Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 08 2018
    AZ Member #
    430664
    Location
    North Jersey, USA

    How are you guys liking your B9 S4's? Any issues, concerns, or complaints?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

    I'm looking to purchase a car next month and I pretty much have three in my sights: a used 2018 Audi S4, a used 2017/2018 Audi S3, or a used 2017+ Cadillac ATS-V. I know, I know, one of these things is not like the other...but what can I say--I personally think the ATS-V is the best looking car in the segment and I'd be indulging the little kid inside myself.

    Regardless, living in North Jersey where we usually get a solid season of snow and ice, I'm pretty set on AWD which leaves me to the two Audi's and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. The Audi S3 is a little small for my taste but it's good in the performance department and with APR's mods, they can get stupid fast for a few grand. The one thing I'm having a hard time getting over is the interior; while its made with nice materials, it just seems to bland for a $35-40k car. It just does nothing for me, personally.

    The Audi S4, on the other hand, has an extremely nice interior with a really good layout and is still plenty fast in its stock form. APR, from what I understand, hasn't been able to crack the B9 S4's ECU yet but when it eventually happens, I'm sure we'll see some impressive gains over the stock numbers. The B9 S4 seems to check every one of my boxes (aside from remote start but that's just an Audi thing, I think) but finding one with low miles below the $50k mark with the options I want/need (S Sport Package, Navigation package, and Black Optic Package) is proving to be difficult. Has anyone made the jump from an 8V S3 to a B9 S4 and is willing to chime in about whether or not it's worth the extra ~$10k?

    With that being said, how is everyone liking their B9 S4's? I'm finding an extremely small amount of real (user) reviews on it. Are there any known/common issues with the platform? From what I've read, the 8V platform is rock solid so it's another thing tipping the balance. Whatever car I'm going to get, is most likely going to last me 5+ years so I want to make sure that I'm not going to step into a ticking time bomb.

  2. #2
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Hugh@EuropaParts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 22 2010
    AZ Member #
    63043
    Location
    Piscataway, NJ

    ATS-V + winter tires /thread
    Hubert
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 800.877.7033 x 101
    Email: hubert@europaparts.com
    Facebook: Like Us on Facebook


  3. #3
    Senior Member Two Rings doady22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 28 2010
    AZ Member #
    55304
    Location
    ft collins colorado

    I switched from Dual Pulley B8 that was also ultracharged all done by APR to a B9 S5 Sportback. What won it over for me is the looks the for S5 Sportback, Audi is usually subtle with their cars but the hard lines on the exterior is just razor sharp. Hop in on the inside and Audi just made a great interior even better. Plus the tech is awesome. It was a toss up between an S7 and the S5 the interior on the S5 was just so much nicer the the S7. Obviously the TT V8 was awesome but I was very surprised by the performance of the S5 and it was a pleasant surprise. I think the car is very underrated as far as power goes and when they eventually come out with a tune I think it will be a monster.
    2018 S5 Sportback Glacier White Prestige

  4. #4
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 08 2018
    AZ Member #
    430664
    Location
    North Jersey, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh@EuropaParts View Post
    ATS-V + winter tires /thread
    The ATS-V is an amazing performance bargain considering you can find a relatively low mileage 2016/2017 for under $40k and like I said in my initial post, they're probably the best looking car in the segment (especially with the carbon package...) but what's off-putting me is the Cue system. Let me start by saying that I currently own a 2013 Ford Focus ST with Ford's My Ford Touch SYNC2 and it's relatively slow and clunky, but seeing reviews on the actual Cue system and the fact that someone thought replacing almost all physical buttons/knobs with touch controls was a good idea...I don't know if I'd be able to handle it. The biggest thing is the swipe-volume control that's often unresponsive...it just seems so, so stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by doady22 View Post
    I switched from Dual Pulley B8 that was also ultracharged all done by APR to a B9 S5 Sportback. What won it over for me is the looks the for S5 Sportback, Audi is usually subtle with their cars but the hard lines on the exterior is just razor sharp. Hop in on the inside and Audi just made a great interior even better. Plus the tech is awesome. It was a toss up between an S7 and the S5 the interior on the S5 was just so much nicer the the S7. Obviously the TT V8 was awesome but I was very surprised by the performance of the S5 and it was a pleasant surprise. I think the car is very underrated as far as power goes and when they eventually come out with a tune I think it will be a monster.
    Thanks for your input! The S5 is certainly sharp and the four door sportback looks great. The extra price puts it a bit out of my budget but I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the B9 platform. I also do agree that once tunes start coming out, we're going to see some serious power. Basic piggyback tunes have already brought the B9's to ~400AWHP...

