Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    RS3 Brakes Expected to Fail at 12k Miles?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The problems with the front brakes on pre-facelift RS3s are well documented on other forums in other Audi markets. Same for the TTRS.

    Based on my experience and that of many other RS3 owners in the US it’s also clear that despite revising the front rotor design three times since introducing the car in the US that problems still exist. It’s also clear that Audi does not intend to stand behind their engineering missteps and are trying to have their customers absorb the cost of the same.

    Having one of the earlier cars to hit the US, mine has the first generation rotor design. The brakes started exhibiting symptoms of being warped (steering wheel shimmying, pulsation in the brake pedal) at 12,000 miles. I made a service appointment in early December at Audi South Coast in Santa Ana, California for yesterday. They confirmed my suspicion—the front rotors are warped. My car now has 15,000 miles. They say the front rotors and pads need replacement to the tune of $1,600-1,700 (this with dealer or Audi one-time “goodwill”).

    The RS3 is my third Audi purchased new—the first being a 2001 TT and the second a 2011 S5. I went over 40,000 miles on the TT’s brakes, and that included daily commuting for work and a few spirited TT club drives. The S5 went 30k-something miles before brakes. That car was very heavy. Never had warped rotors with either.

    I’ve never tracked this RS3, and never even took it on a spirited drive, sadly. I commute for work in the same manner that I’ve done since 2005 (same route).

    This is a recent thread that someone else posted, and there are many, many other posts documenting brakes going bad—all under 15k miles.

    Does Audi really expect us to believe that it is normal to have rotor failure on a “high performance” car driven conservatively for 12,000 miles? If yes, how is that consistent with multiple revisions of the same part in the past year and a half?

    My wife’s BMWs and Mercedes haven’t had any of these issues ....
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  2. #2
    Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    396205
    Location
    Auburn Hills, MI

    Hello John,

    I'm very sorry to learn about this and would like to gather some additional information in order to turn this experience around for you. We are very thankful for your many years of loyalty to our brand and do not want this type of issue to negatively affect your Audi experience moving forward. Can you send over a PM with your contact information and VIN so I can perform my due diligence? Also, as I'm sure you're aware brakes are covered for defects/shortcomings for the first 12 months or 12k miles of service as they are a wear and tear item. At this point I'm not able to offer you a guarantee, but would like to further research to see if there are any opportunities available. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you,
    Vincenzo F.

    Audi Social Community Manager

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    Thanks, PM sent.

    Here’s another similar thread.
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello John,

    Also, as I'm sure you're aware brakes are covered for defects/shortcomings for the first 12 months or 12k miles of service as they are a wear and tear item.
    I actually wasn’t aware of this, or I wouldn’t have procrastinated.
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 15 2017
    AZ Member #
    409909
    Location
    FL

    Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello John,

    I'm very sorry to learn about this and would like to gather some additional information in order to turn this experience around for you. We are very thankful for your many years of loyalty to our brand and do not want this type of issue to negatively affect your Audi experience moving forward. Can you send over a PM with your contact information and VIN so I can perform my due diligence? Also, as I'm sure you're aware brakes are covered for defects/shortcomings for the first 12 months or 12k miles of service as they are a wear and tear item. At this point I'm not able to offer you a guarantee, but would like to further research to see if there are any opportunities available. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you,
    Hi Vincenzo,

    One of my rotors warped and was confirmed by the dealer (Audi Tampa) but I was told that it was a wearable part and I would be responsible for replacing them even though it was confirmed at my first complimentary oil change at 10K miles. I'll PM you my info with my previous post. My car is a launch edition and had the v1 rotors. I noticed there is a significant difference between the v1 and v3. Not happy I had to shell out $$$$ early due to a poorly designed rotor.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by TZilla View Post
    Hi Vincenzo,

    One of my rotors warped and was confirmed by the dealer (Audi Tampa) but I was told that it was a wearable part and I would be responsible for replacing them even though it was confirmed at my first complimentary oil change at 10K miles. I'll PM you my info with my previous post. My car is a launch edition and had the v1 rotors. I noticed there is a significant difference between the v1 and v3. Not happy I had to shell out $$$$ early due to a poorly designed rotor.

    Thanks
    I would guess that if only one warped, it would be the one with the ventilation vanes pointing backwards where they get no cooling. Why there still isn’t a left and right directional rotor is beyond me.

    I remember reading threads in a UK forum a couple years ago when I first decided I wanted an RS3, reading about pre-facelift RS3s with these problems thinking “they’ll certainly figure this out before my car is built.” When I saw pictures of the caliper on the facelifted cars—and noticed the differences, I figured the problems with the braking system were a thing of the past. And here I am, boiling at the thought of being naive.
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 20 2018
    AZ Member #
    424907
    My Garage
    2008 VW Golf R32
    Location
    Coatesville

    Mine is a 2017 MY RS3 with the V1 rotors. Luckily mines are not wrapped but they are badly grooved. The car has 11.5k miles, but the rotors looks like they have done 30k. Granted I do beat on the car at least once everyday but still.

    FYI, ECSTuning sells the OEM rotors for $878.68. And they look like V3.

