Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings frankvan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0T; 07 RS4; 04 Touareg; MINI Cooper; VStrom 1000

Question 2.0t automatic transmission failure

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Note, 6 spd auto, NOT CVT.

Recently installed new motor (like a week ago) and within 3 days of driving the AT has failed. Can't help wonder that it is indeed related to the motor install. Wondering if when I pushed the motor in place i might have damaged the input shaft that the TC connects to?
    Description of failure: Driving at 50 kmh steady speed, hear a slight thud, and no more transmission output. engine revs fine but no acceleration. Doesn't work in any gear (D, S, Tip mode, R). Throws a P2xxx code (sorry didn't write it down) meaning expected output speed does not match input.
    Checked CV's and axles and all are intact. "P" locks all four wheels so that part of the trans is still functional out to the wheels. Dash properly reflects which gear is selected. Cable selector on left side to trans is intact and functional. Fluid level in trans is fine (man that stuff stinks). Electrical connection on front bottom left is intact (even sprayed contact cleaner just to be sure). Bell housing to engine bolts are all tight, no gaps between the two. The three torque converter bolts are in place and tight.

Checked with VagCom
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LdzVgJqkWHdBa32z8
    and it indicates that the transmission input speed is the same as engine speed so i know the TC is still connected to the input shaft until the input speed sensor at least (wherever that is located) but nothing is spinning past that. RPM's don't even fluctuate as I move the gear selector from p-r-n-d.

Only thing i find on forum search is broken axles or CV's but mine are all intact (i'd rather a cv problem! much easier and cheaper to fix)

Thoughts? My only remaining avenue i think is to pull transmission completely... not something I want to do!

Frank

Active Member Two Rings rbjeepthing's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 95 YJ, 01 Duramax, 18 JK

I have never messed around with an Audi transmission but have with quite a few other makes and models.

When pulling the engine its paramount to make sure you didn't pull the torque converter out of engagement. Typically when i have them apart I will pull the TC out slightly then while rotating push it back in. You should hear two clunks/clicks one when it bottoms out then another when it actually engages on the input shaft of the tranny.

Established Member Two Rings frankvan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0T; 07 RS4; 04 Touareg; MINI Cooper; VStrom 1000

I'm hoping that's the issue. But as per vagcom its showing transmission input speed same as engine speed so not looking promising. But maybe the tran input speed is just a repeat of engine speed and there's no sensor on the input shaft...