Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings TwistRate's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How many have blown MagRide shocks?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm looking into suspension options and spent some time reading the RS3 forum. Over there many people are experiencing magride shock failure. As you would expect 99% of the time they are lowered on springs. Curious if the TTRS community is experiencing the same thing. Obviously our spring rates are different from the factory but most aftermarket spring rates are like for like.

Please provide feedback on suspension based issues you've encountered stock or othewise. It would be beneficial to provide a brief list of parts as well as type of driving that may have contributed to the issue.

Established Member Two Rings TwistRate's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No no one has had any issues with the MagRide shocks?!?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Not yet man... and I hope I dont.

Established Member Three Rings Chuckster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 TTS & '16 Q3

Negative. 21k miles. On MSS streets.
    2017 Audi TTS | 034 | APR+ | HRE | Magnaflow | MSS |
    2016 Audi Q3 | Stock |

Veteran Member Four Rings VeryBadman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

8.4K miles on H&R, seems fine so far.
    2018 Audi TTRS, Daytona Grey: Iroz/CC Stage 2 ECU & TCU, IE Intake, HFC Downpipe by Brink, Milltek HFC Midpipes, Iroz Intercooler and DSG Catch Can, Technology, Black Optic, Sport Exhaust, Blackout Badges, Pedalbox, H&R Springs, Direct TPMS, Euro OLED Taillights, Neuspeed RSe102 19x9 et45 in Texas Grey
    Other: 2017 BMW X1
    Throwbacks: 2014 Audi RS7, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4, 2008 Audi A4

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    Negative. 21k miles. On MSS streets.
    Waiting for my MSS. How mich do you like yours!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Quote Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
    8.4K miles on H&R, seems fine so far.
    How much do you like your H&R sprinogs so far?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by Beto Q5 View Post
    How much do you like your H&R sprinogs so far?
    They are quite stiff as they give the lowest ride among all lowering springs for our car. Previously I was on stock 20 wheels and I think the ride was too rough to drive everyday but it was fine for me a while since I only drove the car over the weekends. Anyway, I put on the new wheels of 19 and 35 series tires recently and found that the ride is much better with this setup. Its still a little stiff but not too bad and totally fine to drive everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Audi TTRS, Daytona Grey: Iroz/CC Stage 2 ECU & TCU, IE Intake, HFC Downpipe by Brink, Milltek HFC Midpipes, Iroz Intercooler and DSG Catch Can, Technology, Black Optic, Sport Exhaust, Blackout Badges, Pedalbox, H&R Springs, Direct TPMS, Euro OLED Taillights, Neuspeed RSe102 19x9 et45 in Texas Grey

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

They are quite stiff as they give the lowest ride among all lowering springs for our car. Previously I was on stock 20 wheels and I think the ride was too rough to drive everyday but it was fine for me a while since I only drove the car over the weekends. Anyway, I put on the new wheels of 19 and 35 series tires recently and found that the ride is much better with this setup. Its still a little stiff but not too bad and totally fine to drive everyday.

Sweet! My car came with 19 wheels and it feels very good; I guess driving 245/30 R20 tires is like using ruber bands around the wheels! 😂

I know there are just a few set of springs planned for the Magnetic Ride, being these H&R, MSS and 034 Motorsport (I dont know if there are KWs HAS for this platform?).

Thanks for the feedback!

Active Member Two Rings Jeff_Jeske's Avatar
    AZ Member #

KW has a set of coilovers but things get twice as complicated when you remove the magride shocks. You can attempt to use isweep dummy load simulators and try to disable the magride thru VAG but both seem to present inconsistent results and both options come at a cost.
    2018 White TTRS

Established Member Three Rings Chuckster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '17 TTS & '16 Q3

Waiting for my MSS. How mich do you like yours!
    A little soft for the rear if it was tracked, but helps retain oem comfort as a daily driver which is what I have the car for.
    I also moved up to 265/30/20 so there was minimal increased harshness from being lowered.
    2017 Audi TTS | 034 | APR+ | HRE | Magnaflow | MSS |
    2016 Audi Q3 | Stock |

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske View Post
    KW has a set of coilovers but things get twice as complicated when you remove the magride shocks. You can attempt to use isweep dummy load simulators and try to disable the magride thru VAG but both seem to present inconsistent results and both options come at a cost.

Yes, I think I would go with the KWs cancelation kit if Id plan to go with coilovers; I hope KW releases their Magnetic Ride compatible coilovers.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    A little soft for the rear if it was tracked, but helps retain oem comfort as a daily driver which is what I have the car for.
    I also moved up to 265/30/20 so there was minimal increased harshness from being lowered.
    Way to go with your wheels! 😬👍🏻👍🏻

If you go with the stiffer springs setup you could track your car in abetter way, but I beleive it would be kind of stiff for a daily driver.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

Yes, I think I would go with the KWs cancelation kit if Id plan to go with coilovers; I hope KW releases their Magnetic Ride compatible coilovers.
    Thats my next plan for suspension mod. I will likely get KW DDC that is mag ride compatible to replace factory mag ride. I thought about KW V3 with cancellation kit a couple times but at the end of the day I would hate to lose a feature in my car after all.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

Thats my next plan for suspension mod. I will likely get KW DDC that is mag ride compatible to replace factory mag ride. I thought about KW V3 with cancellation kit a couple times but at the end of the day I would hate to lose a feature in my car after all.

I think the same way you do for this matter. Starting by the fact thst I do feel the driving diffences using the different drive selects setups. Some people filltheir cars the same in either mode.

AZ Member #

I thought the KW DDC was simply a cancellation kit. You no longer retain multiple modes but the ECU is made to believe the magrides are still there. I hear the KW product has not been as error free as the isweep product.
    2018 White TTRS

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

I thought the KW DDC was simply a cancellation kit. You no longer retain multiple modes but the ECU is made to believe the magrides are still there. I hear the KW product has not been as error free as the isweep product.
    Thanks, I thought you kept Magnetic Ride capabilities.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 BMW X1

You are talking about KW V3 with Cancelation kit. The DDC one is Magnetic Ride compatible but it is not officially released. I was told that KW had that option available in Europe for a brief moment but it has been pulled out now.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW i3

You are talking about KW V3 with Cancelation kit. The DDC one is Magnetic Ride compatible but it is not officially released. I was told that KW had that option available in Europe for a brief moment but it has been pulled out now.

I hope they release it soon

Active Member Two Rings exMk1=Mk2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q5

On the 2012 TT (ordered mag ride) no problems for at all for the 6 years I had it. The Mk3 TTS I have now has only 8K on it. Knock on wood, no problems. I would suspect that if pushed daily in track use, or at least a lot generally, problems would occur. Just a guess.
    Last edited by exMk1=Mk2; 02-12-2019 at 08:15 AM.

AZ Member #

Learn something everyday! Merry Christmas and thanks for the gift of knowledge.
    2018 White TTRS

Established Member Two Rings tommyccbc's Avatar
    AZ Member #

3 years and 45k later on my TTS MK3 with H&Rs. No problems what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings dgszweda's Avatar
    AZ Member #

14K miles on H&R OEM springs. No issues whatsoever.
    2018 Daytona Gray TTRS - Tech - Red Stitching - Black Optics - Sport Exhaust
    2014 Daytona Gray RS5 - MMI - Black Nappa - 20" rims - B&O - [SOLD]
    2008 Sprint Blue RS4 - [SOLD]
    2012 Monsoon Gray S4 - DSG - Sports Differential - B&O - Advance Key - MMI Navigation - Black Nappa
    My 2012 S4 Build Thread - [SOLD]