Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Down Pipe Heat Shields

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My heat shields at the precats/turbos have been missing since i bought my S4. The last asshole decided they weren't necessary or just didn't know how to properly remove them because there is still a tiny piece of them attached to the exhaust manifold flanges, he just totally mutilated them to get them off. I found a C5 A6 2.7t at the local junkyard and I want to take the heat shields off from it. Are these the exact same heat shields? The A6 is an automatic and my S4 is manual.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 9-3 Aero 2.8T, 96 Miata

Stock downpipes or aftermarket?

If you have the precat I'd say keep em.

But I'd also say ditch the precats.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Stock downpipes. I'm not looking to modify anything like that right now. I just want the heat shields.

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would think youíre missing the heat shields because the previous owner gutted the precats. After you fight with them the first time, you donít put them back on. Itís a very common, kinda old school mod. In which case, the heat shields arenít really needed. But your call obviously and I like that you want to keep the car complete.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I freaking wish I had had mine when my mechanic failed to retain the clutch line correctly and it dropped right onto the downpipe and ruptured... Same mechanic that discarded them instead of taking a few minutes to trim them to fit over the new k24s.....

Pre-cats or no, they do help with some of the heat that bakes the o2 sensor harness, clutch line, and everything else back there.

Veteran Member Four Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Quote Originally Posted by S4James View Post
    Pre-cats or no, they do help with some of the heat that bakes the o2 sensor harness, clutch line, and everything else back there.
    This....

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My precats are not gutted. The previous owner just had an idiot backyard mechanic do a clutch job.
    And all from that one job he managed to:

1. Destroy the heat shields.
    2. Weld on a piece of pipe from down pipes to catback instead of using a sleeve. (cut pipe, ground down welds and fixed it)
    3. Break a stud from the passenger motor mount bracket that holds the sway bar in and drilled a hole in the side of it to drop down a loose bolt that just spins. (replaced it with one from my totaled B5 A4)
    4. Got the alignment holes for the front subframe way out. (I fixed it)
    5. Slightly drove out a stud from a turbo and built it out with two washers so that the nut would tighten. (fixed that)
    6. Used shitty gasket maker to mate the turbos to the downpipes. (I used the correct gaskets)
    7. When he pulled the engine, he obviously saw that oily, caked on, saturated mess that he took out and just put it back in without doing anything. (cleaned the shit out of it and resealed the top end like I have many times on my 2.8)
    A little bit more bullshit that makes me too angry but I've fixed everything to factory specs, and the heat shields are the only things I have left.
    `
    I come across many 2.7t's at the junkyards, but just allroads and A6s. I've only seen an S4 there once and it was manual but had aftermarket downpipes and no shields.
    So I want the heat shields. Are manual S4 heat shields unique to those cars only? Or will an A6 auto be exactly the same?

Senior Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a 01 tip and 00 manual ... the Downpipes were different between the two and as a result the heat shields were too.

I ended up trashing them both to the recycle bin.

No fires yet and 20k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm 90% sure that they are the same for all 2.7t as long as they have the same trans. I think that the downpipes are the game changer here, so if they have the same turbos and the same downpipes I don't see why they would be any different. If your getting them from a junk yard might as well pony up the 20 or whatever bucks.

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

if your is manual you need manual heat shields.
    year of A6 does not matter as long as theyre manual.