Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Transmission pan capacity

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What is the fluid capacity for the trans pan for a 2005 A6 Quattro 3.2?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Your best bet is to get the info off the tag on the transmission and look up that information from there. There is drain and fill capacity, a replace filter capacity, and a full flush.

It is recommended that you keep track of how much you drain out, so you know approximately how much to put back in.

Read up on the procedures, lots of information floating around the forum.
    Mine - 06 A6 4.2 - Stock except for the wheels
    Wife's 05 A8 4.2 - Bone Stock

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Alright, I scanned my car with a VCDS and my software is

AG6 09L 3.2FSI USA 0020

That means it was updated to use 6+ and 8 fluid, correct?

Also so even though it was updated it could still have regular ZF6 fluid which isn’t compatible with the 6+ and 8 fluid, correct?

I have searched this website and Audizine but can’t find anything definite. I have read a lot of speculation and guessing

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Von R. View Post
    Alright, I scanned my car with a VCDS and my software is

AG6 09L 3.2FSI USA 0020

That means it was updated to use 6+ and 8 fluid, correct?

Also so even though it was updated it could still have regular ZF6 fluid which isnít compatible with the 6+ and 8 fluid, correct?

I have searched this website and Audizine but canít find anything definite. I have read a lot of speculation and guessing
    OK, so There is very little chance that the trans has the earlier fluid, especially if a dealer did the software upgrade. I know my Indy can do them, but that is fairly rare.
    As for the type of fluid, Yes you will most likely need either the 6+ or the 8. I am looking for a document I found when I was working on mine, that showed all the different trans / SW versions. I will post it as soon as I have it.

BTW, is this a ZF 6HP19? Do you have a picture of the trans tag? probably a green and silver tag on the trans.

Link to some files that should help, but you will need Info from the tag on the trans. Trans INFO
    Last edited by sswari; 12-22-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Mine - 06 A6 4.2 - Stock except for the wheels
    Wife's 05 A8 4.2 - Bone Stock

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sswari View Post
    OK, so There is very little chance that the trans has the earlier fluid, especially if a dealer did the software upgrade. I know my Indy can do them, but that is fairly rare.
    As for the type of fluid, Yes you will most likely need either the 6+ or the 8. I am looking for a document I found when I was working on mine, that showed all the different trans / SW versions. I will post it as soon as I have it.

BTW, is this a ZF 6HP19? Do you have a picture of the trans tag? probably a green and silver tag on the trans.

Link to some files that should help, but you will need Info from the tag on the trans. Trans INFO
    Yes, itís a zf6hp19. I was just underneath the car earlier and read the tag. I pulled the fill plug on it to check the fluid color ( with it running at 38c) and the fluid looked like a golden color. It was just the residual on the full plug, but it definitely looked like a yellow/ gold color. That means it has the ZF 6 fluid still on it correct?

The link you posted is empty
    Last edited by Klaus Von R.; 12-22-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can the yellow zf6 be mixed with the green zf8? Every parts website, FCP, ECS,.. even the Audi dealer says I need the ZF8 fluid.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

For future reference for any one needing transmission fluid capacity

ZF6HP19
    Full system=9.5L

Dropping the pan= 4L

Draining the pan= 2.5L

Veteran Member Three Rings estomax's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A6 Avant 3.2L, 13 Leaf, 08 Titan

Is there a dip stick or fill plug to help confirm that there is the right amount in the tranny? I have a 3.2

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Fill plug

AZ Member #
    My Garage

is the spec to fill to fill plug on level ground, or is it some amount of mm below fill plug level?
    2007 A6 Avant 3.2L Black/Black, 235k miles

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Car is suppose to be level. I put it in the air on jack stands, no way I could slide underneath without. Fill when trans temp is between 30c to 40c, fill till fluid comes out of the fill hole, shift through gears and fill again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Klaus i'm gonna piggyback off your thread, did you just do an oil change without filter change? or did you do filter while you were at it?

are these the drain and fill plugs? my gut would say the fill plug needs to be the one on the side, but from pics it appears you got to fill through the bottom.

and what is the software update on the trans about? Mine might not have it.
    Part No SW: 4F2 910 156 G HW: 09L 927 156 C
    Component: AG6 09L 3.2 FSI USA 0010
    Revision: --H01--- Serial number: 4302611
    Coding: 0000002
    Shop #: WSC 02325 785 00200
    VCID: 2953F0D080119902A2-807C

The trans i have is JMM

thanks for your two cents, i have been able to find tidbits about transmission oil changes but no proper DIY thread with good documentation. Some threads also mentioned different chambers inside the transmission for different fluids? or is there only one chamber for the ZF fluid and thats it?
    Last edited by estomax; 01-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I did a fluid and filter change. At 119,000 miles my filter was full and needed replacement, it was the original filter.