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 01 2007
    AZ Member #
    18473
    Location
    Kansas City

    I've only had my '19 S4 for a week, but I've managed to put 800 miles on it. Previously, I had an '18 SQ5 for 10k miles. Prior to that I was doing the two car thing, with an HCI C6 Z06 and a '17 Passat.

    I am very, very pleased with the S4. It's substantially more exciting than the SQ5, which was a horrible choice for me (no kids/animals and really no reason to have moved to a CUV after the Z06/Passat combo.) The S4 is quick..and I got used to 550whp on pump gas. I did not cross shop, as I tend to be an VW/Audi loyalist, so I have no idea what the ATS-V is like to live with, but RWD sounds like it'd be a problem for you. The interior on my car is an amazing place to be, as I spec'd my car with Nappa and B&O. I am also one of the guys that is anxious for APR to figure the ECU out.

    I personally don't like small displacement motors for a fun/sports car. I doubt the S3 feels under-powered, but I really enjoy my DD to be able to loaf along effortlessly, which the S4 can certainly do.

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 09 2018
    AZ Member #
    422123
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas

    How are you guys liking your B9 S4's? Any issues, concerns, or complaints?

    I also considered an ATS-V, but ended up with a slightly used B9 S4. It seems to be the balance in size and power between the two. If you want the best performance and handling, ATS-V hands down. It also has a manual available.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  7. #7
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 08 2018
    AZ Member #
    430664
    Location
    North Jersey, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    I've only had my '19 S4 for a week, but I've managed to put 800 miles on it. Previously, I had an '18 SQ5 for 10k miles. Prior to that I was doing the two car thing, with an HCI C6 Z06 and a '17 Passat.

    I am very, very pleased with the S4. It's substantially more exciting than the SQ5, which was a horrible choice for me (no kids/animals and really no reason to have moved to a CUV after the Z06/Passat combo.) The S4 is quick..and I got used to 550whp on pump gas. I did not cross shop, as I tend to be an VW/Audi loyalist, so I have no idea what the ATS-V is like to live with, but RWD sounds like it'd be a problem for you. The interior on my car is an amazing place to be, as I spec'd my car with Nappa and B&O. I am also one of the guys that is anxious for APR to figure the ECU out.

    I personally don't like small displacement motors for a fun/sports car. I doubt the S3 feels under-powered, but I really enjoy my DD to be able to loaf along effortlessly, which the S4 can certainly do.
    I'm happy to hear that coming from a ZO6, you didn't feel like it was as much of a downgrade in performance as it seems like on paper. Then again, in my opinion, the ZO6's power is just largely unusable during normal daily driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkitect View Post
    I also considered an ATS-V, but ended up with a slightly used B9 S4. It seems to be the balance in size and power between the two. If you want the best performance and handling, ATS-V hands down. It also has a manual available.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Funny enough, I'm specifically looking for an auto transmission in my next car. After driving manual for the past 7 years, I'm frankly a little sick of it--especially when I hit NJ traffic. I do still have a '94 Corvette with a 6-speed to satisfy any rowing urges that may come up.

    I agree that the ATS-V seems like the best in performance...hell, it's beaten the M3 and AMG C63 in performance for the last few years but since I'm planning on daily driving what I get, I'll have to live with the baggage of whatever it is. Like I said in a previous response, looking at videos and reviews; I just don't know if I'd be able to live with CUE...

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2012
    AZ Member #
    91685
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraSieghart View Post
    Has anyone made the jump from an 8V S3 to a B9 S4 and is willing to chime in about whether or not it's worth the extra ~$10k
    I have both. I made the s3 (basically FBO) my canyon carving weekend fun car and the s4 the daily commuter family hauler.

