Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Zed 2.0's Avatar
    AZ Member #

RS5 break-in reduced power?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was able to do a back-to-back test drive of an RS5 sportback and S4 today. Both new with minimal miles, both with warm (but not fully to temp) motors. The RS5 barely felt any punchier than the S4. It felt significantly less powerful than the Giulia Quadrifoglio, and certainly not +100 hp over the S4.

Does the RS5 have some kind of break-in power limiting like M cars used to have? I'd love to know if I really got a head-to-head comparison.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I test drove an RS5 Sportback on friday and I've also test drove an S5 Sportback. I've never drove an S4 but I definitely felt the difference between the S5 SB and the RS5 SB so I'm not sure why you experience was different. The RS5 Sportback was like a rocket and throws you back the S5 SB pulls you back as well but no where near the same amount of force.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
    I test drove an RS5 Sportback on friday and I've also test drove an S5 Sportback. I've never drove an S4 but I definitely felt the difference between the S5 SB and the RS5 SB so I'm not sure why you experience was different. The RS5 Sportback was like a rocket and throws you back the S5 SB pulls you back as well but no where near the same amount of force.
    +1
    2019 RS5 Sportback - Nardo Gray (coming soon)
    2013 Q7 - Black (sold and gone)
    2011 A4 Prestige - Black(sold and gone...but missed)

Veteran Member Three Rings 4Chio's Avatar
    AZ Member #

+2
    2018 S6 Prestige sport
    2014 991 Cab C4S
    2018 S4 Prestige
    2017 Q7 Prestige
    (sold)
    2016 S3 Monsoon Gray Prestige | Sport seats| 19's W/ mag ride| Milltek Res valve
    2013 X5 M, 08 A6 4.2 Sline, 08 :.R32 ,07 S4 White/Black, 04 S4 6MT,

AZ Member #

Wonder if there was something wrong with the RS, then. It was definitely not "throw you back" power, unlike the Alfa (which is bonkers).

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
    Wonder if there was something wrong with the RS, then. It was definitely not "throw you back" power, unlike the Alfa (which is bonkers).
    Perhaps it was in a different mode than the S model you drove. It’s been awhile since my test drive and there are so many modes (comfort, sport, dynamic) that I don’t remember all of the details. Depending on the mode affects all sorts of the experience from transmission to exhaust to suspension and many more. Like you, I did a back to back “comparison” between the S5 SB and the RS5 Coupe as the SBs were not available last fall. My big question was the extra power worth $20k and it was so noticeable to me I knew it was after the drive. You should go drive the RS again and make sure your rep changes the different driving modes for you and explains how they work.
    2019 RS5 Sportback - Nardo Gray (coming soon)
    2013 Q7 - Black (sold and gone)
    2011 A4 Prestige - Black(sold and gone...but missed)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I can confirm without a date the new 2.9L does uncork a good bit after a couple hundred miles of break in. I have driven new ones of the truck and then daily drivers with 3-4k miles and they are two different cars. Don't write it off just yet. :)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DDIXON7 View Post
    I can confirm without a date the new 2.9L does uncork a good bit after a couple hundred miles of break in. I have driven new ones of the truck and then daily drivers with 3-4k miles and they are two different cars. Don't write it off just yet. :)
    This puts a smile on my face as the car already felt very fast and I was pleased with the performance. If it gets even better then I am definitely in for a treat!

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

Before I purchased my RS5, I drove it back-to-back with the S5 coupe. The RS5 was definitely much faster; however, in D or not in Dynamic does have an impact. I tried it out (only with the RS5) to see what it was like and it can easily "feel" less powerful when compared to the S5 depending on throttle input, etc. D and comfort really mute the car. I have never driven in D since purchasing and only occasionally do I put the suspension in Auto from Dynamic (everything else stays in Dynamic).
    2018 Audi RS5: AWE Touring (awaiting shipping)
    2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 Land Rover RRS - retired
    2012 BMW E92 M3 - retired

Active Member Two Rings TEKNIKA's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi RS5 | 2018 BMW M4 CP | 2017 Infiniti Q60S RS400

Quote Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post
    Before I purchased my RS5, I drove it back-to-back with the S5 coupe. The RS5 was definitely much faster; however, in D or not in Dynamic does have an impact. I tried it out (only with the RS5) to see what it was like and it can easily "feel" less powerful when compared to the S5 depending on throttle input, etc. D and comfort really mute the car. I have never driven in D since purchasing and only occasionally do I put the suspension in Auto from Dynamic (everything else stays in Dynamic).
    +1

I was able to do a back-to-back test drive of an RS5 sportback and S4 today. Both new with minimal miles, both with warm (but not fully to temp) motors. The RS5 barely felt any punchier than the S4. It felt significantly less powerful than the Giulia Quadrifoglio, and certainly not +100 hp over the S4.

Does the RS5 have some kind of break-in power limiting like M cars used to have? I'd love to know if I really got a head-to-head comparison.
    I can say with confidence that you were more than likely in the wrong combination of settings. "Comfort" versus "Dynamic" and "D" versus "S", makes all the difference. Coming from a 2018 BMW M4 Competition Pack, I would have never purchased the B9 RS5 if it were not comparable in performance. The Quattro, launch control and acceleration had me sold with regard to performance.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TEKNIKA View Post
    +1

I can say with confidence that you were more than likely in the wrong combination of settings. "Comfort" versus "Dynamic" and "D" versus "S", makes all the difference. Coming from a 2018 BMW M4 Competition Pack, I would have never purchased the B9 RS5 if it were not comparable in performance. The Quattro, launch control and acceleration had me sold with regard to performance.
    I was in Auto, Dynamic, and Auto with manual shifting.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I was in Auto, Dynamic, and Auto with manual shifting.
    Yes, but you also have to switch the transmission mode from “D” to “S”. You can manually shift in both but you want to be in “S” for the most aggressive gearing. Being in “Dynamic” does not automatically switch the transmission to “S”.

Active Member Two Rings ChrisRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In my experience, all of the A/S/RS variants feel dead and lifeless in comfort or D on the trans. I never use them... my right foot can add "smoothness".

I drove an S5 SB and RS5 coupe back to back solo on the same loop. The S5 felt great, but the RS was explosive.
    Chris

On order: 2019 RS5 Sportback - Sonoma Green / Carbon

Veteran Member Three Rings QuaTTrings's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi RS5

Quote Originally Posted by DDIXON7 View Post
    ^ THIS! I just passed 300 mi and the traction control light flashes at me under hard acceleration. What I was even more surprised with is how effortless it is to get the rear to rotate out.
    --------
    2018 RS5 - Glacier White
    2018 S5 - Mythos Black
    2016 RS7 - Daytona Gray Matte
    2016 RS7 - Prism Silver
    2013 RS5 - Suzuka Grey

AZ Member #

Had a chance to drive another RS5 SB today. I made sure everything was in maximum attack mode: full dynamic, transmission in S, engine fully warm. Certainly quicker than the S5 but just not as visceral as I'd hoped. Not quite a perfect analogy but the S5 and RS5 just "pull" (though the RS5 does it harder)--neither "punches." No hating on the RS5--it is a seriously gorgeous and special car. I was just hoping it would drive differently than a tuned S5 for the price differential.

AZ Member #

Yes, but you also have to switch the transmission mode from “D” to “S”. You can manually shift in both but you want to be in “S” for the most aggressive gearing. Being in “Dynamic” does not automatically switch the transmission to “S”.
    Does the RS5 function differently from the S5? With the S5, the transmission is always in S if one actively changes the drive mode to Dynamic. It only remains in D when set to Dynamic if the car is in Dynamic mode when it starts because the car is required to default to D mode for the transmission upon being started.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Does the RS5 function differently from the S5? With the S5, the transmission is always in S if one actively changes the drive mode to Dynamic. It only remains in D when set to Dynamic if the car is in Dynamic mode when it starts because the car is required to default to D mode for the transmission upon being started.
    I do believe the RS5 differs from the S5 in this fashion, as I can recall the transmission being in "D" on Dynamic Mode in both cold and warm start up situations. Perhaps it is programmed to do so for fuel efficiency, as switching from "D" to "S" automatically increases the idle RPM start point.

AZ Member #

I do believe the RS5 differs from the S5 in this fashion, as I can recall the transmission being in "D" on Dynamic Mode in both cold and warm start up situations. Perhaps it is programmed to do so for fuel efficiency, as switching from "D" to "S" automatically increases the idle RPM start point.
    For EPA certification purposes, the transmission must always begin in D mode upon starting the car if Audi uses the D mode for the mpg ratings. For the same reason, auto stop/start must also be enabled upon starting the car, as Audi obviously has it enabled for mileage certification. At least with the RS, you don't have to deal with that nuisance.