Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Rough running only at idle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My car has been sitting for almost a month now. I got home one day and as I pulled in the car started to shake and the idle got rough. It only happens at idle when the rpm is higher than idle everything seems fine. After a while I got a camshaft sensor trouble code. I ordered a new sensor and changed it out. After changing it the engine ran fine for a couple minutes until the rpms dropped to 900(idle). Even before idle I could feel a little blip but at idle again the car started to shake and got rough. The car runs pig rich and today I noticed that there is something coming out the tailpipe. It looks like wet charcoal. Even though I put in a new sensor once the car started running rough the trouble code for the camshaft sensor came back.
    Itís been getting really cold so I donít think my dad is going to be able to help me out with this one. Iím going to take it to an indie this week but just wanted some idea of what might be wrong?

PS
    What is the torque specs for spark plugs on the 2.0?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by A4_PimP; 01-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

Contact IMI in Morristown. Likely the best indie guy in your area. Just south of Guelph heís really really good with Audi.

Has your N205 ever been changed? Last summer mine went for shit and was causing some low rpm hesitations/rough idle.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ashtonts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I always had really rough idle in the cold on my old automatic B7. I forget if yours is auto or manual. It would decrease noticeably as the car warmed. Not sure if thatís indicative of something being wrong, or just kind of par for the course with B7ís as they age.

Changing n205, spark plugs, and coil packs never helped. Kinda gave up after that because I never noticed any performance decrease or other associated issues.

Now I always have rough idle because I have solid aluminum motor mounts
    2005.5 A4 2.0T Brilliant Red | 6MT | Quattro | OEM DTM
    Go: K04 | Carbonio | Maestro | S3 Injectors | IE Rods | JHM FMIC | Autotech HPFP | ECS SS | JHM Clutch | USP HFC | Quad-tip Exhaust | S4 Brakes
    Show: Airlift Performance V2 | 18Ē Rial Daytona 2pc Wheels | Panda Recaros | RS Grille | OEM CF Trim | S4 Mirrors | Black Ext. Trim | Bixenons | LED Tails | A8 Rings | RNSe | 20% Tint | BFI Shift Knob | Shaved Reflectors | ECS Duckbill | Ziza LEDs

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Howís your PCV valve or valve cover doing? A failing PCV that hasnít completely taken a shit yet could cause a rough idle?

Do you have oil pushing out from your valve cover bolts or oil cap? Do you have a shit load of oil in your intercooler?
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    Contact IMI in Morristown. Likely the best indie guy in your area. Just south of Guelph heís really really good with Audi.

Has your N205 ever been changed? Last summer mine went for shit and was causing some low rpm hesitations/rough idle.
    OK I will try to check him out and the N205 has never been changed since I owned it. Iíll have to look that up see where itís at if I can get to it or I will just have to take the car in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonts View Post
    I always had really rough idle in the cold on my old automatic B7. I forget if yours is auto or manual. It would decrease noticeably as the car warmed. Not sure if thatís indicative of something being wrong, or just kind of par for the course with B7ís as they age.

Changing n205, spark plugs, and coil packs never helped. Kinda gave up after that because I never noticed any performance decrease or other associated issues.

Now I always have rough idle because I have solid aluminum motor mounts
    haha thanks for the info but this is not just because itís cold this is abnormal rough idle where the car shakes and I get trouble codes eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Howís your PCV valve or valve cover doing? A failing PCV that hasnít completely taken a shit yet could cause a rough idle?

Do you have oil pushing out from your valve cover bolts or oil cap? Do you have a shit load of oil in your intercooler?
    I replaced the entire PCV system summer of last year. It could be my valve cover Iíve only owned the car for a little under 2 years at this point and the PO seems to have been a real piece of work. There is definite oil all over the engine bag like traces and lately Iíve been smelling like burning oil. OK so I have a good idea of the things it could be think this is going to end up going to a shop.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ashtonts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4_PimP View Post
    OK I will try to check him out and the N205 has never been changed since I owned it. Iíll have to look that up see where itís at if I can get to it or I will just have to take the car in.

haha thanks for the info but this is not just because itís cold this is abnormal rough idle where the car shakes and I get trouble codes eventually.

I replaced the entire PCV system summer of last year. It could be my valve cover Iíve only owned the car for a little under 2 years at this point and the PO seems to have been a real piece of work. There is definite oil all over the engine bag like traces and lately Iíve been smelling like burning oil. OK so I have a good idea of the things it could be think this is going to end up going to a shop.