    As much I would like to try to get the V3 rotors from AOA. I think I will get the AP Racing rotors from Essex Parts when the stock rotors do let go. Those are 18lbs lighter and the vane design are much better and they cost $1.4k which is not too bad and solves all the problems that the stock rotors have.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Three Rings Canvasoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 25 2012
    AZ Member #
    99312
    Location
    Atlanta

    I'm having the same issue that started at around 12000 miles. Brought it to the dealership and they said that they couldn't replicate as they are not allowed to drive the car faster than 65 mph and that brake warranty was good for only 12,000 miles anyway. Contacted AOA 2 weeks ago, they said that they would talk to the dealer and that they would have an answer for me on Friday last week. No one called back, and dealership hasn't heard from AOA either. So, here I am with a 15,000 mile RS3 that I can't drive faster than 65 Mph as they car shakes terrible under heavy braking after that speed. I have the newer "V3" rotors on my car.
    Current: 2018 RS3 / Dynamic / Technology / Carbon / 7HE / Daytona Gray / Alu Optics
    Previous: 2013 B8.5 S4 - 1998 B5 A4 1.8TM - 2002 B6 A4 2.0TM - 2006 B7 A4 2.0TQM

  9. #9
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Hugh@EuropaParts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 22 2010
    AZ Member #
    63043
    Location
    Piscataway, NJ

    Audi has been having lots of brake issues lately. My mom just brought her new Q5 in because her rear rotors were vibrating pretty badly. The RS3 seems to have a problem and the Q7 brakes make a ton of noise. Also, there are no replacement brake pads for the Q7... they're all backordered.
    Hubert
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 800.877.7033 x 101
    Email: hubert@europaparts.com
    Facebook: Like Us on Facebook


  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    What a mess.
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  11. #11
    Established Member Two Rings RSKYBET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 16 2018
    AZ Member #
    412531
    Location
    Midwest

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Tan View Post
    Mine is a 2017 MY RS3 with the V1 rotors. Luckily mines are not wrapped but they are badly grooved. The car has 11.5k miles, but the rotors looks like they have done 30k. Granted I do beat on the car at least once everyday but still.

    FYI, ECSTuning sells the OEM rotors for $878.68. And they look like V3.

    As much I would like to try to get the V3 rotors from AOA. I think I will get the AP Racing rotors from Essex Parts when the stock rotors do let go. Those are 18lbs lighter and the vane design are much better and they cost $1.4k which is not too bad and solves all the problems that the stock rotors have.
    There's also Girodisc. Not quite as light as AP, but $1100 a pair and also very reputable.
    2017 Audi RS3 "1 of 250"
    @rskyb3t

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Four Rings John P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 23 2010
    AZ Member #
    64781
    Location
    SoCal

    NEW BUYERS BEWARE

    Heard back from Audi this morning. They are backing up the dealer in their diagnosis (that the fronts are warped due to overheating). They also agree with the dealer’s offer to take 50% off (of full retail) the rotors only as “goodwill.” I’d still have to pay for pads, install, and the other 50% of the rotors.

    LOL at this “performance car” warping rotors due to overheating at 12k miles ... by driving to and from work in Southern California!
    John P.
    five_cyl on Instagram
    -Next car will not be an Audi
    -2018 Audi RS3 (Delivered August 3, 2017)
    -2011 Audi S5 (Gone)
    -2001 Audi TT (Gone)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Three Rings Cairo94507's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    366206
    Location
    San Ramon Valley, CA

    That is a pathetic reply from AOA. They market their cars as performance vehicles, particularly the "R" cars. For them to assert that 12K is all one can expect from their brakes without an owner having to drop a couple thousand dollars is just unacceptable. I would accept their offer of 50% t get the car drivable again and then appeal their decision all the way up their chain. I would also post about this experience on every car forum you can think of to alert consumers. I own a '16 S3 and have almost 45K on it with no issues at all. I am just starting the process of looking at the '19 TTS as an additional car. I bought an Audi, my first after owning 13 different Porsches and 4 MBZ and 3 BMW's and a ton of American cars, because I wanted a well built car with a manufacturer that realized people who pay for quality, expect quality. If Audi can't step up and take care of their customers, maybe I should look at another manufacturer?
    '16 S3 PP Monsoon Gray/Black- DD
    '10 C4S Coupe 6 speed- Wife's DD
    '71 914-6 (the real deal) Toy

  14. #14
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2019
    AZ Member #
    462570
    Location
    PA

    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    NEW BUYERS BEWARE

    Heard back from Audi this morning. They are backing up the dealer in their diagnosis (that the fronts are warped due to overheating). They also agree with the dealer’s offer to take 50% off (of full retail) the rotors only as “goodwill.” I’d still have to pay for pads, install, and the other 50% of the rotors.

    LOL at this “performance car” warping rotors due to overheating at 12k miles ... by driving to and from work in Southern California!
    John P. - I feel your frustration to the core. I posted in this thread that was started by someone else that had a similar issue. Audi services provided me with some sub-par feedback that made me lose complete confidence in their abilities as a standout in the automobile sector.

    I am really shocked that Audi only provided you with a 50% discount as this is clearly something bigger then just a one-off manufacturing error... But hey, I guess that's a whole lot better then my deal!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.