Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Key battery only lasts a few weeks

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone, we picked up a used 2015 A3 a few months ago. Since then, we've had to replace the key battery (only came with 1 fob) every 2-3 weeks regularly. I've started buying the 6 packs of batteries so we always have one on hand.

I did a search and did not find anything on this issue. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Our car has the touch pads on the doors for unlocking, and keyless start. So the fob is constantly communicating with the car - however every 2-3 weeks is nuts. I would expect at least a few months of use. Also, the batteries are not technically "dead" as I've been able to use them for other things just fine, but the car will yell at us that it needs replacing.
    2015 A3 Quattro Premium Plus
    2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab
    1997 Camaro SS (at least the parts to assemble one)
    1985 C10 Silverado

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Take it apart...clean in inside...see if the button contacts are clean and or touching....causing a drain...
    2015 S3 * United MotorSports Tuned * Eurocode Anti-sway bars * Mid-muffler delete * 3.5" Exhaust tips * 19x8.5 Konigs

Active Member Two Rings PINGERS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Hey everyone, we picked up a used 2015 A3 a few months ago. Since then, we've had to replace the key battery (only came with 1 fob) every 2-3 weeks regularly. I've started buying the 6 packs of batteries so we always have one on hand.

I did a search and did not find anything on this issue. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Our car has the touch pads on the doors for unlocking, and keyless start. So the fob is constantly communicating with the car - however every 2-3 weeks is nuts. I would expect at least a few months of use. Also, the batteries are not technically "dead" as I've been able to use them for other things just fine, but the car will yell at us that it needs replacing.
    That's insane. Had my battery die once, it's a 2016.
    CTS Catless Downpipe | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake | APR Turbo Inlet | JB4 Map 2 | E85 3 Gallons

Established Member Two Rings n8vs3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

With daily use, key fob battery should last 1 yr or so.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I never changed a battery in my A4 or my Touareg fob in 14 years of ownership for each of them. It does seem a bit excessive to go through them that fast!
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '97 B5 A4, '15 8V A3

I had this issue right after I changed the battery on mine. I removed and reinstalled the battery and it cleared up the issue. The first fob battery lasted for about 3 years I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MikTip View Post
    Take it apart...clean in inside...see if the button contacts are clean and or touching....causing a drain...
    Yeah. I need to do this but I'll wait till I have a second key... if I screw this one up we can't go anywhere.
    2015 A3 Quattro Premium Plus
    2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab
    1997 Camaro SS (at least the parts to assemble one)
    1985 C10 Silverado