    No matter how much superior tech is added to the b9 s4 (sport diff, torsen), it still isn't as good on the twisties (tech is not making up for the size and weight difference), and the gearing makes it deceptively fast. The S3 really shines as a car that is more fun. The turn-in is ridiculously good, you can set it up to be balanced or have the rear come out first in the turns, and it just feels faster due to the shorter gears (stock for stock).

    However, the S4 is a much much nicer place to live and if you need a more comfortable space for passengers and more trunk room, its hard to beat as an overall well-rounded car. Once the ECU is cracked, it should have gobs of power making it more fun in a straight line too.

    If I had to reduce down to one car, I'd take the b9 s4.

  9. #9
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 08 2018
    AZ Member #
    430664
    Location
    North Jersey, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by will13k7 View Post
    I have both. I made the s3 (basically FBO) my canyon carving weekend fun car and the s4 the daily commuter family hauler.

    No matter how much superior tech is added to the b9 s4 (sport diff, torsen), it still isn't as good on the twisties (tech is not making up for the size and weight difference), and the gearing makes it deceptively fast. The S3 really shines as a car that is more fun. The turn-in is ridiculously good, you can set it up to be balanced or have the rear come out first in the turns, and it just feels faster due to the shorter gears (stock for stock).

    However, the S4 is a much much nicer place to live and if you need a more comfortable space for passengers and more trunk room, its hard to beat as an overall well-rounded car. Once the ECU is cracked, it should have gobs of power making it more fun in a straight line too.

    If I had to reduce down to one car, I'd take the b9 s4.
    There we go--thanks for you input.

    I will say that I'm looking for a comfortable daily driver first, and a sport sedan second. If it was the other way around, I'd probably go for the ATS-V or even just save an extra $5-10k on a used S3 and bring it up to Stage 3+. I understand what you're saying about the S3 being a more capable car in turns and that makes sense, but as I do not go to tracks nor do I live near any canyons (unfortunately), I'm not sure I'd be able to take advantage of the extra capabilities. You've given me a lot to think about and with more and more responses, I am leaning towards the B9 S4 (although I suppose that's partly because of the sub-section I decided to post it ).

    Regardless, I'm still wary of the new-ness of the B9 platform. If I decide to go with one at like 25,000 miles (and that's really the highest I want to go), I want to be as sure as I can possibly be that it won't have unexpected issues once the factory warranty ends.

    Maybe that's just me being unrealistic.

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings ywang98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02 2018
    AZ Member #
    430265
    Location
    Orange County, California

    Came from a 2008 R32, modified. Civilized is how I describe the S4 when compared with my R32. I wished I could have kept both, but I needed a 4-door car. As another poster said that the S4 is a much nicer place to live, but I miss the sound and the handling of my R32.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Three Rings MVR 155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 04 2013
    AZ Member #
    112675
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S4, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and 2002 Corvette Z06
    Location
    Bartlett, IL

    Cue is absolutely horrible in the Caddy......... I had a brand new Escalade ESV rental in Vail last year (drove it up from Denver) and it's just an awful platform!!! I have a Yukon Denali and the IntelliLink that GMC and Chevy uses is so much better. Audi's MMI is such a nice platform. That being said...... the ATS-V is a great performer but does lack the AWD. I think the S4 is a great choice that will check most (if not all) of the boxes for you.
    2013 S4/S-Tronic/Ice Silver/Black Alcantera/19" Peelers/B&O/MMI-Navi/Advance Key/Carbon Atlas Inlays/Sports diff.
    2002 Corvette Z06
    2015 GMC Yukon Denali

  12. #12
    Senior Member Two Rings vdubtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 24 2014
    AZ Member #
    297248
    Location
    Rockwall, TX

    10k miles in and not one single issue to speak of.

    Loving every mile of it.
    2018 S4 Prestige, Daytona Gray Pearl, Black Optic, S Sport, Napa Leather

    2012 A4 Premium Plus, Monsoon Gray, Quattro, Navi, Push Start. VCDS mods needle sweep, windows up/down with fob, no wink turns, fogs as cornering lights.

