Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Q5 trim help

Established Member Two Rings ArizonaA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Q5 trim help

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need some help with my trim. I have no idea what caused this spotting on the trim and roof rails but it doesn't come off. I've tried metal polish and even tried with a Mr clean magic eraser. Nothing touches it. I'm either going to wrap it or replace all my trim unless you all have some ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2013 S6 Prestige
    2016 Q5 P+ / S-Line / Tech

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    a 12 Second boat, & Wife's Lincoln

Photos are often hard to decipher in terms of spots like this. Magic erasers can be dangerous on trim and metals as they do microscopically scuff them so be careful.

If polish didn't do it, I would suggest something like 3D Eraser Gel. Eraser gel is a mild naturally based acid based cleaner. Much better than vinegar or APC's. Do not leave it on glass for more than 1 minute but it does work great for removing hard water spots. . Safe on metals and paints, especially for removing super tough hard water spots/etchings. That's what that appears to be simply by looking at those images, especially the last one. I love the product and use it often on customer cars.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport | Burger MS JB4 | 395awhp/430awtq
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic Lincoln MK-C Reserve | AWD 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife's
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Photos are often hard to decipher in terms of spots like this. Magic erasers can be dangerous on trim and metals as they do microscopically scuff them so be careful.

If polish didn't do it, I would suggest something like 3D Eraser Gel. Eraser gel is a mild naturally based acid based cleaner. Much better than vinegar or APC's. Do not leave it on glass for more than 1 minute but it does work great for removing hard water spots. . Safe on metals and paints, especially for removing super tough hard water spots/etchings. That's what that appears to be simply by looking at those images, especially the last one. I love the product and use it often on customer cars.
    Thanks, I ordered some and I'll report back with my results!
    2013 S6 Prestige

AZ Member #

Well I gave the 3D Eraser gel a shot and it didn't phase it either. Whatever this is it has discolored the metal. I think my only options are to wrap it or replace it. The car is still under factory warranty, I might plead my case to the dealer and see if they will do anything for me. Worth a shot.
    2013 S6 Prestige

Senior Member Three Rings Avus RS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Buff it out.
    2007 Avus Silver Rs4
    Bone Stock

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaA6 View Post
    Well I gave the 3D Eraser gel a shot and it didn't phase it either. Whatever this is it has discolored the metal. I think my only options are to wrap it or replace it. The car is still under factory warranty, I might plead my case to the dealer and see if they will do anything for me. Worth a shot.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. :( Again, it does appear to be some type of chemical reaction that etched/stained the surface. Good news is a wrap job won't be too costly and it can dramatically change the appearance for the better. I wrapped my Infiniti myself for less than $75 in material and that includes lots of initial waste as I learned. Here are a few before and after shots mixed in with some misc. shots of the car.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport | Burger MS JB4 | 395awhp/430awtq
    2014 Brilliant Black S4 | S-Tronic | 187mm APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley & APR TCU Tunes | APR CPS - SOLD

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Avus RS4 View Post
    Buff it out.
    This might be an option as well though I'm concerned with the appearance of the metal after buffing and if I would need to restore some sort of clear coat to ensure the metal is protected from further oxidation. Thanks!

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. :( Again, it does appear to be some type of chemical reaction that etched/stained the surface. Good news is a wrap job won't be too costly and it can dramatically change the appearance for the better. I wrapped my Infiniti myself for less than $75 in material and that includes lots of initial waste as I learned. Here are a few before and after shots mixed in with some misc. shots of the car.
    Thanks for the pictures. Your ride looks fantastic! I have received a few quotes for the wrap and I'm thinking I'll take a shot at doing it myself as well. I see a few sellers on amazon that advertise 3M vinyl products but If you have a recommendtion on where to get my supplies I'll take it. I'm generally prety good at things like this, so why not take a stab at it right. I'll probably still see if Audi will help me with anything parts/labor on replacing the trim first.

Thanks gents!
    2013 S6 Prestige

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

What happens if you lightly take your fingernail against it - does anything scrape off?

Mine needs to be wrapped -

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I bought this stuff -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My patience got the best of me though so I will be paying someone to do it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chip_ View Post
    What happens if you lightly take your fingernail against it - does anything scrape off?

Mine needs to be wrapped -
    I actually took 1500 grit sandpaper to it and it didn't get all the way to the bottom of the etching. Would have taken a lot of work to sand down and then polish back to a shine. I have wrapped the passenger side in gloss black so far.

IMG_20181228_123515_01.jpgIMG_20181228_142817.jpg

ordered my 3m vinyl on https://www.amazon.com
    Last edited by ArizonaA6; 12-31-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    2013 S6 Prestige

AZ Member #
    My Garage

light years better than silver! nicely done man!

Established Member Three Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

I actually took 1500 grit sandpaper to it and it didn't get all the way to the bottom of the etching. Would have taken a lot of work to sand down and then polish back to a shine. I have wrapped the passenger side in gloss black so far.

IMG_20181228_123515_01.jpgIMG_20181228_142817.jpg

ordered my 3m vinyl on https://www.amazon.com
    Looks awesome, great job!

AZ Member #

light years better than silver! nicely done man!
    Thanks, it turned out better than I expected. Now to fiure out the roof rails. There are a lot of complex surfaces to try and wrap. Anybody wrapped the roof rails and have any tips?
    2013 S6 Prestige

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Looks awesome, great job!
    Thanks! Hopefully doing the driver's side tomorrow.
    2013 S6 Prestige

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings DetailersDomain's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks! Hopefully doing the driver's side tomorrow.
    just curious do you know what hit the trim to begin with?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
    just curious do you know what hit the trim to begin with?
    I have no idea. Bought the car that way and got a pretty good deal because if it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2013 S6 Prestige

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks, it turned out better than I expected. Now to fiure out the roof rails. There are a lot of complex surfaces to try and wrap. Anybody wrapped the roof rails and have any tips?
    I would spray them with Auto Dip.

AZ Member #

I would spray them with Auto Dip.
    I wrapped one rail last night, It did not turn out as nice as I would like. I think I'm going to try the plasti-dip route.
    2013 S6 Prestige