Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A3, 1985 Audi 4000S

C5 S6 Avant Cam troubles

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey folks,
    So I've got S6 4.2L with currently 215k miles on her. I recently had my cam tensioners, chains, and guides redone by my local mechanic. Spent $2400 in the process. When I got the car back, I noticed it still had a rough idle and the CEL came on soon after I got home. I ran it and got codes for bad cam position sensors and cylinders 1-4 misfiring. I brought it back to my mechanic and change the sensor. Got it back, same codes are showing.
    I'm fairly confident the cam timing is off.
    Before I need to fight with my mechanic, does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

Veteran Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Pull the upper timing covers to verify cam timing. There's 2 clips on the top and side of the covers on the driver/passenger sides easily reachable with a flat head . The hard clips to get are the ones underneath where they aren't visible and you'll need to feel around.

However, from those codes I'm concerned your mechanic was 1-2 links off on your CCT when reinstalling. Worst case scenario is that head has bent valves and that's why it's misfiring.

EDIT: Was the car misfiring before you brought it in? That would be a good piece of information to know.
    Bordom's Allroad; Boat in the Street
    03 Allroad 6-spd

IG: 24_et

MODS: C5 S6 4.2 Swap, Modified CSF Performance Rad, Dual 14" EFK, 4.11 Swap, 12lb TTV V8 Flywheel, B7 RS4 Clutch, Custom True Dual Exhaust

RIP:
    2001.5 Brilliant Black S4 6-spd

Established Member Three Rings JorisRS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 RS6

Your cam chain is probably one link off. Pulling the covers will probably not get you anywhere since that will show you the belt only. Your valve cover needs to come off to check the chains.
    Can you post the exact code you got. G40 camshaft position sensor p0346?? Or g163?
    Ive been having a very similar problem

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It was not misfiring before I brought it in. As a matter of fact, my mechanic called me after he was done with the question,"hey was it misfiring before?"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JorisRS6 View Post
    Can you post the exact code you got. G40 camshaft position sensor p0346?? Or g163?
    Ive been having a very similar problem

It threw a P1340 code for G40 cam position sensor or the G28 speed sensor.

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Maybe check your work order and let us know if there's a specific breakdown of what they did in order to do the chain tensioners. To properly do both you'd need to basically do the whole timing belt service. And retail price on the tensioners (if they were replaced completely) is a decent amount of cash~ somewhere between $450-$900 each depending on the markup. Add that to the timing service parts and labor and *retail* price I'd expect to be a little higher, but that price is fair for a shop bill.
    If they did the whole timing service then the timing could be off via the belt of off at the cams.
    Neither one is a good sign, but it happens.
    I'd be tempted to pull the coils off all 8 cylinders and crank the engine over and listen to see if it cranks over nice and even. If the engine cranking sounds odd or uneven you might have a bigger problem now. Aside from that I'd drop that car back off at the shop and tell them to call you when fix it no matter what it takes as it it their screw up.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?