Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

How to implement hand brake functionality?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I already posted about this topic on the B8 S4 forum but given that it is a generic issue common to multiple models, I ask for feedback here as well.

I miss having the ability to brake only with the rear tires, as the regular hand brake always did. It may have other purposes but I find it specially useful for maneuvering at low speed on slippery conditions, to make a U-turn, for instance. To implement that kind of feature on the current parking/emergency brake when pressing it, as opposed to pulling, would be very interesting and I would certainly appreciate it.

Does anyone know whether that may be even possible to implement? And if so, how could that be done?
    2015 S4 | Rear sport differential | 034 rear sway bar (with end links) | 034 X-brace chassis reinforcement | ECS drivetrain mount inserts | 034 rear subframe mount inserts

Veteran Member Four Rings airjordan223's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There's a few options in theory, none of them very easy to do.

1) "Drift Stick" like Ford created:
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-2780-FRS

This would require coding/tuning of the ABS module, not really something one can do in their garage.

2) Add a hydraulic line similar to drift cars and remove the EPB caliper, or add a second RR brake caliper.
    Removing EPB would create a headache of warning lights and I'm not sure if packaging a second caliper in the suspension would even be possible.

Realistically I'd say it's not possible.

2013 S4 | B&O | Sport Diff | Magma Red | DSG | LED Fogs
    2002 A4 3.0 Quattro | 17" BBS RK | ST Coilovers | LED DRLs | Hardwired V1 | Alpine 12" Type R | Pioneer 800W Amp | eDead 80 | Dice iPod Integration | Power Slot Rotors | Hawk HPS Pads SOLD

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by airjordan223 View Post
    There's a few options in theory, none of them very easy to do.

1) "Drift Stick" like Ford created:
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-2780-FRS

This would require coding/tuning of the ABS module, not really something one can do in their garage.

(...)

Realistically I'd say it's not possible.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid this was the case.

I think it would not be very difficult for the factory to implement the coding/tuning of the ABS module on new models as an option that could be activated if desired. Not sure how many people miss this feature for the factory to be willing to find a solution. I do.
    2015 S4 | Rear sport differential | 034 rear sway bar (with end links) | 034 X-brace chassis reinforcement | ECS drivetrain mount inserts | 034 rear subframe mount inserts