Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

C5 A6 4.2L Need help with Cam tensioners

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I'm doing service on my A6 C5 4.2L ART, and I'm replacing the cam tensioner pads. I tightened the right tensioner I think a little too much and I'm not sure if I broke it. Here's a video explaining and showing everything, if you have any input let me know. Thanks

https://youtu.be/Ko89N9zcumk

Veteran Member Four Rings Bordom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks 100% broken. You should be able to compress both sides of the tensioner without it binding/having to force it.

I would not install/replace that until I have more than 1 opinion or everyone says it's dickered.
    Bordom's Allroad; Boat in the Street
    03 Allroad 6-spd

IG: 24_et

MODS: C5 S6 4.2 Swap, Modified CSF Performance Rad, Dual 14" EFK, 4.11 Swap, 12lb TTV V8 Flywheel, B7 RS4 Clutch, Custom True Dual Exhaust

RIP:
    2001.5 Brilliant Black S4 6-spd

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I can't tell for sure..I have had them start to sort of come apart but not in the way yours looks like. If you're not sure if it's broken you should just go on the safe side and NOT use it. It's not worth the risk, since a pile of bent valves is how you'd find out it's screwed up. I'm not sure you can over-tighten/ compress the tensioner too much with the plastic tool though. I think part of the design is it intentionally breaks before you can ruin the tensioner that way. I always compress the tensioner just to the point where the tool going to snap, seems like you almost have to, to get enough slack.
    I have a great working Bank1 (passenger side) tensioner saved if you need it- I may have even put new pads on it.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Alright thanks for the replies, and I have decided to go with buying a new tensioner. Rollerton, would the tensioner that you have work for the drivers side? They look to be the same but I think they have different part #'s. If I were to buy one online, I wasn't planning on coughing up $800 for a oem one, so how does this one look from ebay? Its $78 and I don't know the durability on it...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/077109088P-...JQZR:rk:8:pf:0

Also there one from FCP Euro for $243, and I have no idea the quality differences. Do you guys have any experience with any of these?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...ine-077109088p

Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jlahue57 View Post
    Alright thanks for the replies, and I have decided to go with buying a new tensioner. Rollerton, would the tensioner that you have work for the drivers side? They look to be the same but I think they have different part #'s. If I were to buy one online, I wasn't planning on coughing up $800 for a oem one, so how does this one look from ebay? Its $78 and I don't know the durability on it...

Thanks

They are NOT interchangeable! You have to be careful of that.

I actually have used a few of those chinese tensioners and had no trouble with them. Oddly enough the only tensioner I have had a problem with was a brand new OEM one I put on a 1.8T. That engine had problems anyway, but the failure of the engine sure did seem like it was the tensioner.
    I honestly don't know how to tell you which cheap-o aftermarket tensioner to buy- the cheapest? A halfway cheap one? Who can say..when I shopped for them I comapred the OEM one in my hand to the pictures of what they sell. I bought what seemed to be an OEM tensioner with the Audi / VAG branding ground off. It would be nice to buy one from a place with a "100% guarantee" but what good is that if it wipes out your engine when it fails? Great- they send you a new tensioner?
    I'd say used or aftermarket kind of have the same risk. The tensioners don't *fail* very often I guess.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ok thanks for letting me know. Unless I can find a place local around me that would have some aftermarket ones on hand, (which is not likely), I'll just order the Chinese one off eBay.

Thanks for your help