Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

OEM Exhaust Drone

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Guys,
    I recently picked up my 2019 S4. I have since put 100 or so miles on the car and only have one complaint, the drone of the stock exhaust. It has been driving me crazy and almost got me to the point of trying to trade it in. I feel like there has to be something i can do to get rid of the drone, possibly even modify the exhaust? I hope someone can chime in and give me some hope. Thanks!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Are you serious?? Jesus. Put the car in Comfort mode and never come back to this forum.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hey, im sure it sounds crazy but i have a hearing issues called Tinnitus and hyperacusis which make me more prone to being bothered by different frequencies. I actually love the exhaust note while driving moderately but get bothered when i try to drive casually and calmly in comfort.

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Lots of us on here are trying to increase the exhaust, but for a decrease you can try disabling the soundaktor. This can be done through ODBEleven or you can ask the dealership. Otherwise, I’d ask a muffler shop to see what suggestions they have. HTH!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the input! I know about the soundaktor but the dealership said they have no idea how to disable lol. I did read up on the OBDEleven and might give that a shot. On the other side i have been doing sone research and it seems a "Helmholtz resonator" or a side branch resonator might be exactly what i need to resolve this.

Senior Member Three Rings TurboQuattroPwr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You could buy a Tesla...heard they’re pretty quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi S4 3.0T
    18% Tint, CquartzPro Ceramic Coating

2002 Audi A4 1.8TQM *Gone*

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

I look at making the exhaust more quite almost like a sleeper mod. Get all stealthy with it!

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    Are you serious?? Jesus. Put the car in Comfort mode and never come back to this forum.
    This ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyballs View Post
    Thanks for the input! I know about the soundaktor but the dealership said they have no idea how to disable lol. I did read up on the OBDEleven and might give that a shot. On the other side i have been doing sone research and it seems a "Helmholtz resonator" or a side branch resonator might be exactly what i need to resolve this.
    I pretty sure theres a fuse you can pull to deactivate it. I know a lot of BMW guys do this. I totally get where you’re coming from. It can get annoying especially if you have the seats folded down and have the car in sport. I just put 500 miles on my car during a trip up north and def noticed the drone when my radio was turned down. Personally coming from a stage 2 b8.5 A4 with a full exhaust I don’t mind it. But I can see how it could get annoying if you have a hearing condition. Set the exhaust note to comfort in the custom setting.

Pedal Responce first responder.

Veteran Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

The fuse box , on drivers side dash, would have label Soundactor, if the B9 in fact have that device, An Audi video claims b9'dows NOT have that device . In B8 it was fuse. # 5 on one of the fuse bank. Check and see in owners Manuel if there is fuse & that circuit.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    lol

But in comfort mode it is very quite... Here is the thread https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...en-Mods-for-S4 that covers turning the Soundaktor off.

Veteran Member Four Rings richib86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i actually had a customer who bought a tts from me who also ended up returning the car due to his tinnitus flaring up when her drove the car.
    2016 S6, Mythos black with Arras red, Sport package, Bose, Black ops, silver side mirrors, LED, Cold weather, Driver assist, APR Stg 3 w/RS7 turbo's, AMS cooler, APR downpipes, Milltek Non-res Valved, Roc-Euro intake, CETE lowering module, HRE P101, Alcantara steering wheel w/rs7+ buttons, Neidfaktor alcantara shift knob, P3 Gauge, Full O34 mounts, OEM interior LED, VIM

2014 Q5 3.0, Glacier white w/chestnut, H&R springs, Eurocode Sways, DIY black optics, 5 arm titanium rotor reps

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

tinnitus = learn something new every day!

Registered Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had a TTS. I had the soundakar volume coded down.

2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings Aaron@DTP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

To be fair, there was more drone in the car beffore it got broken in. Once you get a good carbon coating inside the exhaust, it does calm down quite a bit.
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

That is great to hear! Tonight i am going to take a look at the fuse box and see if i can find a fuse for the Soundaktor. I am hoping that if i get the Soundaktor turned off and if it is true that the exhaust quiets down after a little i am sure i will be good to go then. I love how quiet the car is otherwise, it is really only at cruising speeds and in the RPM range of 1750-2250 that the drone gets annoying on the highway and bothers me. Fingers crossed because man do i love everything else about this car and the launch control is addictive.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I agree with Aaron, drone sill subside once broken in

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings Aaron@DTP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dont go yanking fuses. I guarantee there isn't one that handles that alone. If you're dead set on messing with it, buy an OBDeleven and do it right. You bought an Audi, not a 1983 celica
    DT Power - Official US distributor for DTE Systems

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hahaha fair enough. My plan was to try and remove the fuse to see if it actually worked. Then buy an obdeleven to do it right. Otherwise i do not plan on messing with the odbeleven.

Established Member Two Rings electron bom's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4 EVO IX

If you go into car settings, you can control how many exhaust valves are open in a given drive mode. That may reduce the drone you are experiencing.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So i think i might have found a real solution for me. Tomorrow i am going to contact a local custom exhaust shop that has been around for years and always seems to have higher end cars around.

I am going to look into a muffler replacement that hopefulky gets rid of the drone. The drone is really focused in the trunk area so i can almost confidently say its the mufflers. Fingers crossed i can get some new mufflers and just cover the plugs for the stock exhaust valves.

Fingers crossed!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

And before anyone says it, this car is a daily and i drive a lot for work. My goal is to reduce the drone even if it hurts the performance a little. I really want to love this car and this is my only issue, everything else is damn perfect.

Veteran Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyballs View Post
    That is great to hear! Tonight i am going to take a look at the fuse box and see if i can find a fuse for the Soundaktor. I am hoping that if i get the Soundaktor turned off and if it is true that the exhaust quiets down after a little i am sure i will be good to go then. I love how quiet the car is otherwise, it is really only at cruising speeds and in the RPM range of 1750-2250 that the drone gets annoying on the highway and bothers me. Fingers crossed because man do i love everything else about this car and the launch control is addictive.
    One AUDI representative in video on new S4 claims there is no Soundaktor on the b9 S4.There are adjustable valves in the rear mufflers. If there is Soundaktor you will note a label on the drivers side fuse panel , in the S4 it is number 5 in one of the drivers side fuse panels.
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick