Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings S3_Miles's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question about Auto-locking feature - Looking to delay

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So briefly - Used my Carista to make it so that the car will auto-unlock upon touching door handle...and lock as soon as I close the door outside of the car. (thereby never needing to take fob out of pocket)

My issue is, if I need to open a passenger door or trunk, its kind of annoying because as soon as I close the door...the car locks...so I need to be jack-rabbit quick to open the other door or trunk before the primary door closes (make sense?) or leave the driver front/passenger front door open while I open the others.

In short, what I am hoping for is to add a 2-3 second delay in the locking action. This will give me enough time to go open another door or trunk before the car sees all doors closed and lock itself.

Anyone know how to do that? I can get a vagcom or OBD11 and do it that way...IF there is a way.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just leave the driver door open. Not aware of a timer option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Audizine mobile app

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

You don't have that small square button on the handle?

If you touch that button it locks all the doors.
    B5S4/A3S3RS3/Hawaii Forum Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

18 Daytona Gray Pearl S3
    Stock Daily

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3_Miles View Post
    So briefly - Used my Carista to make it so that the car will auto-unlock upon touching door handle...and lock as soon as I close the door outside of the car. (thereby never needing to take fob out of pocket)
    The car is already designed for this. When exiting the vehicle use your thumb to press the square indent on the handle and the vehicle will lock. When approaching the vehicle, place your hand on the inside of the handle and it will unlock itself.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

With the Carista mod the door locks by itself when you close the door, without you touching the handle. He's trying to set a delay in how long the auto lock waits before it locks.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by smirk View Post
    The car is already designed for this. When exiting the vehicle use your thumb to press the square indent on the handle and the vehicle will lock. When approaching the vehicle, place your hand on the inside of the handle and it will unlock itself.
    Apparently, there's an "Auto" lock feature that does away with pressing that square indent on the handle.
    2018 Audi S3 Premium Plus
    Navarra Blue Metallic/Magma Red - Technology, Dynamic, S Sport, Black Optic, Resonator Delete

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Makersmark View Post
    With the Carista mod the door locks by itself when you close the door, without you touching the handle. He's trying to set a delay in how long the auto lock waits before it locks.
    Didn't realized the car will auto lock right away (as soon as the door is closed). I would have guessed that this feature will lock after you have walked away a few feet (after it can no longer detect the key).
    2018 Audi S3 Premium Plus
    Navarra Blue Metallic/Magma Red - Technology, Dynamic, S Sport, Black Optic, Resonator Delete

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Makersmark View Post
    Yes...this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
    Didn't realized the car will auto lock right away (as soon as the door is closed). I would have guessed that this feature will lock after you have walked away a few feet (after it can no longer detect the key).
    Yes and yes. It locks right away...and would be awesome if there was a delay

Registered Member One Ring remzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18%20A3%20Quattro

Yep - you can delay it - need long coding ability though. I use a "different" obd device for this myself.

It's nice having that delay when you need to grab shit out of the car after exiting the cockpit - like kids and stuff lol.

Snows And Bees Deserts and Oceans Eleven
    Yeah, Well, that's just like, you know - your opinion, man.
    http://i1.wp.com/bulletin.equinoxpub...size=900%2C675

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by remzo View Post
    Yep - you can delay it - need long coding ability though. I use a "different" obd device for this myself.

It's nice having that delay when you need to grab shit out of the car after exiting the cockpit - like kids and stuff lol.

Snows And Bees Deserts and Oceans Eleven
    Gotcha...and thanks ;) - Time for me to seek out such a device ;)

Senior Member Three Rings bakedcorn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 White A3 Teknic S-Line with 19's

Question about Auto-locking feature - Looking to delay

I donít believe this is the case as Iíve walked away from my car and come back later to find the car is unlocked. Itís usually parked in the garage though so Iíll turn the car off, get out, close the garage door and go inside. Iíd return the next morning and the car is still unlocked without key in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    His - 2015 Audi S3 Technik Florett Silver Metallic on 19's
    Hers - 2016 Audi A3 Technik S-Line Glacier White Metallic on 19's

"I have nightmares that I'm going to wake up, and everyone's driving a Prius and living in a condo, and we're all getting health insurance".
    - Kid Rock