Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Ambient lighting on the SportBack

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm trying to decide on a Canadian model whether to go with the bare stuff I want or the nice to have. Going with Progressiv I can add the package that has side assist and I can add virtual cockpit and that gives me two things I really wanted. Going with Technik I get all that plus B&O and the ambient lighting, and then I can add the adaptive suspension which I wanted, and I think it costs me around 3K for all that plus other stuff I don't want.

For the B&O I've read here that many people are disappointed so I want to listen at the dealer to it compare to the Audi sound system and see if it makes a difference for me.

For the ambient lighting, does it actually add lights, or does it have the same number of lit-up areas but you can change the color? So with the standard white lighting, do you still get the strips of light just below the window, and other spots?

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Jimminez@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 RS5 SB (inbound), 2018 Q7

Yes, you still get the strips of light but they are the standard white. We change it around (on the Q7 and RS5 will have it too) a bunch or at least the kids do, but canít say it would be a missed feature if we didnít have them. So a nice to have but not needed.

Edit: Didn't notice you were from Ottawa as well when I posted.
    Last edited by Jimminez@Nemesis; 01-07-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | Unitronic | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Senior Member Three Rings Batman0424's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Tiguan SEL Prem

Same here, this is a feature the kids love - we change the theme weekly.

How much more is the Technik package over the Progressiv?

For me, the B&O system sounds better after a few thousand miles (break in?). It could use more bass, but that is an easy fix. I canít speak for the Audi system, but I would imagine it would need more upgrades to get to the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2018 Audi RS5: AWE Touring (awaiting shipping)
    2017 VW GTI - retired
    2015 Audi S4 - retired
    2013 Land Rover RRS - retired
    2012 BMW E92 M3 - retired

Established Member Two Rings Elote's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I am at nearly 9k miles and I think the B&O system is still quite awful, I never experienced the eventual break-in that some seem to have heard around 1k or so miles. I am definitely pursuing aftermarket options in that regards. My previous 2010 A4 and 2015 RR Evoque had far superior sound systems.

As for the lighting, I love it. For me, it changes the night time experience as a whole. Is it necessary? Absolutely not, but damn is it cool to see and drive with.

Swing by a dealership and test out the audio as you stated, bring your audio device (ipod, phone, CD) and they will be happy to let you play it to get the full experience. I'd say same goes for the lighting, swing by at night and have a look at one without and one with to see if it something you feel is worth the extra cash.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Elote View Post
    I am at nearly 9k miles and I think the B&O system is still quite awful, I never experienced the eventual break-in that some seem to have heard around 1k or so miles. I am definitely pursuing aftermarket options in that regards. My previous 2010 A4 and 2015 RR Evoque had far superior sound systems.

As for the lighting, I love it. For me, it changes the night time experience as a whole. Is it necessary? Absolutely not, but damn is it cool to see and drive with.

Swing by a dealership and test out the audio as you stated, bring your audio device (ipod, phone, CD) and they will be happy to let you play it to get the full experience. I'd say same goes for the lighting, swing by at night and have a look at one without and one with to see if it something you feel is worth the extra cash.
    I listened to the B&O back to back with the stock stereo (from an SD card) and it sounds better, but only a little better while the price difference is basically $1800 for B&O + lighting. There was also a very noticeable rattle on the B&O car when the base would kick in (at default bass volume). And that's listening to it in a parked car, while many people here complained that it sounds worse while driving or with windows open. I don't want to have regrets later not buying the nice stereo, but I also don't want regrets paying for stuff that I don't use or doesn't make a difference to me...

Established Member Two Rings Elote's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by belzebutt View Post
    I listened to the B&O back to back with the stock stereo (from an SD card) and it sounds better, but only a little better while the price difference is basically $1800 for B&O + lighting. There was also a very noticeable rattle on the B&O car when the base would kick in (at default bass volume). And that's listening to it in a parked car, while many people here complained that it sounds worse while driving or with windows open. I don't want to have regrets later not buying the nice stereo, but I also don't want regrets paying for stuff that I don't use or doesn't make a difference to me...
    Yeah, if you are someone who will use the system often to listen to music, then I suggest saving that cash and upgrading the non-B&O system. I'm not an audiophile, but I live off my music when driving. I literally always have music playing unless someone is in the car with me. I like to listen to it loud and I want to feel the bass. Currently that is only possible if i turn it more than half way up, and even then, it is seriously lacking. With $1800, you can really create the sound experience you want.

Senior Member Two Rings doady22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

B&O is good. I'm an audiophile and I'm very specific on my music. Obviously everyone's ears and taste are different. I like a clean crisp sound with some bass. Too much bass and then you have to deal with rattles etc. Obviously don't expect much with a small sub but I'm not in high school anymore and don't need extreme bass. The lighting is awesome never thought that I would care for it but man it just gives night driving a really good vibe. I'd say go for it.
    2018 S5 Sportback Glacier White Prestige

Senior Member Three Rings jpenneck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would have liked the Ambient Lighting on my new car, but in the U.S. it is only included with the Nappa Leather option. I guess Audi was trying to justify charging $1500 for the leather package. I have zero interest in leather as I much prefer the Alcantara seats which are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
    Future - 2019 RS5 SB - Navarra Blue, Alu Optic Carbon, Dynamic package, Driver assistance, B&O, 5-arm-peak wheels.
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Sports Exhaust
    2012 Q5 - Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff
    2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue
    2000 S4 - Santorin Blue

AZ Member #

I would have loved to get the Alcantara seats since I have that on my A4 S-Line and it still looks and feels great. I doubt leather would last this long. Do the Alcantara seats still have the massage function though? I was kind of put off when I saw people here upgrading the B&O because they complained about it. Honestly my source material is mainly MP3 128-320kbps so that could be part of the problem, and I'm definitely not going to be looking for lossless versions of all my hard-to-find crap.

Senior Member Three Rings jpenneck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by belzebutt View Post
    I would have loved to get the Alcantara seats since I have that on my A4 S-Line and it still looks and feels great. I doubt leather would last this long. Do the Alcantara seats still have the massage function though? I was kind of put off when I saw people here upgrading the B&O because they complained about it. Honestly my source material is mainly MP3 128-320kbps so that could be part of the problem, and I'm definitely not going to be looking for lossless versions of all my hard-to-find crap.
    The only Audi I did not have Alcantara in was my RS4 because it wasn't offered in the US and my wife's Q5 just has the regular leather. The massage function is not dependent on the seat material as far as I know.
    Future - 2019 RS5 SB - Navarra Blue, Alu Optic Carbon, Dynamic package, Driver assistance, B&O, 5-arm-peak wheels.
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Sports Exhaust
    2012 Q5 - Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff
    2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue
    2000 S4 - Santorin Blue