My bad. Missed the part about the error code. I never had one of those. Just annoyingly rough idle when cold starting in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005.5 A4 2.0T Brilliant Red | 6MT | Quattro | OEM DTM
    Go: K04 | Carbonio | Maestro | S3 Injectors | IE Rods | JHM FMIC | Autotech HPFP | ECS SS | JHM Clutch | USP HFC | Quad-tip Exhaust | S4 Brakes
    Show: Airlift Performance V2 | 18Ē Rial Daytona 2pc Wheels | Panda Recaros | RS Grille | OEM CF Trim | S4 Mirrors | Black Ext. Trim | Bixenons | LED Tails | A8 Rings | RNSe | 20% Tint | BFI Shift Knob | Shaved Reflectors | ECS Duckbill | Ziza LEDs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonts View Post
    My bad. Missed the part about the error code. I never had one of those. Just annoyingly rough idle when cold starting in cold weather.

Yeah this is on another level there is definitely something not right.

AZ Member #

Is there any way to test the N205? I checked out replacement and itís simple enough. The place where I can get the parts itís going to run me $200. It would be nice to be able to test that it needs replacing before spending the money.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

If someone can test resistance on theirs thatcwoupd be likely the easiest way o do it. My cars in storage till I clear out the new garage of construction materials for house. So I canít get you the measurement.

Generally if it fails youíll see oil around where it mounts or coming out the electrical connector.

Germanoem.ca last one I bought was $175 shipped iirc. Or again stop over see Imi and see if he has a used one. I have a handful of used ones that have all failed. One lasted only about 2 hours of drive time. Thank you China.

AZ Member #

If someone can test resistance on theirs thatcwoupd be likely the easiest way o do it. My cars in storage till I clear out the new garage of construction materials for house. So I canít get you the measurement.

Generally if it fails youíll see oil around where it mounts or coming out the electrical connector.

Germanoem.ca last one I bought was $175 shipped iirc. Or again stop over see Imi and see if he has a used one. I have a handful of used ones that have all failed. One lasted only about 2 hours of drive time. Thank you China.
    Thanks germanoem is where I get all my parts. I just looked yesterday and itís $180 plus shipping will be another $20 plus tax. I will check how far lmi is and later today Iíll take a look at the condition of the current one to see how it looks. I might even pull it to see.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Boxster S 550 SE

You got a picture of the N205. I think I have one but not sure what it looks like and I can drop it off to you tomorrow if I do

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2004 Boxster S SE, 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 Quattro

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 2L MT, 87 Jag XJ6, Lex RX350, ~20 Road Bikes, Piper Aztec, Grumman AA1

Thanks germanoem is where I get all my parts. I just looked yesterday and itís $180 plus shipping will be another $20 plus tax. I will check how far lmi is and later today Iíll take a look at the condition of the current one to see how it looks. I might even pull it to see.

Easy enough to check the function. Note that oil around the port may not necessarily mean it's bad, just that the rubber gasket is leaking. Oil seaping from another location on the valve may mean it's defective. I don't know if the Audi N205 has a auxillary screen filter associated with it. Take it out, clean it up, and check its function with a battery to see if you need a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEgoIvE_ZBI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqjJVHZS3I

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
    You got a picture of the N205. I think I have one but not sure what it looks like and I can drop it off to you tomorrow if I do
    Awesome I'll take a picture of it in the engine then one later when I take it out.
    I think it looks like this

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Easy enough to check the function. Note that oil around the port may not necessarily mean it's bad, just that the rubber gasket is leaking. Oil seaping from another location on the valve may mean it's defective. I don't know if the Audi N205 has a auxillary screen filter associated with it. Take it out, clean it up, and check its function with a battery to see if you need a new one.

Thank you I'm going to try this tonight and update

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Boxster S 550 SE

Let me know if yours is bad or not. Im pretty sure I have a used one.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post

Let me know if yours is bad or not. Im pretty sure I have a used one.

If you have a used one let me know how much you want? I'm going to try and take it out clean it and test it tonight. I'll message you later tonight.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Boxster S 550 SE

You still have my number right. Text me later and weíll sort it out. Hopefully you can fix yours

AZ Member #

You still have my number right. Text me later and weíll sort it out. Hopefully you can fix yours

canít find it on my phone PM me or just shoot me a text

AZ Member #

OK I couldnít get mine off I need a T20 screwdriver to get to the second bolt that is in a tighter spot. Iíll get that tomorrow and update. There is no oil around it though but it definitely looks original. There is corrosion and rust on it looks like itís the original part. My car is at 150K KMs so if it did go it wouldnít be surprising. Iíll update tomorrow when I get it off.