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 10 2017
    AZ Member #
    402560
    Location
    CT

    4,000 miles and couldnít be happier. Canít find anything to complain about tbh!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2016
    AZ Member #
    374365
    Location
    Europe

    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraSieghart View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm looking to purchase a car next month and I pretty much have three in my sights: a used 2018 Audi S4, a used 2017/2018 Audi S3, or a used 2017+ Cadillac ATS-V. I know, I know, one of these things is not like the other...but what can I say--I personally think the ATS-V is the best looking car in the segment and I'd be indulging the little kid inside myself.

    Regardless, living in North Jersey where we usually get a solid season of snow and ice, I'm pretty set on AWD which leaves me to the two Audi's and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. The Audi S3 is a little small for my taste but it's good in the performance department and with APR's mods, they can get stupid fast for a few grand. The one thing I'm having a hard time getting over is the interior; while its made with nice materials, it just seems to bland for a $35-40k car. It just does nothing for me, personally.

    The Audi S4, on the other hand, has an extremely nice interior with a really good layout and is still plenty fast in its stock form. APR, from what I understand, hasn't been able to crack the B9 S4's ECU yet but when it eventually happens, I'm sure we'll see some impressive gains over the stock numbers. The B9 S4 seems to check every one of my boxes (aside from remote start but that's just an Audi thing, I think) but finding one with low miles below the $50k mark with the options I want/need (S Sport Package, Navigation package, and Black Optic Package) is proving to be difficult. Has anyone made the jump from an 8V S3 to a B9 S4 and is willing to chime in about whether or not it's worth the extra ~$10k?

    With that being said, how is everyone liking their B9 S4's? I'm finding an extremely small amount of real (user) reviews on it. Are there any known/common issues with the platform? From what I've read, the 8V platform is rock solid so it's another thing tipping the balance. Whatever car I'm going to get, is most likely going to last me 5+ years so I want to make sure that I'm not going to step into a ticking time bomb.
    Coming from the EPL Stage 1 tuned S7 I can tell you I'm having 10x more fun with the s4(B9). S7 was a big boat what was only good for straight line speeding.
    I have also driven the S3 and S4 is miles ahead.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Three Rings wangshuo1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09 2016
    AZ Member #
    366958
    Location
    Seattle

    Had a S3 for a loaner and can't stand the interior (quality and space). Also the haldex system is meh at best
    2013 S5 Misano Red, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI+, CTS 180mm crank pulley (7PK1300 APR belt), APR Stage II, APR TCU tune, CR15, IE CAI
    2018 XC90 Inscription, B&W sound, Convenience Pkg, Air suspension

  16. #16
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 27 2016
    AZ Member #
    373894
    Location
    South Florida

    The ATS-V is fast as heck, but a P.O.S. in the inside. The fit and finish in the S4 is far superior. I too was in the market looking for a new ATS-V, but luckily for me, they discontinued the sedan and are now only producing coupes for 2019.
    2018 Navarra Blue S4 Premium +, Black Optics, Sport, Dynamic Steering, 5% SunTek CXP

  17. #17
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 29 2018
    AZ Member #
    419675
    My Garage
    B9 S4
    Location
    831 CA

    It is a little annoying that the screen isnt touch... The interface overall is good but sometimes i just wanna click something real quick. I do wish it had just a little more aggressive styling but over all love it.

  18. #18
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2017
    AZ Member #
    391450
    Location
    Mountain View California

    Love mine, a Tango Red Metallic and it runs great 13k miles on her. I put on an a Milltek non-resonated exhaust and it sounds amazing with that twin scroll turbo in the hot v config. I got a bunch of videos of it on an IG page for it: tango_s4

  19. #19
    Established Member Two Rings Indepth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2017
    AZ Member #
    411702
    Location
    OH

    Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    I've only had my '19 S4 for a week, but I've managed to put 800 miles on it. Previously, I had an '18 SQ5 for 10k miles. Prior to that I was doing the two car thing, with an HCI C6 Z06 and a '17 Passat.

