Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings kwaceyoopony's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Coolant leak C5 A6 4.2L

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I havenít really driven my car for a week or so but today I was gonna run some errands and I had to get gas so I was at the gas station filling up and I noticed the horrible horrible smell that killed my last 4.2..... coolant..... so I look under the front bumper and notice a small puddle of coolant. I opened the hood and noticed the coolant tank was half full. It seems to be coming from the drivers side but I didnít see where it was coming from. I filled it up and let her run and I didnít see it dripping any more.

Anyone know where it could be coming from? Sorry for the rant Iím having a bit of ptsd from my last engine lol

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bufkin pipe?

Check on the passenger side toward the engine front, under the exhaust manifold. The oil cooler has a plastic coolant pipe that is a common failure.
    It's a troublesome repair. Look for info on the Bufkin pipe, it's an aluminum pipe that he made to address this weakness.
    Thank you Bufkin, wherever you are. Hopefully, this isn't your leak.

Established Member Two Rings kwaceyoopony's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I did that when I had the new engine put in and Iím 90% sure itís coming from the drivers side. The puddle is right underneath my drivers side fog light just a bit back. Iím hoping a radiator hose or something? Do you think it could have something to do with the cold? It got to around 30 ish degrees and I didnít drive for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So far, I've never had coolant leaks anywhere. Good luck finding your leak.
    It will likely get more obvious with time.