Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

No sound from stereo?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    A few days ago I discovered I was not getting ANY sound from the stereo.

It has power, it shows radio stations, cd tracks etc., but thereís no sound from any of the speakers! I had not done any work on the car prior to this happening. Fuse for the stereo is fine. Canít find any fuse that would be for the speakers...

I have the Audi Concert and the Bose option.

Any thoughts?

AZ Member #

Bumping this thread.

Some more information: I noted yesterday that if I leave the radio on then sound comes back after a while and then goes away again. There is also a intermittent knocking sound from the drivers door - sounds like something is knocking against the door card. Finally there is a sparkling kind of sound from the dash just under the windscreen (there's a speaker element there too). When sound is working it is also very poor with lots of disturbance.

I am thinking there's a bad connector somewhere, but where would I look? Windshield was replaced six months ago - audio has been fine since. Passenger side mirror was replaced a few months ago - audio has been fine since.
    I am tempted to remove both door cards and look, but I have seen the connectors there and they are really firm, locked in place. All fuses are fine.
    Audi A4 TSq build thread.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

what about amplifier in the back? i believe rear and front speakers are powered by the amp in bose system for B7.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by hemantpd1 View Post
    what about amplifier in the back? i believe rear and front speakers are powered by the amp in bose system for B7.
    Yes,
    I found that with the drivers door open the stereo worked for quite a while, but sound wasnít great. I also found that pressing/pushing on the Bose amp in the trunk I was able to cause disturbance and a few times the sound would just stop. Actually just putting the panel back over the amp caused sound to stop from speakers.

So I am thinking thereís something with the cabling to the amp or the amp is about to die and itís just working on and off until itís fried for good.

My friend is an electrical engineer and he has promised to help troubleshoot over the weekend.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I had a similar issue and the dealership said my head unit was toast. Thankfully I had an aftermarket warranty because the Audi dealership said they could NOT get a new head unit, so the warranty company gave me a $500 credit to get an aftermarket head unit.

I also thought my amplifer was the issue so I ordered another one. I now have a spare amplifier, and if you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping so you can at least test that.

**** Just read you have a bose system which I overlooked. My amp is for the non-bose system.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by skrelnik View Post
    I had a similar issue and the dealership said my head unit was toast. Thankfully I had an aftermarket warranty because the Audi dealership said they could NOT get a new head unit, so the warranty company gave me a $500 credit to get an aftermarket head unit.

I also thought my amplifer was the issue so I ordered another one. I now have a spare amplifier, and if you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping so you can at least test that.

**** Just read you have a bose system which I overlooked. My amp is for the non-bose system.
    In non-bose, rear is powered by amp and ront is powerd by head unit.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Iím interested in the outcome here. All my sound comes out of the rear passenger speaker, sometimes the driver door speaker works, but most of the time it doesnít.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Updates?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The head unit is no good. Time for an upgrade!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

ROOT CAUSE:
    Window washer fluid hose had failed inside the hatch hinge. It had then leaked washer fluid inside panels and into BOSE amplifier. The amplifier internal pins on the connector had corroded. And the amplifier failed, shutting down all speakers.

SOLUTION:
    Replaced the amplifier, cleaned all connector terminals, cleaned headliner and side panels, fixed the broken hose...

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

is this an avant ?
    By the way you describe it, it would have to be...
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiB720TS View Post
    ROOT CAUSE:
    Window washer fluid hose had failed inside the hatch hinge. It had then leaked washer fluid inside panels and into BOSE amplifier. The amplifier internal pins on the connector had corroded. And the amplifier failed, shutting down all speakers.

SOLUTION:
    Replaced the amplifier, cleaned all connector terminals, cleaned headliner and side panels, fixed the broken hose...
    Great...