Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Brakes and Rotors

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I read quite a few posts about brakes and rotors here and it seems that about half the people recommend replacing the rotors at each brake job and half think that it's a ploy to sell more rotors.

Giving credit to both sides, what do people think about:

1. If the rotors are as disposable as pads, why pay a lot of money to buy expensive pads. Wouldn't one want to get decent rotors but not expensive ones, since they are going to be thrown away at the next brake job, which happens fairly frequently with these B8s? It's not like a cheaper rotor is going to be made of rubber. They are still made to standards, right?

2. Given above and Akebono ceramic pads, what would be a decent cheaper rotor?

Thanks.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You should also measure the remaining thickness to determine if you have adequate pad & disc life left. If either is at the limit, replace obviously. I would give myself .5 mm on the disc and 1 mm on the pad to be safe. But if you're in there anyway, might as well.

Disc-wise, I've run EBCs, brakeperformance.com (which also gives an AZ discount), and, most recently, Centric High Carbon. I like the High Carbon discs--pretty inexpensive and made by a good company (Centric owns Stop Tech), but they are blanks, not drilled/slotted (if it makes a difference to you).

Pad-wise, respectively to above, I've used RedStuff (dusted a lot for me for some reason), Hawk HPS (REALLY great life with expected dust), and Centric Posi-Quiet pads. All were quiet and gave good braking performance. The Hawks were probably the best and had a TON of life left when I sold them. However, I've read over the last couple months about Wearever Gold ceramic pads, and they are both dirt cheap and work amazingly, according to folks on here. Something to consider if you are not dead set on Akebono.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

Meyle rotors will be your cheapest best option for rotors. Can do all for corners with akebono pads for around $400.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 2, 034 SC pulley, JHM 179mm Crank, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge