Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings biador619's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Exhaust tip removal

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Happy New Years everyone. Does anyone here know if our exhaust tips are removable or if they are welded on? I want to remove them so it would be easier to paint them matte black!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    *2018 B9S4 Premium Plus - Mythos Black Metallic - Black Fine Nappa Leather - Carbon Fiber Inlays - S Sport Package - Dynamic Steering - Tech Package - 19" Wheels

Instagram: biador619

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by biador619 View Post
    Happy New Years everyone. Does anyone here know if our exhaust tips are removable or if they are welded on? I want to remove them so it would be easier to paint them matte black!

NVM. It looks like weld marks on the inside of the exhaust. So... I just carefully masked off the area around the exhaust tips and painted them without removing them.

*2018 B9S4 Premium Plus - Mythos Black Metallic - Black Fine Nappa Leather - Carbon Fiber Inlays - S Sport Package - Dynamic Steering - Tech Package - 19" Wheels

Senior Member Three Rings arrivalanche's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thats what I did. Hopefully you scuffed them up and primered them first.
    -AARON-

2017 S6 Black Optic
    2018 S4 Black Optic
    2016 S6 Black Optic - Sold
    2014 A6 3.0T Black Optic - Sold
    2014 S4 3.0T Black Optic - Sold
    2012 A6 3.0T - Sold
    2008 A4 2.0T - Sold

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by arrivalanche View Post
    Thats what I did. Hopefully you scuffed them up and primered them first.
    Always the proper way!

Established Member Two Rings SMI77's Avatar
    AZ Member #

These photos will help you understand how a company like Audi can be so absolutely dumb and stupid. The exhaust shop I used, who replaced the section using a laser, fed into a CAD, then downloaded into a computerised mandrel bender (not your average shop!!). They did not want to heat up & break the welds (NB: top & underside) for fear of damaging the valve, then have to find a replacement. S3 tips are removable. S4 exhuast systems come from their supplier 100% finished, ready to just connect up.
    As you can see, one tip of ours was already showing wear signs (there only cheap chrome steel on a s/steel light guage system. Many S4 owners in UK are having corrosion problems with them. Of course, Audi UK will not accept liability.
    Attached Images
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ DTUK Tune Box/TCU Tune/Pedal Box ~ Eibach Springs ~ 034 M/sports rear bar ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads ~
    Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro' ~ De-badged ~ RS style s/s black tips ~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO'

Registered Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stock tips are prone to damage. The car runs to rich from the factory. The tips are always black. I recently got 0000 steel wool. Thatís really fine. I use it on the bottom of each tip. It helped remove slot but not all damage. I used a metal polish over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

I use Borla 21461 Exhaust Cleaner and Polish to clean up the tips, works perfectly each time. Removes the grit and keeps them shining like new.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 S4, 18 Q5

I'll have to give that a try. I've used wheel cleaner during basic washes, and P21S polishing soap every few washes. Mine took a beating last winter and I've got some pitting on the bottom front of each tip. If they were easily removable, I would have already replaced them.

AZ Member #

Same here. Try the 0000 steal wool.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Collinite 850 Liquid Metal Wax Polish

AZ Member #

Yes. Thatís the polish I used. The tips are still pitted and ruined. But they are shiny. Bad design by Audi.

AZ Member #

So is there a way to get the tips off without damaging the valves? I have a set of AWE Black tips that I want to install - didn't realize these were welded on (should have checked before ordering the AWE ones!).

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Not that i know of..when i had my custom exhaust done, the shop removed the whole valve and tip. They welded the valve and new tip together, then reconnected it all back to the muffler. This only has be done on one tip, the rest are replacements but need to be welded back on.. Make sure you use a good shop as they need to make sure it's perfect because there is no adjusting afterwards..