Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Exclamation Mechanic said internals pierced oil pan?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have a 2003 a4 1.8t 5spd Lowered

To me it appeared that my oil pan cracked found the exact spot and etc mainly because when I put oil in it comes right out. The mechanic called me today and said from what he saw it looks like the oil pan was pierced from the inside out. He told me I'm going to have to get a new engine. I've never heard of this before. I still have yet to see for myself but I'm going to see as soon as they open in the morning. Any input. I dont want to sell the car

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

What happened prior to the oil leak? Was the engine running OK? Any funny noises or misfires?

Since you are lowered it's possible that you hit something in the road and cracked the pan.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

The engine was running fine held 20lbs of boost fine, I had an oil leak coming from the tensioner gasket (half moon seal) that is it. Same thing I figured, I hit a bad bump because this isn't the first time I cracked the oil pan. My internals are forged so I don't think that's a possibility. From the engine diagram I'm not seeing how something can pierce my oil pan from the inside out. The mechanic said my engine is no good

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

For the pan to have been pierced from the inside, something catastrophic would have needed to happen. Does the engine run now? Even for a second before quickly shutting it off? If so, I'd be looking for a new (actual) mechanic.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

I don't see anything there which indicates an internal failure.
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    I don't see anything there which indicates an internal failure.
    Agreed. That is a crack from bottoming out. The next big question will be did it get damaged from being run with no oil, that's a pretty big leak.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Senior Member Three Rings bakedcorn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 White A3 Teknic S-Line with 19's

I agree pic number 4 proves an external impact played a huge role here, Iíd like to know the mechanics logic

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    His - 2015 Audi S3 Technik Florett Silver Metallic on 19's
    Hers - 2016 Audi A3 Technik S-Line Glacier White Metallic on 19's

"I have nightmares that I'm going to wake up, and everyone's driving a Prius and living in a condo, and we're all getting health insurance".
    - Kid Rock

AZ Member #

So he didnít take off the oil pan. He said when he put it in the lift from the way it looks it seems as if the connecting rod disconnected from the crankshaft and dented the oil pan. Is this plausible?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Preacha View Post
    So he didnít take off the oil pan. He said when he put it in the lift from the way it looks it seems as if the connecting rod disconnected from the crankshaft and dented the oil pan. Is this plausible?
    No. You have three posts saying it was an eternal hit and your still asking?

How did it get on the lift , was it driven?

Who was driving when it happened and how long was it driven after the oil light came on? Also, that a pretty good hit how did the person driving not notice? If they didn't notice the pan hitting i'm not hopeful they noticed the oil light coming on and shut the motor down.

To me the only question is did it get damaged from being driven / run with no oil. The motor may have thrown a rod, but that would be from being run dry. Also, most time you lose a rod it goes out the side of the block. Typically, the bottom of the pan is way too far away to poke a rod through.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1-8t-rod-knock
    Last edited by Kevin C; 01-12-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Quote Originally Posted by Sire Preacha View Post
    Definitely plausible. Although I think it is apparent that isn't what happened to your engine.

I once knocked a fist sized hole in the side of an engine block of a TR2 when a rod bolt broke off of one of the connecting rods. Believe it or not all I had to do was replace the rod bolt/nut and patch the hole in the block.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla / Eibach ProKit / Koni Yellows / H-Sport F&R Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    No. You have three posts saying it was an eternal hit and your still asking?

How did it get on the lift , was it driven?

Who was driving when it happened and how long was it driven after the oil light came on. Also, that a pretty good hit how did the person driving not notice? If they didn't notice the pan hitting i'm not hopeful they noticed the oil light coming on and shut the motor down. Something seems odd. Was the car loaned out, stolen or was this a DUI thing? My gut feel is there is more to the story.

To me the only question is did it get damaged from being driven / run with no oil. The motor may have thrown a rod, but that would be from being run dry. Also, most time you lose a rod it goes out the side of the block. The bottom of the pan is way too far away to poke a rod through.
    No, it was pushed. I havenít turned it on or driven it since the pan cracked. Iíve always towed it and pushed it for when it needs to be moved.

AZ Member #

He basically gave me the Iíve seen it a thousand times story and to prevent me from doing a rebuilt. Iím still running a K03 turbo though so I doubt thereís enough power to cause internal damage as he described with my forged internals, but Iím not a formally trained mechanic

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get the pan replaced.

