Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    369715
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom

    17519- Oxygen Sensor Regulation: Bank 1 got me stumped

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey,

    So my 1.8T has been throwing a
    17519- Oxygen Sensor Regulation: Bank 1
    P1111-001 - System too Lean

    And i can for the life of me not find out the cause!

    Over the past 10 months the car has had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned, Boost and smoke tests which are showing no issues, sparks, Hocky puck thing, Injector seals, rocker cover gasket, Genuine N75, MAF, Coil packs, CTS and suction jet pump a non-genuine cam sensor. Exhaust did have a leak by the center back box but i have repaired that.

    Yesterday i replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel relay, Bosch wideband O2 Sensor and its still throwing it up.

    Today i stripped the PCV system down and cleaned the crap out of the metal tube that goes from the crankcase to the PCV, checked the PCV valve and it looked pretty good, checked a 80% of the check valves by blowing though them they are all fine the vacuum lines all look pretty new.

    It looks like the injector cups are leaking and there is oil build up round by the turbo outlet, i get the odd misfire on all cylinders while driving and had 8 misfires on cylinder 1 & 3 while idling today.
    The issue seems to be when the car is idling but relatively fine when driving.

    Fuel trims are 4.9% Adapation (Idle) - Adapation (Partial) -1.6% since i cleaned the PCV system up before the clean up it was 5.3% Adapation (Idle) - Adapation (Partial) -4.7%

    I have attached a screenshot of the fuel supply system on basic settings in VCDS this shows 'system not ok' if anyone can indicate what the issue might be?
    Attached Images

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Wow! It sounds like you have covered all the bases. I do have a few suggestions.

    You mentioned that you had the injectors cleaned. Did you also have them flow tested to see if they are all putting out the same amount? You can perform your own injector spray pattern and output test. Get four preweighed glass containers. Have someone crank the engine while you observe the spray patterns to see if they are all the same. Then reweigh the containers and see if the output is the same for all four injectors.



    You mentioned that you checked most of your check valves. Try this. With the engine at idle clamp off each vacuum line attached to the intake manifold one at a time. If clamping one of the lines makes a significant change in the idle speed you need to trace that particular line for a defective component.

    And last but not least, recheck for any exhaust leaks. Any false air entering the exhaust stream can screw up the O2 sensor reading.

    Good luck!
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  3. #3
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    369715
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom

    Should have mentioned i cleaned them myself using hot soapy water with them pulsing in the bath did make the car quieter when they where refitted didn't last long though, they all measure 13.5 Ohm hot and cold.

    I did test the spray pattern on some paper and it looked pretty good but i will give the glass jars a go thats a better idea.

    I will also try clamping the vacuum lines, going to run a unlit propane torch around aswell just to see if that does anything.

    I did smoke test the exhaust but suppose it can't hurt again its pretty rotten, doesn't sound like there are any leaks though.

    Its strange how it only seems to be a issue at idle while driving the O2 sensor is no more than 4% but after a few seconds of idle its up to 10+%.

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings Mokacrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18 2012
    AZ Member #
    104299
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Auto, 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Wow! It sounds like you have covered all the bases. I do have a few suggestions.

    You mentioned that you had the injectors cleaned. Did you also have them flow tested to see if they are all putting out the same amount? You can perform your own injector spray pattern and output test. Get four preweighed glass containers. Have someone crank the engine while you observe the spray patterns to see if they are all the same. Then reweigh the containers and see if the output is the same for all four injectors.

    OLD GUY, what are we going to do when you retire and hang up your Forum keyboard??? Yet another good idea!



    Seeing that you have access to VCDS, have you tried running the measuring blocks for Bank1, MAF, Engine Load, Boost? (There may be one that shows it better but I've used 001 = showing Bank1, 002 = showing MAF, 115 = showing boost)
    I saw in your OP that you replaced MAF but from experience I've seen one in a blue moon be faulty from the box. It's rare, so it's a shot but costs nothing to check (unless you're paying by use for the VCDS). Where I'm going is that by analyzing the measuring blocks you may be able to see something even if the part has already been replaced. I'm not sure under what information/test each part was replaced so you may have already done this.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2006
    AZ Member #
    14483
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Location
    Western Maryland

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad1 View Post
    Its strange how it only seems to be a issue at idle while driving the O2 sensor is no more than 4% but after a few seconds of idle its up to 10+%.

    Thanks for your help.
    OK. That's a pretty good indication of a simple vacuum leak at idle. Once you start moving, the percent of false (unmetered) air is a much less and you don't get the high fuel trims.

    Retirement already occurreed!! Living the easy life!!
    Last edited by old guy; 01-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

  6. #6
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    369715
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Mokacrow View Post
    OLD GUY, what are we going to do when you retire and hang up your Forum keyboard??? Yet another good idea!

    Seeing that you have access to VCDS, have you tried running the measuring blocks for Bank1, MAF, Engine Load, Boost? (There may be one that shows it better but I've used 001 = showing Bank1, 002 = showing MAF, 115 = showing boost)
    I saw in your OP that you replaced MAF but from experience I've seen one in a blue moon be faulty from the box. It's rare, so it's a shot but costs nothing to check (unless you're paying by use for the VCDS). Where I'm going is that by analyzing the measuring blocks you may be able to see something even if the part has already been replaced. I'm not sure under what information/test each part was replaced so you may have already done this.
    It really is good idea! Just need some glass jars.
    I have run group 1 & 2, MAF reads just over 2 at idle and just under 10 at 3K RPM, after replacing the fuel pump etc Group 01 was reading 19.5% Lambda control Bank 1, the car is stock. I had a boost gauge and that was reading up to 8-10psi which is about right for stock. I put the original MAF back in and it was reading less than the current.


    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    OK. That's a pretty good indication of a simple vacuum leak at idle. Once you start moving, the percent of false (unmetered) air is a much less and you don't get the high fuel trims.
    Thats what i thought but couldn't find anything with the smoke test, boost gauge was reading between -20hg and -25. Roughly ran propane over a few parts of the engine didn't hear any difference in RPM will do it again but with VCDS open and clamp a few houses off at the same time.

    I've got new check valves etc so going to replace it all anyway, not a fan of just 'deleting' stuff.

  7. #7
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    369715
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom

    **Potential stupid idea alert!** I have baby oil in my smoke tester what if i was to let the car idle and for the smoke to draw in and hope that it finds it way out of the leak?

  8. #8
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2016
    AZ Member #
    369715
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom

    UPDATE! Kinda fixed it, yep bloody vacuum leak either round the suction jet pump or through fuel breather line connected to the N80 valve have disconnected the fuel breather line for now and plugged the 'Y' piece with a bolt going to see how things go over the next few days with it disconnected and connect it back up and see what happens.

    One of the valves the i didn't check was completely seized couldn't blow though it either way so thats now replaced, also connected a vacuum gauge its reading around -18hg and can hear air round the jet pump so still looking.

    Group 107 is showing system ok now aswell.
    Block 32 idle is showing 2.6% and Partial is -0.8% which is a improvement.
    Last edited by Hypnotoad1; 01-19-2019 at 10:20 AM.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.