Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 2012 Audi A4 B8

  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2010
    AZ Member #
    59262
    Location
    Philadelphia

    2012 Audi A4 B8

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have an A4 with a April 2011 build date. Model year is 2012. 65,000 miles.

    It has always used oil between oil changes but recently seems to have gotten worse. Now it is using about a quart every 1,000 miles. Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2013
    AZ Member #
    106799
    Location
    Baltimore

    Quote Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
    I have an A4 with a April 2011 build date. Model year is 2012. 65,000 miles.

    It has always used oil between oil changes but recently seems to have gotten worse. Now it is using about a quart every 1,000 miles. Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Read the oil consumption sticky.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417963
    Location
    Orange County, CA.

    Quote Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
    I have an A4 with a April 2011 build date. Model year is 2012. 65,000 miles.

    It has always used oil between oil changes but recently seems to have gotten worse. Now it is using about a quart every 1,000 miles. Any ideas?

    Thanks
    I have the same year A4 and very similar production date. Donít know exactly at the moment. Anyway, I thought I had the piston ring issue and was burning up oil like crazy. My oil consumption issue however ended up being the PCV valve. As soon as I installed the new pcv valve on my car the excessive oil consumption went away. At 65k miles it likely has failed and there is good reason to get the latest revision of the valve.

    The PCV Valve is available on Amazon right now for $105. Iíd suggest starting there.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A82CWM4..._E-AoCb5R7GTMH

    Iíd also use Motul 8100 Excess 5w-40 motor oil from here forward if you arenít already. The Motul seems to help with oil consumption as well. (There are threads on this subject as well) Order it on amazon as well.

    Iíd bet good money itís your pcv valve. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 03 2013
    AZ Member #
    106799
    Location
    Baltimore

    Quote Originally Posted by daughtersA4 View Post
    I have the same year A4 and very similar production date. Donít know exactly at the moment. Anyway, I thought I had the piston ring issue and was burning up oil like crazy. My oil consumption issue however ended up being the PCV valve. As soon as I installed the new pcv valve on my car the excessive oil consumption went away. At 65k miles it likely has failed and there is good reason to get the latest revision of the valve.

    The PCV Valve is available on Amazon right now for $105. Iíd suggest starting there.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A82CWM4..._E-AoCb5R7GTMH

    Iíd also use Motul 8100 Excess 5w-40 motor oil from here forward if you arenít already. The Motul seems to help with oil consumption as well. (There are threads on this subject as well) Order it on amazon as well.

    Iíd bet good money itís your pcv valve. Good luck!
    Check your current pcv p/n, there are a few versions that are year specific.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417963
    Location
    Orange County, CA.

    Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
    Check your current pcv p/n, there are a few versions that are year specific.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    This is correct. The Amazon link I provided is the correct version for our year/build date. The ďAHĒ version.

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417963
    Location
    Orange County, CA.

    Quote Originally Posted by amulet1.8 View Post
    I'm going through some issues with my 2012 2.0. Oil consumption increased and I began getting CEL. Had major carbon build up on intake. I would suggest starting there. After a lot of digging and testing, it appears I have exhaust valve damage on one of my cylinders. I'm guessing this was the direct result of the excessive carbon build up. I'm at 68k miles when this issue started. I strongly suggest getting your intake valves cleaned to start!

    No offense but your response here is vague and likely inaccurate. We all have carbon build up on our intake valves but it wonít cause cylinder damage. Carbon build up is not the root cause of oil consumption issue.

    The pcv is an inexpensive attempt at fixing the problem. It should be replaced anyway at this point and with the revisions the pcvís have gone through can only help his situation.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by amulet1.8 View Post
    I'm going through some issues with my 2012 2.0. Oil consumption increased and I began getting CEL. Had major carbon build up on intake. I would suggest starting there. After a lot of digging and testing, it appears I have exhaust valve damage on one of my cylinders. I'm guessing this was the direct result of the excessive carbon build up. I'm at 68k miles when this issue started. I strongly suggest getting your intake valves cleaned to start!
    I get this was your experience but not typical, in fact carbon buildup is on the intake valve , not sure how it causes exhaust valve damage. What code were you getting if you don't mind me asking ?
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.