    I am very, very pleased with the S4. It's substantially more exciting than the SQ5, which was a horrible choice for me (no kids/animals and really no reason to have moved to a CUV after the Z06/Passat combo.) The S4 is quick..and I got used to 550whp on pump gas. I did not cross shop, as I tend to be an VW/Audi loyalist, so I have no idea what the ATS-V is like to live with, but RWD sounds like it'd be a problem for you. The interior on my car is an amazing place to be, as I spec'd my car with Nappa and B&O. I am also one of the guys that is anxious for APR to figure the ECU out.

    I personally don't like small displacement motors for a fun/sports car. I doubt the S3 feels under-powered, but I really enjoy my DD to be able to loaf along effortlessly, which the S4 can certainly do.
    This is funny to read coming from the C6Z forums! Nice to see a fellow friend on another car forum - didn't realize you sold your C6Z and moved on though. :(

    I've been looking at the B9 S4's but also cross shopping with the RS3's, also looking at slightly used S6/7's or considering just saying screw it and jumping for a nice, used, RS7...
    His: 2011 Audi S4 Phantom Black Pearl w/DSG - Unitronic Stage 3 ECU & TCU | CTS 187/57 Pulley Setup | GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra | B8.5 Steering Wheel | 20% Tint | ECS CF Front Lip & Rear Diffuser

    Hers: 2014 Audi SQ5 Daytona Gray Pearl - Stock, for now...

    Racecar: 2007 Corvette Z06 Velocity Yellow (633rwhp/517rwtq) - H/C/I/E - Max Effort N/A Build

  20. #20
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 01 2007
    AZ Member #
    18473
    Location
    Kansas City

    Quote Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
    This is funny to read coming from the C6Z forums! Nice to see a fellow friend on another car forum - didn't realize you sold your C6Z and moved on though. :(

    I've been looking at the B9 S4's but also cross shopping with the RS3's, also looking at slightly used S6/7's or considering just saying screw it and jumping for a nice, used, RS7...
    Man, I still hop on those forums daily. I sold mine because the Army had me slotted for another deployment and I didn't want to store it for a whole year. I didn't do anything but oil changes during my 24k miles in it....absolutely miss the hell out of it and then ended up going elsewhere instead of the deployment. So..here I am.

    I tried to find an RS3 but there was seriously nothing available within 500 miles of me. I'm also a sucker for the Magma interior on the S4. I contemplated finding a CPO '16 S6/7, but the tech in my '18 SQ5 helped me realize I didn't want to step back, in that regard. If you still have your Z, I'd just do an S4.

  21. #21
    Established Member Two Rings Indepth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 28 2017
    AZ Member #
    411702
    Location
    OH

    Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    Man, I still hop on those forums daily. I sold mine because the Army had me slotted for another deployment and I didn't want to store it for a whole year. I didn't do anything but oil changes during my 24k miles in it....absolutely miss the hell out of it and then ended up going elsewhere instead of the deployment. So..here I am.

    I tried to find an RS3 but there was seriously nothing available within 500 miles of me. I'm also a sucker for the Magma interior on the S4. I contemplated finding a CPO '16 S6/7, but the tech in my '18 SQ5 helped me realize I didn't want to step back, in that regard. If you still have your Z, I'd just do an S4.
    I tend to avoid the forums lately, most of the useful information these days is contained within the Facebook group now unfortunately - I prefer a forum instead. Also have a bombshell Iíll be posting in regards to AHP soon so Iím sure a ban will be incoming for me on there since they nuthug that vendor... That sucks that you ended up selling for one reason and then not having it happen.

    If I search for a RS3 or RS7 Iíd search nationwide, fly there to buy, and drive it back. I love my B8, itís plenty quick for a daily in its dual pulley state but Iím hopeless and always want more power in the daily - hence the potential for an RS mode purchase.
    His: 2011 Audi S4 Phantom Black Pearl w/DSG - Unitronic Stage 3 ECU & TCU | CTS 187/57 Pulley Setup | GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra | B8.5 Steering Wheel | 20% Tint | ECS CF Front Lip & Rear Diffuser

    Hers: 2014 Audi SQ5 Daytona Gray Pearl - Stock, for now...

    Racecar: 2007 Corvette Z06 Velocity Yellow (633rwhp/517rwtq) - H/C/I/E - Max Effort N/A Build



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.