Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

New member questions about my car :)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and have just recently purchased my first audi. I work selling cars, and have owned about 25 different cars and sportbikes through out my life so im relatively knowledgeable about cars a in general, can fix minor stuff, but im far from a trained mechanic.

Current garage houses a 2006 bmw 525 thats REALLY clean, lowered with a nice set of wheels and an engine thats had just about everything replaced. A 2014 382x drive thats stock and thankfully gives me no grief what so ever- car works like a charm and is a sharp little ride. I've also got a Kawasak zx10r special edition thats been tuned and is basically insanity on 2 wheels.

The recent edition is a very clean 2001 Audi S4 B5. I was looking for a manual AWD wagon and didn't want a subaru then this popped up for private sale owned by an older gentleman. The car was immaculate inside, has a 30 valve head swap, full service records from a reputable local shop including all the suspension stuff, breaks, timing, valve cover gasket etc done in the last 12 months. The car had a tune and a few small issues ill need to fix. I was hoping you guys and your knowledge base could help me out.

• First off the sunroof controls dont work at all- where should i start to trouble shoot this? Should i just but all new sunroof controls and pop them in- and if yes where is the best place to buy them?
    • The heater control buttons are also all sticky from the terrible placement of the cup holder over the years and coffee seeking into them. Should i attempt to putt it apart and clean it or buy a new set up? Can I upgrade those controls at all?
    • Secondly one of the speakers in the back is blown, and the stereo system overall is underwhelming- is there a general stereo upgrade kit available? Any suggestions for double din decks? Should i just take it to an audio installer and have them do their thing?
    • Eventually i will be looking at bigger injectors, and to upgrade the intercooler and to install an aftermarket exhaust- where is the best place for me to shop for products like these (im in canada)?
    • The screen in the dash is shot and just a mess of pixels- where / how should i get that fixed?
    • I am also looking at spoiler options- any tips?
    • Last but not least id like to find a decent set of coilovers and wheels for summer- it's not going to be"stanced" but i do want to drop it an inch or so. What brands are reliable and whats the best tire and wheels size people are running thats not going to require rolling fenders or cutting our the wheel wells?

I talked to a shop out here about looking at any engine modifications- bigger turbos etc, and they told me im looking at minimum of $4000 for turbo, $2000 for parts and $4000+ for labour - now if i was going to spend that kinda money it would probably go into my 2014 BMW with 75,000km not my 2001 audi with 200,000km- anyway does that estimate seem accurate?

thanks so much for any help- i really appreciate it and i cant wait to make this audi my fun summer ride!

Veteran Member Three Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by loganhudak View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and have just recently purchased my first audi. I work selling cars, and have owned about 25 different cars and sportbikes through out my life so im relatively knowledgeable about cars a in general, can fix minor stuff, but im far from a trained mechanic.

Current garage houses a 2006 bmw 525 thats REALLY clean, lowered with a nice set of wheels and an engine thats had just about everything replaced. A 2014 382x drive thats stock and thankfully gives me no grief what so ever- car works like a charm and is a sharp little ride. I've also got a Kawasak zx10r special edition thats been tuned and is basically insanity on 2 wheels.

The recent edition is a very clean 2001 Audi S4 B5. I was looking for a manual AWD wagon and didn't want a subaru then this popped up for private sale owned by an older gentleman. The car was immaculate inside, has a 30 valve head swap, full service records from a reputable local shop including all the suspension stuff, breaks, timing, valve cover gasket etc done in the last 12 months. The car had a tune and a few small issues ill need to fix. I was hoping you guys and your knowledge base could help me out.

• First off the sunroof controls dont work at all- where should i start to trouble shoot this? Should i just but all new sunroof controls and pop them in- and if yes where is the best place to buy them?
    • The heater control buttons are also all sticky from the terrible placement of the cup holder over the years and coffee seeking into them. Should i attempt to putt it apart and clean it or buy a new set up? Can I upgrade those controls at all?
    • Secondly one of the speakers in the back is blown, and the stereo system overall is underwhelming- is there a general stereo upgrade kit available? Any suggestions for double din decks? Should i just take it to an audio installer and have them do their thing?
    • Eventually i will be looking at bigger injectors, and to upgrade the intercooler and to install an aftermarket exhaust- where is the best place for me to shop for products like these (im in canada)?
    • The screen in the dash is shot and just a mess of pixels- where / how should i get that fixed?
    • I am also looking at spoiler options- any tips?
    • Last but not least id like to find a decent set of coilovers and wheels for summer- it's not going to be"stanced" but i do want to drop it an inch or so. What brands are reliable and whats the best tire and wheels size people are running thats not going to require rolling fenders or cutting our the wheel wells?

I talked to a shop out here about looking at any engine modifications- bigger turbos etc, and they told me im looking at minimum of $4000 for turbo, $2000 for parts and $4000+ for labour - now if i was going to spend that kinda money it would probably go into my 2014 BMW with 75,000km not my 2001 audi with 200,000km- anyway does that estimate seem accurate?

thanks so much for any help- i really appreciate it and i cant wait to make this audi my fun summer ride!

Use the search function dawg and please don't put a spoiler on it.
    welcome to the madness.

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My beat advice is to do as much reading as you can and learn about the car. You’ll be able to answer most of your questions by searching on here. And FYI, those are the stock heads.

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

If the "local shop" was Harrington's I'd just move on, I'll leave it at that. Otherwise, as others have noted, all your current issues have generally been covered extensively in other threads if you search, your future plans as well. I'd start by doing some reading and get an overall plan for how you want to progress with the platform and what the final outcome you're looking for is before you start throwing money at things in an illogical order. There are plenty of DIYs on here and elsewhere which will save you plenty. Oh, welcome and congrats as well.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Sounds like a lot of common issues, searching will yield results. Not sure the 30v swap will perform any better than stock 😂
    Please no spoiler.

Good luck with the car though. And I'm jelly of the bike. I rode my friend's zx10r awhile ago and have been itching to step up to a liter.
    The Audi takes all my money though 😟

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Kraftwerx did all the previous owners maintenance, prior to that it was an ontario car. I called co motorsports about the other stuff and they quoted me on the upgrades. Ill do some reading and try and figure out what i need to do to fix this old girl up.

Established Member Two Rings q20v's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like you found yourself a sweet ride, post up some pictures since everyone likes pictures and would likely give you less of a hard time :P

As far as suspension goes, if you're only looking for a mild drop, have you considered just lowering springs and upgraded shocks? I'm on H&R springs and find the height is perfect for daily driving. For wheels, there are tons of options, it's really a matter of what style you like. I've run B6 S4 Avus wheels and B7 A4 S-Line 5-spoke wheels, both are 8" wide I believe with 235 wide tires. 10mm spacers all around. No rubbing issues at all.

Welcome to the club!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This is what it looks like now, and what i want it to look like when im done (not as low though, as roads in Atlantic Canada are a disaster due to the freezing and thawing of the ground each year.