Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Is the RS5 Coupe Selling As Well As Audi Anticipated?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've been working w a dealer on ordering a 2019 Coupe. I've had 2 S5s and want to move up. During the last 3-4 months, I've been carefully watching the RS5 stocks in So Cal dealerships and it seems like they aren't selling all that well. Initially, some dealers had a big markup and told me that they won't be able to keep them in stock, but that hasn't been the case. Is the car a problem? Lease rates are terrible, but you can find a fair deal if you shop around. Personally, I love the way it looks/performs and can overlook its flaws. What should Audi to get people excited about this car?

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

Is the RS5 Coupe Selling As Well As Audi Anticipated?

This is just my perspective / thoughts.

I love the RS5, more so than any competitor in this segment. However, the price point and terrible leasing make the coupe less appealing.

In general, coupes play in a narrow market (at least around here - Central NJ, land of the Range Rover). If you think about, a coupe is not practical with larger families or young children, which eliminates a large segment of the market. I have 3 kids, youngest is 4 and oldest is going to college in a few months. We make it work, but getting my little one into the car seat is a pain and we can never use my car as a full family.

So, if you reduce the number of buyers that have children (most but not all), youíre left with buyers that are either in the pre- or post-children phase. For pre, your looking at a younger market that potentially has less buying power (I know I would have struggled to swing a 85-90k car in my twenties) and for post itís an older market that has more buying power. For me, post kids, Iím looking at an R8 or Porsche as I wonít need a back row and I would want a more sport-oriented car.

All that said, I believe it just comes down to cost and practicality. I rarely see coupes, regardless of make (Audi, BMW, MB) or trim (A5, S5, RS5, 4 series, M4), but I do see a ton of sedans OR Porsche. I would even bet that I see just as many R8s in a month as I see all otter coupes and far less coupes that Porsche.

The other challenge I see is the terrible leases. BMW, while becoming more compatible, for a long time ran super cheap leases. My M3 Coupe was in the 800 range for a 75k car with 18k miles, no money down and taxes in payment.

I hope this makes sense and provides some perspective. If not, sorry, itís 4:30 here and Iíve been up for hours - little one has been having bad dreams, which means I stopped sleeping weeks ago :)

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi RS5: AWE Touring (awaiting shipping)
    2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 Land Rover RRS - retired
    2012 BMW E92 M3 - retired

Registered Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

They are not selling. Dealers are just stubborn. Iím not even looking for this car any more. When lease is up Iím moving to a M4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

AZ Member #

The coupes seemed to sit on dealer lots for at least a few months in my area. The local dealer must have learned its lesson, as all four 2019 RS5s in transit are sportbacks.

Senior Member Two Rings doady22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just depends on your market. Here in Northern Colorado they sell like hotcakes. The dealer I bought my S5 from I believed ordered 5 Sportback RS5's for every 1 coupe so it looks like the 4 door is catching on.
    2018 S5 Sportback Glacier White Prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Based on everything I've seen and heard, they are not selling, but dealers are indeed stubborn and pretend it's a sought after car. The above point of coupes being a niche is certainly true, however, the B8.5 RS5 sold like hot cakes relatively speaking. Audi limited production for the USA market, but sold more than they planned. The B8.5 was truly a sought after car at least during the first 2 out of 2.5 model years. They were not sitting on the lots or in showrooms like the B9. All orders were pretty much sold orders at least around here. Looking at its competitors, the new face-lifted '19 C63S coupe is seeing high demand and last time I looked at an M4 they were are sold out around here in a similar fashion. Custom order only and no test drives. So, if you take into consideration how the competing coupes are doing then one has to conclude eventually that the B9 RS5 is somewhat of a dud. I get the feeling that a lot of current B8.5 RS5 who generated the high demand for the original are going elsewhere, because the B9 lacks in the excitement department. I'm meeting RS5 owners over on the MB forums now who are all defecting from Audi over the lack of truly exciting RS models like myself.

The SB might do better most likely. It doesn't have any true competitors from BMW and MB in the North American markets. It offers the practicality of a sedan, but looks better and since the RS4 isn't offered here, it's the only alternative. Audi Sport also had a second go at it. From all the reviews about the RS4 in Europe it appears to be a better car than the RS5 coupe and the character is more suitable to an estate or sedan like car than it is to a coupe, which is an impractical car in the first place, so has to offer more in the emotions department. I think folks who buy coupes are looking for something more than what the RS5 coupe offers, at least that's the case for me. Nobody buys a coupe for practical reasons.
    Last edited by superswiss; 01-08-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Everyone knows that lease rates at most dealerships are terrible, but why hasn't audi adjusted? I could've gotten a Porsche 911 for what I've been quoted at some dealerships.