Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Used Audi Purchase Advice

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all.

I'm planning on purchasing a used Audi here in the near future. I have a family of 6 and my budget is pretty low. I currently drive a Honda Odyssey as my daily driver. We are planning a trip to Florida in the summer so I don't want to put anymore miles
    on the van as it's already at 150k. I wanted to get something smaller, more fuel efficeint (4 cyl?) and somewhat fun to drive. I've always liked the look of the Audi's and always wanted a quattro. With all that said I want to know what my best choice would be for a budget of around 4-5k? I know it will be a much older model with a ton of miles and that's fine. I don't know a lot about cars, just the basics, more of a tech guy, but I would be willing to attempt to do any minor repairs myself as this would be a new hobby for me as well. So what in your opinions would be my best option as far as realiabilty goes and why? Also not looking for a 2 door.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Established Member Two Rings Greenster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '87 Porsche 951

Hi, Jeff! I'm not sure about a 6-seater, as the best bet would be a Q7. It seats 7, so you'd be covered. Now, finding one for that amount, might be impossible, and even if you did, it probably has problems. If you have even OK credit, a job, and that amount for a down payment, then you might want to look at getting a 4-7 year old, low mileage Q7, or look at the new VW big SUV, as it's basically a Q7, with a different suit on. With that down payment, and a trade in, or sell your car on your own, then you might be able to get a nice loan on it for 84 months. Meaning, low payments, reliable new car, and peace of mind. Plus, if your insurance allows it, you could Uber/Lyft on the side to help offset costs. The lease thing through Uber is pretty easy to get, but the payments are Way too high, and don't make financial sense. A loan through a credit union like Travis Credit Union is a pretty good option.

We went the route of a credit union loan on a low mileage A6 Quattro 3.0T, and took it on our western states family summer road trip a year and a half ago. Granted, we only have 5 in our family... Also, we (my boys and I) test drove about 15 A6's, and another 6+ S6's before we decided on our A6, as it was nicer than some newer cars!

Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my F3213 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings Greenster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '87 Porsche 951

Quote Originally Posted by jeff823 View Post
    Hi all.

I'm planning on purchasing a used Audi here in the near future. I have a family of 6 and my budget is pretty low. I currently drive a Honda Odyssey as my daily driver. We are planning a trip to Florida in the summer so I don't want to put anymore miles
    on the van as it's already at 150k. I wanted to get something smaller, more fuel efficeint (4 cyl?) and somewhat fun to drive. I've always liked the look of the Audi's and always wanted a quattro. With all that said I want to know what my best choice would be for a budget of around 4-5k? I know it will be a much older model with a ton of miles and that's fine. I don't know a lot about cars, just the basics, more of a tech guy, but I would be willing to attempt to do any minor repairs myself as this would be a new hobby for me as well. So what in your opinions would be my best option as far as realiabilty goes and why? Also not looking for a 2 door.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenster View Post
    Hi, Jeff! I'm not sure about a 6-seater, as the best bet would be a Q7. It seats 7, so you'd be covered. Now, finding one for that amount, might be impossible, and even if you did, it probably has problems. If you have even OK credit, a job, and that amount for a down payment, then you might want to look at getting a 4-7 year old, low mileage Q7, or look at the new VW big SUV, as it's basically a Q7, with a different suit on. With that down payment, and a trade in, or sell your car on your own, then you might be able to get a nice loan on it for 84 months. Meaning, low payments, reliable new car, and peace of mind. Plus, if your insurance allows it, you could Uber/Lyft on the side to help offset costs. The lease thing through Uber is pretty easy to get, but the payments are Way too high, and don't make financial sense. A loan through a credit union like Travis Credit Union is a pretty good option.

We went the route of a credit union loan on a low mileage A6 Quattro 3.0T, and took it on our western states family summer road trip a year and a half ago. Granted, we only have 5 in our family... Also, we (my boys and I) test drove about 15 A6's, and another 6+ S6's before we decided on our A6, as it was nicer than some newer cars!

Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my SONY XPERIA XA ULTRA using Audizine mobile app

Sent from my F3213 using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Welcome to Audizine!

Unfortunately for you, there are very few Audis with seating for more than 5. The Q7 is the most obvious one, as it has the third row. The Q7 won't be fuel efficient unless you get the TDI engine - the 3.6 V6 is rated at 20mpg hwy vs 25mpg for the TDI.

The only other option would be an older wagon with the rare option of the rear-facing third row, such as the 1995 S6 Avant or a 2001-05 Allroad. These have smaller, more efficient turbo charged engines and the vehicle profile is smaller, so they'll be more fuel efficient. The problem might be the size of your kids, as they would need to be small enough for the rear-facing seat. Even if your kids fit, your luggage might not, so you'd have to get a roofbox. Also, manual wagons are so much more fun than an auto suv.

Anyway, good luck!