4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grey with less options

2 50.00%
  • Black with more options but accident

2 50.00%
    Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Need help deciding between two demo 2018 S4's

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi everyone:

I am looking to get a new fuel efficient daily. My commute to work is 100kms both ways. After driving the 2018 S4, I am ready to pull the trigger.

My local dealer has two 2018 demo's remaining. Both are Technik's (Prestige) and both have 8,000 kms on them. The only real difference is that one has less options (no advanced driver assistance, dynamic steering, adaptive suspension, or sport differential).
    1. Grey on red. Less options. No accidents.
    2. Black on red. Has those pricey options listed above ($6,000 extra). The dealer only wants $1000 more than the grey one for this car... BUT! BUT THE KICKER: It has a $13,000 accident (the car was rear ended).

Conclusion: The one with less options is discounted $12k off MSRP, whereas the one with the accident, but higher options is priced at $17k off MSRP.

I wanted the one with all the options. Should I keep looking for one with no accidents? There aren't many other used/demo options in my area. Looking across Canada, these two were competitively priced, and are CPO. It's only a rear ender, so it should be fine? I know repairs are very expensive on these cars... I'm thinking if I can get them to $20k off MSRP then its worth it. Let me know what you think.

Cheers and Happy New Years!

Senior Member Two Rings mystik4l06's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you want the options I'd say keep looking. The accident will be in record and when or IF you decide to let it go, it will be worth a lot less than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I second passes on both of those. For some reason I assumed Bay Area meant San Francisco area but I guess not. I would keep looking. I would never pass on the sport diff or adaptive suspension. Get what makes you happy but is sound like none of those ticks those boxes. I understand wanting to get a good deal but you should never short yourself.

AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep looking for now. I plan on keeping this car for at least 4 years. But plans do change.

I test drove both cars back to back. I don't know if it was just in my head but I could really tell the difference between them. The one with the sport options (steering, suspension, differential) felt quicker, albeit rougher (which is sort of a minus for a daily driver).

Also, regarding fuel economy: what's your guys experience with the car? Is 25 MPG unrealistic? I do 60%-70% highway.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Q7 Prestige

I can manage to get 27-28 with about 70% highway. I get a couple MPG better than my 2015 Q50 for the same commute.

AZ Member #

I average right around 21/22 but mostly in s/dynamic and rarely on the highway. On road trips we can hit upper 20ís on d/comfort.

AZ Member #

^^ that's pretty good mileage. Thanks for the data.

Senior Member Two Rings mystik4l06's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I avg about 25-27 MPG not going crazy but on dynamic and spirited driving that bad boy drops right down to about 12-15 MPG

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

^^ haha! Oh I bet. I'm seriously considering the one with the accident. Going to try and get the accident report to see where it was repaired. Its almost 24% off MSRP right now, if I can get it closer to 25-30%, I might grab it.

If only the grey one had all the options :(

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

I would get the car with the options you want. If youíre comfortable with the vehicle that has a history, the implications it could have on the resell, and thereís a decent warranty being offered then go for it. For me, Iíd keep searching for a vehicle that has the options I wanted at the price I am comfortable paying. In fact, I drove 9-hours to pick up my S4 and spent weeks calling almost every dealership up the East Coast until I found one that was willing to work a deal that fit me.

Regardless your decision, the S4 is a great car and youíll enjoy the heck out of it. Good luck!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    I would get the car with the options you want. If youíre comfortable with the vehicle that has a history, the implications it could have on the resell, and thereís a decent warranty being offered then go for it. For me, Iíd keep searching for a vehicle that has the options I wanted at the price I am comfortable paying. In fact, I drove 9-hours to pick up my S4 and spent weeks calling almost every dealership up the East Coast until I found one that was willing to work a deal that fit me.

Regardless your decision, the S4 is a great car and youíll enjoy the heck out of it. Good luck!
    Thanks Yabi! I'm excited. I'll keep looking.

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Quote Originally Posted by 604bayarea View Post
    Thanks Yabi! I'm excited. I'll keep looking.
    Iím excited for you! Keep us posted!!!

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

This is not the most fuel efficient daily driver. This is my second B9 S4 and itís by far the biggest gas pig Iíve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Q7 Prestige

Iím not sure Iíve ever been able to get mileage that low on my car...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheFatArmadillo View Post
    Iím not sure Iíve ever been able to get mileage that low on my car...
    Thatís all city driving

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringnut View Post

This is not the most fuel efficient daily driver. This is my second B9 S4 and itís by far the biggest gas pig Iíve ever owned.

oh so audi gave you another one?
    2012 Phantom Black Pearl S4 6MT / B&O / Sports Diff / 3G+ Conversion / Unitronic Stage 2+
    -19" S4 Peelers w/ 255/35/ZR19 Michelin PSS, 034 25mm Solid Rear Sway Bar, H&R Sport lowering springs, AWE Track Exhaust w/ 90mm polished tips. P3 Multigauge w/ Track Pack
    ECS SS clutch line, 034 Transmission mount insert

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rand0mher0 View Post
    oh so audi gave you another one?
    No, they were suppose to but decided that since it was a few days past the lemon period they basically let me buy a 2019 with nothing extra extra out of pocket. I basically started my loan over.

Senior Member Three Rings nicotino15's Avatar
    AZ Member #

my wifes 3.0T Q5 gets better mileage in city driving, but as soon as you hit the hwy and throw it in D the mpg shoots up pretty nicely.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Iíve been staying under 3k rpm for the engine break in and the best I get is ~14-15 mph city and 22-25 highway.