Your are correct with the drain and fill plugs. The small plug on the front of the pan is the drain and the large 17mm plug on the back is the fill plug.

Your software is the old software ending with 0010 and has never been updated. You are gonna use ZF6 lifeguard fluid.

There are different chambers for the transfer case and the torsen center differential and they all take different fluids.

Active Member Two Rings snowzach's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here's information on the fluid: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...truth-2882676/
    There's actually lots of different fluid that's compatible. Most people will recommend ZF Lifeguard. I did ATF that Napa Had that matched M-1375.4 specs and it's shifted fine/exactly the same as it did with the original fluid.

I seem to recall it using in the neighborhood of 6 quarts when I did it. It's been a little while. You're also supposed to reset the computer and run an adaptation which essentially involves resetting the computer with a VCDS and drive around at specific speeds in specific gears until it adapts. I can always tell when it's adapting as you can feel the clutches disengage and engage quickly 3-4 times in succession. Feels like 4-5 small jerks in power when running at a steady speed.
    Here's some information http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...drive_sequence
    And a really technical manual that's interesting about the transmission: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...achmentid=9953

Also here's a small thread on center differential fluid. http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s...05-a6-2827577/
    The stuff costs insane amount and it only takes like a pint or two.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by snowzach View Post
    Here's information on the fluid: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...truth-2882676/
    There's actually lots of different fluid that's compatible. Most people will recommend ZF Lifeguard. I did ATF that Napa Had that matched M-1375.4 specs and it's shifted fine/exactly the same as it did with the original fluid.

I seem to recall it using in the neighborhood of 6 quarts when I did it. It's been a little while. You're also supposed to reset the computer and run an adaptation which essentially involves resetting the computer with a VCDS and drive around at specific speeds in specific gears until it adapts. I can always tell when it's adapting as you can feel the clutches disengage and engage quickly 3-4 times in succession. Feels like 4-5 small jerks in power when running at a steady speed.
    Here's some information http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...drive_sequence
    And a really technical manual that's interesting about the transmission: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...achmentid=9953

Also here's a small thread on center differential fluid. http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s...05-a6-2827577/
    The stuff costs insane amount and it only takes like a pint or two.
    As far as fluid goes for ZF 6 fluid you can use Ford Mercon SP trans fluid. The Mercon SP is spec for Fordís ZF transmissions. It meets the same spec as ZF 6 fluid ( Shell M-1375.4) and they are classified in the same group by the API. Here is a copy of the API group for ZF6, Mercon SP and VW G 055 005 A

ASP15 Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Ford Specification No. M2C 919DMercon SP Fluid Part No. XT-6QSP, Shell ATF M1375.4, VW ATF Part No. G 055 005 A ,ZF 6-speed Automatic Transmission Fluid

I had ZF6 fluid in my trans, the fluid smelled exactly like Mercon SP. I switched over to ZF8 because I had the updated software. If I was to do it over I would have just stuck with the ZF 6 fluid and used Mercon SP. For the price difference you can do 10 refills with Mercon SP, instead of ZF6.

Active Member Two Rings snowzach's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That was a long rambling answer to your original question BTW.. I bought my kit here: https://www.thectsc.com/products/oil...an-216-43.html and it includes 6 liters. Unfortunately they no longer sell anything from what I've seen.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

thanks for the input guys, i came across someone who had 3 liters of ZF 6 left over, so now i just need 2 or 3 more and the filter and pan gasket and my old trans shall be refreshed.

Klaus, since you just did this, did you end up using 4 liters of fluid when dropping the pan or more? I am reading anywhere between 4 and 6 liters when dropping the pan.
    Last edited by estomax; 01-15-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by estomax View Post
    thanks for the input guys, i came across someone who had 3 liters of ZF 6 left over, so now i just need 2 or 3 more and the filter and pan gasket and my old trans shall be refreshed.

Klaus, since you just did this, did you end up using 4 liters of fluid when dropping the pan or more? I am reading anywhere between 4 and 6 liters when dropping the pan.
    The initial pan drop is about 4L, but when you pull the filter you will get some more, and if you let the valve body drip oil for a while it will be a little more.

I would suggest to get about 8 liters total. Do a pan drop replace the filter, replace pan, refill. Let it run for 5 mins while up in the air, then just drain the pan, refill, then the fluid will cleaner and you will have about one liter left over for topping off or in an emergency etc.