AZ Member #

OK time for a hell of an update. I took a look at the N205 and everything seems fine although once the original issue is fixed Iím going to change that one out because of the mileage on the car. Anyway today I have the day off from work so I decide to take a look at the plug make sure no wires are corroded etc. Everything looks fine so I pull out the new one and compare it to the old one from the car. The original one is round with a flat side and the part numbers donít match. I let germanoem know and apparently the part number on the camshaft sensor that came out of my car is the one for the B7 3.2 and S4 V8. I put the original one back in because itís idling rough with either one anyway. I go for a drive and on idle itís rough but once the car warms up to operating temp everything goes back to normal. Itís like nothing ever happened. Anyone that changed their camshaft position sensor can you tell me the part number on the old one if itís still around? The part number on mine is 06C905163B.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Pretty sure my 2005.5 had that 06C905163B part number and was surprised that was the 1 in the car. Replaced it with the correct one. And all of the codes went away.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    Pretty sure my 2005.5 had that 06C905163B part number and was surprised that was the 1 in the car. Replaced it with the correct one. And all of the codes went away.
    Did you replace it with the same one or the one that is supposed to be for our cars? Iím guessing since you said correct one that means the one for the 2.0 but just want to make sure.

PS
    has nothing to do with warming up. Just started up cold and no idling issue.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

maybe I missed something .. your car is running rough after it has been sitting over a month and you just started it ? Have you taken it out for a run on the highway with new gas to see what happens ? could be condensation in the tank or anything no ? If you are idling rough and low sensors are going to trigger regardless..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    maybe I missed something .. your car is running rough after it has been sitting over a month and you just started it ? Have you taken it out for a run on the highway with new gas to see what happens ? could be condensation in the tank or anything no ? If you are idling rough and low sensors are going to trigger regardless..
    No itís been sitting for a month because Iíve been trying to fix the rough idle. I pulled into the driveway one night and I had rough idle and a P0340 CEL. I ordered the new camshaft position sensor and that did nothing. I looked at the N205 valve which seems to be fine. Itís got ĺ tank of Shell 91. Now that thereís no rough idle maybe Iíll put the new sensor back in tonight and see what happens.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I replaced mine with the correct part number listed for the 2.0T. I think they factory just changed the part number after the first production of the B7 started. And I think the 2.0T is cheaper as well.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@EPL View Post
    I replaced mine with the correct part number listed for the 2.0T. I think they factory just changed the part number after the first production of the B7 started. And I think the 2.0T is cheaper as well.
    OK thanks just wanted to make sure.

AZ Member #

Now Iím completely at a loss. The car sat out in the cold for 4+ hours and started up like nothing happened. Iím going to swap in the new camshaft position sensor tomorrow and see what happens.

I also want to throw in some octane boosters and a full tank of gas and do a run on the highway. Any specific brands of boosters you guys use?

AZ Member #

Donít use octane booster. Buy some of the fuel injector cleaner from the dealer or maybe some BG44K. The effects will be minimal or non existent but so will most store bought octane boosters. 😀
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, NGK BKR8EIX plugs, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr

AZ Member #

Now Iím completely at a loss. The car sat out in the cold for 4+ hours and started up like nothing happened. Iím going to swap in the new camshaft position sensor tomorrow and see what happens.

I also want to throw in some octane boosters and a full tank of gas and do a run on the highway. Any specific brands of boosters you guys use?

dont waste your money, just put in some shell premium and go for a spin... there is no ethanol in it.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

dont waste your money, just put in some shell premium and go for a spin... there is no ethanol in it.
    There is in the V Power 93 at the station I use. Thatís up to the station owner to choose pure gas or 10% ethanol.

AZ Member #

There is in the V Power 93 at the station I use. Thatís up to the station owner to choose pure gas or 10% ethanol.
    Donít use octane booster. Buy some of the fuel injector cleaner from the dealer or maybe some BG44K. The effects will be minimal or non existent but so will most store bought octane boosters.
    Thanks guys I filled up with Shell VPower 91 which in Canada is the max octane Shell uses at least in my area but itís pure gas no ethanol. I put in the new sensor this morning and started bone cold from sitting overnight in the garage. There was no issue starting up and at idle.

AZ Member #

Maybe the no ethanol in Shell premium is straight across the board in the Canadian market? Here in the US we have both depending on the station but there arenít many pure gas stations. Ethanol isnít a problem on modern cars that are built for up to 10% usage anyway. Only on cars built before 2001 and most of them can handle it too. I donít believe pure gas will help blow out any residue more than new 10% ethanol gas would, will it? Ethanol in modern cars isnít really a bad thing.