When the pan is dropped, things can be inspected pretty clearly once the windage tray is moved to the side. In my opinion from the looks of that deep gash section by the oil return drain, you simply bottomed out and cracked the oil pan. Most likely a simple oil pan replacement fix, then invest in a metal belly pan.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

Looks like external impact damage to me!!
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'll add my voice to the choir, totally looks like external damage to me as well. Get yourself a new pan and to prevent re-occurrence possibly a skid plate. I've got an Evolution Thor which has saved my oil pan many times over...

Active Member Two Rings Mokacrow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Auto, 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro

Pics # 2, 3 & 4 all show signs of road rash. I've seen some winter rims in better condition! lol

If you take into consideration the damage location from Pic #2, it would be very plausible that the crack was created by the upward pressure in the middle of the pan. Taking it off will help with assessing the damage.

If you're unable to do the work yourself, talk with your mechanic. If they seem like they could accept making a wrong diagnosis and still fix the actual problem, carry on. If you think they're going to stick to their guns about it being INTERNAL and not budge, find a new mechanic for this job.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Definitely plausible. Although I think it is apparent that isn't what happened to your engine.

I once knocked a fist sized hole in the side of an engine block of a TR2 when a rod bolt broke off of one of the connecting rods. Believe it or not all I had to do was replace the rod bolt/nut and patch the hole in the block.
    Agreed, I have seen them out the pan, it's just more of a 1 in a 100 kind of thing..... I included a photo so the OP know what to expect.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=524439

Also, if you ever throw a block, this is what it looks like.

Fun search!

Good luck with your engine, with any luck its in better shape than the ones I linked to.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

why didn't the mechanic quickly drop the oil pan to visually confirm, and text you a picture

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've got a 1.8T from a 2001 Audi TT, with a wiring harness, ECU, and a K04 turbo. It's all together. It is an AMU engine from a 225hp TT. The ECU is chipped from GIAC and the wiring harness is almost new. It has about 10kmi on it. Sell it all for $1k plus shipping if you get to go that route. Heck, the hardness alone cost me $1k when I bought it new.
    You could build it up with new internals and have it literally dropped in.
    Engine ran fine when taken out of the car. It has been stored inside.
    I hope you don't need to go that route, but if you d ando, let me know. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is you would probably need to change your MAF sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tropheusman View Post
    I've got a 1.8T from a 2001 Audi TT, with a wiring harness, ECU, and a K04 turbo. It's all together. It is an AMU engine from a 225hp TT. The ECU is chipped from GIAC and the wiring harness is almost new. It has about 10kmi on it. Sell it all for $1k plus shipping if you get to go that route. Heck, the hardness alone cost me $1k when I bought it new.
    You could build it up with new internals and have it literally dropped in.
    Engine ran fine when taken out of the car. It has been stored inside.
    I hope you don't need to go that route, but if you d ando, let me know. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is you would probably need to change your MAF sensor.
    I heard TT engines don't fit the B6

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Add me to the external impact crowd. As mentioned earlier, pic #4 shows where the drain plug area was hit and that's what likely caused the large crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    why didn't the mechanic quickly drop the oil pan to visually confirm, and text you a picture
    The oil pan isn't exactly "quick" to just drop... mechanic would be better off using a boroscope to look inside for a thrown rod if he has access to one.

Quote Originally Posted by tropheusman View Post
    The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is you would probably need to change your MAF sensor.

The K04 would be no good to him as well... mk1 TT/Mk4 Golf turbos are different (transverse vs. longitudinal applications), not to mention other things that would need to be changed.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    I heard TT engines don't fit the B6
    Yes, that may be the case. I was just thinking that. The TT engine is transverse and the a4 is longitudinal. At least in the way they are mounted. I cannot be sure if you can direct fit them.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yup, you'd need to deal with the turbo inlet and exhaust as well as the TT uses a halted system for Quattro.
    Sorry man, it wasn't thought through...more coffee before early morning posts.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I will join too. Definitely an external impact from the look of the crack. I wouldn't trust the mechanic that thinks he knows everything just by externally analyze something. fr3zno is right he needs to use a boroscope or if it was me I would just spend some time and remove the oil cooler and the whole adapter to look at the crank and the rods.

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Avant 03A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Either way that pan is coming off. Regrardless of what caused it.
    So dropping the pan and confirming whats broken is the next step.
    I would NOT trust that shop's forensic ability after:
    1) Seeing an oil pain with a HUGE smashed flat road-rash portion and a damaged oil drain bolt
    2) Claiming the damage came from the engine internally.
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do U have a Bentley/Dealer Manual & Tools to work on UR car properly?
    Hit-or-miss expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick. YEAH I'M BACK!
    BUILD? Click & be Amazed!
    Avant>Sedan! Click