us you opened the transmission and changed the fluid/filter when you're having a transmission related issue.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Veteran Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Did you make sure the torque converter was fully seated on the input shaft before trying to mate then trans to engine? It would be hard to mess this up as youd really have to force the two together if not fully seated. Otherwise you really should not have any transmissions issues, simply removing and reinstalling trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by a4lownslow View Post
    Did you make sure the torque converter was fully seated on the input shaft before trying to mate then trans to engine? It would be hard to mess this up as youd really have to force the two together if not fully seated. Otherwise you really should not have any transmissions issues, simply removing and reinstalling trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Yes, all was good there.

My only issue was I should have done the drain/fill AFTER the job, vs. before. Once I got the fluid in and the drip right, all is much better, albeit a little shaky when in gear, but I haven't actually rode it yet as we're in a snowstorm right now. I also have to reset the learning or do the adaptation on the trans now that I've refreshed it all.