Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thumbs up *1st startup* Post-timing job

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well, I fired it up the other night and thankfully nothing exploded : ) Once it came to life and didn't display any leaks, weird noises, fires or spirits of dead relatives, I stopped feeling nauseous and realized I wouldn't have to sleep in the fetal position in the garage that night. My main concern stemmed from not having done the 30 degree back/forth crank rotation to set the tensioners. The JHM video has you just set the wedges in good and tight, with the setting pins removed from the tensioners. Before I started it, I pulled the VC's and checked the timing again through a few rotations. It was spot on, so I proceeded.
    I pulled the fuel pump fuse and did 3 cranking intervals of 20 seconds, about 30 seconds apart before startup which I figure prevented some of the startup racket I've heard others talk about. Here's the vid:

I didn't run it too long that time, as I didn't have a full coolant tank yet. I got that set and ran it for about 30min last night. Operating temp reached without incident, no CEL's yet (DP's were installed, so I'm anticipating that), the post-work smoke seems to have subsided, so I'm thinking all is alright. I'll finish re-assembly, bleed the clutch again, etc this weekend and report

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Nice Work

Will be doing this soon once I get my heads back from the machine shop and new rings installed.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I had the heads re-freshed/pressure tested and did new head gaskets/bolts, re-sealed the oil pan upper and lower and did all the little O-rings and seals inside too. I stopped short of a re-ring, as the cyl walls looked great. .....and those rings are mad $$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings jakeoboy67's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    mk2 Jetta Tdi

Congrats man !

the first drive after the timing job will be fun.(new car feeling)

Veteran Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats. Keeping my fingers crossed for as successful outcome as yours.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk