Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings nothingbutwin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone ever washed their key...on accident?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, I found my Key for my a3 in the bottom of the washer over the weekend, I have a premium plus with push button start since then, Iíve replaced the battery (the dash notified me the battery was low) but even before replacing the battery the car has been acting up. Every time I unlock the doors they immediately lock, And continue to lock when the remote buttons are not being pushed...

Has anyone else accidentally washed their key, or had similar problems?

Wondering if there is any solution besides going to the dealer and getting a new key fob.

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

More importantly, is it "on accident", "by accident" or "accidentally" lol... I think I've had a few go through the wash over the years without ill effect - do you have a air compressor? Blow it out good. sounds like you are getting intermittant contact. Might need a rinse with deionized water with the battery out, blow it out good, then reassemble... nothing to lose, and it might do the trick.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Active Member Two Rings PINGERS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nothingbutwin View Post
    So, I found my Key for my a3 in the bottom of the washer over the weekend, I have a premium plus with push button start since then, Iíve replaced the battery (the dash notified me the battery was low) but even before replacing the battery the car has been acting up. Every time I unlock the doors they immediately lock, And continue to lock when the remote buttons are not being pushed...

Has anyone else accidentally washed their key, or had similar problems?

Wondering if there is any solution besides going to the dealer and getting a new key fob.
    Stick it in a bowl of rice. Isn't that what you do with your iPhone? :D
    CTS Catless Downpipe | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake | APR Turbo Inlet | JB4 Map 2 | E85 3 Gallons

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have on my A3. I donít have push to start but my door locks where acting strange after i washed them.

Established Member Two Rings nothingbutwin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So, I changed the battery in my key...twice.

Key worked fine for about a day...now it doesnít lock, unlock, or panic..

Iíll be checking with the dealer tomorrow on a new key.

Great 😐

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have done this a few times but never with the RS key in. In the past my past R's,GTI, GLI, and F150 have all wound up in the washer.

I think if you don't use any of the buttons until it is completely dry you are typically in the clear. I don't believe the water actually dose anything to plastic boards and capacitors/relays until they have power activated to them that can arc to where it should not be caused by the moister inside the Key housing.

Opening it up and letting air out for a night should do the trick, rice can't hurt