Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

motor mount: plug on both or just one?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I searched a bit and didn't find anything definitive and the car is at a friends house so I can't just run out and check. help please?

I have the car in service position (see the low oil pressure thread). My driver side motor mount is leaking so I ordered new ones to do before I put it all back together. Only one of the new mounts has the plug, I was under the assumption from the pics on the website that they both have the plug. so did I get a bad mount or does only one side have the plug?

thanks!

Established Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux

I recently replaced both motor mounts on my 09 Avant and both sides have connectors and if not connected throw a fault code, that is my A4 and not sure about other model years

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

from what I have read only the drivers side has the plug ....

But in my car neither did ( 2014 ) but I bought the one with the plug anyway and just threw it in. Neither were leaking ( maybe they got rid of those and its solid ) . but I replaced because the aluminum housing just rotted off.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

mine's a 2012 so right between yours. if the older one had 2 plugs and the newer one had 0 plugs, maybe mine splits the difference and has one plug. LOL

I'll have to run over and check it out

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4...gine/Mount/OE/
    It appears the mounts for engine with an automatic transmission have the wiring, but the mounts for the engine with a manual transmission do not.
    The wiring diagram mentions "only for automatic transmission".

What's curious is the diagram for the 2.0T from May 2008 references only a N144, left engine mount valve.
    For the 3.0T from Nov 2008, 2.0T from Nov 2011, and 3.0T from Nov 2011, both the N144 (left) and N145 (right) are referenced.
    But my 2009 does have plugs on the left and right side. Wonder if the right side wiring is there but not actually implemented.
    2009 A4 Avant 2.0T quattro Prestige, 177k miles

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Motor mounts with electrical connections?.....and I thought Id heard it all.

AZ Member #

My 2011 has plugs on both sides.
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by daughtersA4 View Post
    Motor mounts with electrical connections?.....and I thought Id heard it all.
    has magnetic fluid in it, an electrical current polarizes the fluid and it stiffens the mount.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    has magnetic fluid in it, an electrical current polarizes the fluid and it stiffens the mount.
    This is an explanation I found about how they work when I did mine some time ago.

"the way the mounts work is that there is a fluid chamber with a plastic body in the middle of it, with small channel cut through it. this allows fluid from the top chamber, through the plastic body, to the bottom chamber. the bottom chamber is rubber lined and can deform under pressure. there is also an airway vented to atmosphere, with a rubber membrane separating the fluid from the atmosphere. a solenoid valve, controlled by the motronic, can open or close the airway.

below 1100 rpm (i.e idle), the engine vibrations are not enough to force fluid from the top chamber, through the passageway to the bottom chamber. the airway is open (solenoid valve open). the rubber membrane creates a soft cushion which absorbs the high frequency vibrations.

above 1100 rpm the soleniod valve is closed which blocks the airway and so "hardens" the mount (the fluid has nowhere to go). thus the mount is effectively solid.

the high frequency vibrations at speed are absorbed by the membrane (as in the idle case), while the more damaging low frequency vibrations cause the fluid to force itself through the chamber in the plastic body to the lower chamber, forcing the (lower) rubber chamber to distort - effectively absorbing the vibrations."
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    This is an explanation I found about how they work when I did mine some time ago.

"the way the mounts work is that there is a fluid chamber with a plastic body in the middle of it, with small channel cut through it. this allows fluid from the top chamber, through the plastic body, to the bottom chamber. the bottom chamber is rubber lined and can deform under pressure. there is also an airway vented to atmosphere, with a rubber membrane separating the fluid from the atmosphere. a solenoid valve, controlled by the motronic, can open or close the airway.

below 1100 rpm (i.e idle), the engine vibrations are not enough to force fluid from the top chamber, through the passageway to the bottom chamber. the airway is open (solenoid valve open). the rubber membrane creates a soft cushion which absorbs the high frequency vibrations.

above 1100 rpm the soleniod valve is closed which blocks the airway and so "hardens" the mount (the fluid has nowhere to go). thus the mount is effectively solid.

the high frequency vibrations at speed are absorbed by the membrane (as in the idle case), while the more damaging low frequency vibrations cause the fluid to force itself through the chamber in the plastic body to the lower chamber, forcing the (lower) rubber chamber to distort - effectively absorbing the vibrations."
    oh wow then I guess not all VAG cars do it the same way.. that is interesting stuff, im cutting open my old mounts then for a look see..
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The operation jfo describes is documented on pages 16 and 17 of SSP 183. But the only one I could find is in German.

motor mount.jpg

But couldn't find anything that confirmed the ones in the B8 operate in this manner.
    2009 A4 Avant 2.0T quattro Prestige, 177k miles

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My car only had the plug for the motor mount on the driver side. No plug passenger side under the turbo. Install was super easy, the write-ups elsewhere in this forum were helpful.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sweathog View Post
    My car only had the plug for the motor mount on the driver side. No plug passenger side under the turbo. Install was super easy, the write-ups elsewhere in this forum were helpful.
    cut open your old one with a dremmel and fill us in :)
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

I've not seen this code, but have read that others with B8's have encountered an N144 fault code....Engine Mount Solenoid Valve Open Circuit. I replaced mine about 2 years ago and based on the info I found assumed that there is a solenoid inside the casting. I did open the rubber bellows to check out the diaphragm but never opened the casting, so can't confirm the existence of a solenoid. I've seen pics of other mounts that have a solenoid mounted on the outside.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    cut open your old one with a dremmel and fill us in :)
    I may after I get all my other issues worked out