AZ Member #

In Canada Shell V power is no ethanol. Yet another reason to move

2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Maybe the no ethanol in Shell premium is straight across the board in the Canadian market? Here in the US we have both depending on the station but there arenít many pure gas stations. Ethanol isnít a problem on modern cars that are built for up to 10% usage anyway. Only on cars built before 2001 and most of them can handle it too. I donít believe pure gas will help blow out any residue more than new 10% ethanol gas would, will it? Ethanol in modern cars isnít really a bad thing.
    I don't personally know but from what I've seen online cars built for ethanol like you said there is no advantage to pure gas. Even in tests pure gas doesn't really clean or create that much less carbon buildup and in some the 10% ethanol blend was even better than the pure gas. I think there is some test that show the ethanol eating away/wearing down the metals though? Anyway I don't strictly run pure gas I just never go lower than 91 octane.

AZ Member #

I don't personally know but from what I've seen online cars built for ethanol like you said there is no advantage to pure gas. Even in tests pure gas doesn't really clean or create that much less carbon buildup and in some the 10% ethanol blend was even better than the pure gas. I think there is some test that show the ethanol eating away/wearing down the metals though? Anyway I don't strictly run pure gas I just never go lower than 91 octane.
    ethanol attracts moisture so you can get water in your tank if you let ethanol based gas sit in your tank. Not saying its the problem here but just one of the first thing I would eliminate if I had rough running conditions.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

I wouldnít concern yourself with gas that has only been sitting for a month. If you had moisture in your tank mixed with your gas adding pure gas or E10 wonít make a difference. The octane rating between the 2 will still be the same and adding more octane wonít defeat moisture. All you can really do is suck all that gas out and replace it, fill the tank with fresh gas to dilute the moisture further and drive it out of there or try to add one of those moisture eliminating additives.

I wouldnít be concerned about it anyway. A month isnít a long time. Just fill up like you did and drive it.

AZ Member #

ethanol attracts moisture so you can get water in your tank if you let ethanol based gas sit in your tank. Not saying its the problem here but just one of the first thing I would eliminate if I had rough running conditions.
    I didn't know this learn something new every day.

I wouldnít concern yourself with gas that has only been sitting for a month. If you had moisture in your tank mixed with your gas adding pure gas or E10 wonít make a difference. The octane rating between the 2 will still be the same and adding more octane wonít defeat moisture. All you can really do is suck all that gas out and replace it, fill the tank with fresh gas to dilute the moisture further and drive it out of there or try to add one of those moisture eliminating additives.
    I wouldnít be concerned about it anyway. A month isnít a long time. Just fill up like you did and drive it.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking drive out the gas and fill up to get rid of anything lingering in the lines.

AZ Member #

agreed a month isn't a long time , but when you have temps a month ago of +8 and it has now dropped to -13 the moisture literally drops out of the air in a closed environment. I have a car that was developed decaades befoe ethanol and the fuel system is not at all tolerant to moisture as it wasn't built for that so I try to stay on top of gas sitting.
    These cars were built for it so I wouldn't think its much of an issue.
    But I agree. fill er up and go wind it up on the 401 .. in fact OP if you want some free airplane fuel you can pump some out of the ditch out my way.. lol .. they are still cleaning up from that tanker roll over...
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

agreed a month isn't a long time , but when you have temps a month ago of +8 and it has now dropped to -13 the moisture literally drops out of the air in a closed environment. I have a car that was developed decaades befoe ethanol and the fuel system is not at all tolerant to moisture as it wasn't built for that so I try to stay on top of gas sitting.
    These cars were built for it so I wouldn't think its much of an issue.
    But I agree. fill er up and go wind it up on the 401 .. in fact OP if you want some free airplane fuel you can pump some out of the ditch out my way.. lol .. they are still cleaning up from that tanker roll over...
    haha looks like I have to go for some late night runs. 1-2AM is the best time I found to really boot it without worrying but then again it depends where.

AZ Member #

naw don't need to be crazy .. just take her out on the 403 for 10 minutes you just want to warm her up and have the evap system kick in for the tank.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

naw don't need to be crazy .. just take her out on the 403 for 10 minutes you just want to warm her up and have the evap system kick in for the tank.
    Damn that was my excuse to go nuts lol. Yeah I already took it on the QEW Walkers to Third Line and the traffic was light this morning. I wasn't flying down the highway but got up to 120KMh a few times following the flow of taffic in the fast lane. I'm going to do the same tomorrow but I haven't had any rough idle since midday yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast