Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

4.2 Auto to Manual

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, a friend is thinking about converting his auto to manual and in my opinion, never build a car you can buy.... but anyway, I found one shop with all the parts and it came to about $4200.00.

It is a 2002 S6 Wagon, 4.2L.

Thoughts? Look for a wreck donor car?

Any DIY's out there for this one?

Thanks a lot!

Veteran Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

DIY have been written and beaten to death. You'd know if you searched.

The conversion is straight forward and shouldn't be an issue for you and your friend to do. However, that $4200 all in price seems tempting to have it done in 1-2 weeks.

Food for thought:

1. Is this car a daily? If so, is here a backup in case things go wrong and the car is stuck for longer than expected?

2. Are you and your friend mechanically inclined enough, and have the patience to take on a project of this size?

3. Is your friend prepared to shell out extra cash for all the surprises that will inevitably pop up?

4. How much do you trust other people touching your stuff?
    Bordom's Allroad; Boat in the Street
    03 Allroad 6-spd

IG: 24_et

MODS: C5 S6 4.2 Swap, Modified CSF Performance Rad, Dual 14" EFK, 4.11 Swap, 12lb TTV V8 Flywheel, B7 RS4 Clutch, Custom True Dual Exhaust

RIP:
    2001.5 Brilliant Black S4 6-spd

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

never build a car you can buy....

this cant be done with the S6 or even the A6 4.2
    they didn't come in a manual in the states (or at all I don't think)

Senior Member Three Rings wolfe2118's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by silentdub View Post
    Hey guys, a friend is thinking about converting his auto to manual and in my opinion, never build a car you can buy.... but anyway, I found one shop with all the parts and it came to about $4200.00.

It is a 2002 S6 Wagon, 4.2L.

Thoughts? Look for a wreck donor car?

Any DIY's out there for this one?

Thanks a lot!
    I have a 6spd mated to my 4.2 in my A4 and love it. It's all nuts and bolts so if you can change a tire you can do the swap...as long as you follow directions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I put a 01E into a D2S8, wasn't too bad. The motor mounts and the driveshaft were the biggest issues and finding a snifter linkage.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You'll quickly find out that this is a popular transmission conversion for the C5 S6.
    There's a real large amount of information available here on this site.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    never build a car you can buy....

this cant be done with the S6 or even the A6 4.2
    they didn't come in a manual in the states (or at all I don't think)
    They came in Sedan/Avant form in Europe, and you could even get them from the factory with a manual
    03 Allroad 6-spd

MODS: C5 S6 4.2 Swap, Modified CSF Performance Rad, Dual 14" EFK, 4.11 Swap, 12lb TTV V8 Flywheel, B7 RS4 Clutch, Custom True Dual Exhaust

RIP:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Bordom View Post
    They came in Sedan/Avant form in Europe, and you could even get them from the factory with a manual
    my post clearly says in the states. As the OP is in the united states, the European models kind of don't apply to him.

AZ Member #

my post clearly says in the states. As the OP is in the united states, the European models kind of don't apply to him.
    Mah bad

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    03 Allroad 6-spd

RIP:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

to be fair, I didn't know they ever came in a manual. even in Europe.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '99.5 A4 2.8QM

You could even get an S8 with a 6spd there, I thought that was pretty wild.
    1999.5 A4 ex-2.8 now 1.8TQ 5 Speed Sport - ME7.5 ATW swap, Stern snub, H&R race springs on Bilstien Sports, S4 axle-back, 17" RS4 reps, A8 front BBK, Sport Leather, EFK, A6 Strut Brace, FSI coils
    2002 A6 4.2 6spd - beige on beige, totally stock and totally boring

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
    You could even get an S8 with a 6spd there, I thought that was pretty wild.
    US never gets the good shit. even our special edition cars are sent there but never vice versa

Registered User Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The A6 4.2 was Auto only even in Europe. The S6 and S8 could be had with a manual trans (Europe only) up to the 2002 model year, in which they were all automatic.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '02 S6 Avant, '17 Mk7 Golf Wolfsburg

I got my car converted to O1E six speed for less than $4k with Phil at AudiS4parts.com in Tuscon AZ. I think it was just over 3500$ for parts and labor. Looks like it came from the factory and drives fantastic. Was going to do it myself but Phil did the swap for cheap and kept the old auto trans.

Edit - Scott from thread above sells the same swap kits ^^^
    Last edited by Gogeees; 01-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have a shop, lift tools etc. He is going to purchase the full swap kit. I am in the sam opinion, never build a car that you can buy but it is his money.

I searched but maybe I am screwing it up, can someone point me to a DIY link?

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How much of a DIY do you need? If you've ever dropped a trans on any VAG auto then you just do that. Some people choose to pull the engine and trans together and do it that way. I've done 4 now I guess (3 c5'S and A B5 S4)and have never seen the need to pull the engine. With a lift especially I'd skip the engine pull.
    Adding the clutch pedal some people pull the whole pedal assembly; but you can fairly easily just add the 3rd pedal leaving the rest in place.
    The stuff to keep in mind is the 5hp24 trans is just huge. Once you have that thing out there is TONS of room under there and the rest is pretty easy.
    It's basically remove exhaust, heat shields, driveshaft, front axles, right front headlight and torque mount behind it, pull the airbox and things up above so you can get to bellhousing bolts. Remove starter- and 3 flex plate bolts, downpipes, some miscellaneous connections (02 sensors, CPS, trans harness's, pull interior trim and 4 bolts for shifter and harness's). When you have the trans OUT definitely run the hydraulic line from the master cyl to the slave; that can take some patience.

People worry about the wiring, but it's very easy:
    1.add one wires from PIN #39 at the ecu and run it to the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal switch has two connections; the other jumps to 12V+ keyed power (from the brake switch is easy).
    2.Some people just bypass the clutch safety switch, but if you don't you just run a ground through that switch to the relay. It's that easy.
    3.Reverse lights is just 12v+ keyed power to the reverse switch, and then probe the wires from the 9 pin/round connector on the trans to find the backup lights- the other pin on the backup switch goes to that.

You'll need a way to write the 559E Euro file to the ECU AND the file, I use Nefmoto and I have both those in my Gdrive if you need it.
    And you'll need something like Vagcom to recode the engine module to manual, the ABS to manual and possibly do the steering angle calibration.

Consider which clutch you'll use. My favorite BY FAR if the TTV hybrid billet flywheel that uses the B7 Rs4 clutch. That'll run roughly $600 (TTV flywheel from SillyRabbitMotorsports ~ $435 and the Rs4 clutch from Rockauto is $150). You can use the C5 DMFW but..it doesn't really help and you need Stg2 or B5 Rs4 clutch to go with that (anything less tends to slip @ 340 hp).
    Put it all back together, it's not a horrible project once you're done, totally worth it. But if you don't know you're way around a C5 really well it'll take you several full days easy. If you DO and work fast you can do it in 2-3 days. Out on the interwebs there are a whole bunch of writeups of various kinds, www.s4parts.com used to have a DIY on their website..not sure it's still there. But I bet I have it saved...
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Awesome! Thanks again. I've done swaps on VW's previously. Engine and Clutch jobs. The one question I had was regarding the ECU, but you answered but none the less I have a Malone Tuner right next to my place.

Any other feedback is appreciated.

AZ Member #

I did forget to mention you pretty much HAVE TO lower the subframe to get the trans out. And obviously it's a bit easier to get the 01E in with the subframe lowered, but the 01E will actually just barely fit up in there with the subframe bolted in place. When I've done it I just hang the engine from a hoist, unbolts mounts etc.., and let the subframe hang from the suspension.
    Get the trans out and then bolt the subframe back up temporarily while I get the clutch on, and whatever little things done while the trans is out...I just feel like it's sketchy to let an engine hang there ..I know it's probably fine, but it bugs me!
    And hang the engine, lower subframe and install the 01E once again when it's time. Shifter installation I really don't know whats easier. Some people bolt the shifter+linkage to the trans and jack it all up into the car; on a 2.7 that's probably the best way. But theres TONS of room on a V8 so I started installing the shifter/linkage and attaching the linkage to the trans during installation, or even later on. Pretty easy to get to everything.

Established Member Three Rings hockeyman474's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Following this thread. IMO I thought the 01E swap could be done for less than $4200?

I have an S6 with the stock auto, 140k. I plan on driving this car until it craps itself. If/when it does, I hope to have enough set aside to 6 speed swap and eventually engine swap keeping Quattro.
    2011 Audi S4 Ibis White

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyman474 View Post
    Following this thread. IMO I thought the 01E swap could be done for less than $4200?

I have an S6 with the stock auto, 140k. I plan on driving this car until it craps itself. If/when it does, I hope to have enough set aside to 6 speed swap and eventually engine swap keeping Quattro.
    The last time I did it I spent about a year collecting parts, spent about $1700 total but that included every single part brand new including rebuilding the 3/4/5 sliders and a NEW OEM driveshaft, TTV flywheel, B7 Rs4 clutch, new axles, and slave /master. Before that I've done the 'swap kit' route and been fairly disappointed with many of the parts I was sent.
    I got lucky and found a trans locally for $100 though, and $500 for the JHM kit to go through it.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If you have the space just buying a parts car can work out well too. I was about to buy a swap kit and a car with a bad crank came up locally for same price.( I already had a good 01e too so have a spare now). I've pretty much sold enough off the parts car that my swap was free plus it had a bunch of stuff the seller didn't even know about . Like ko4s!

I realize you'll need a few other bits for a 4.2 but there seem to be plenty of manual cars in Baltimore area for cheap. ( Baltimore For op not hockeyman)
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )