Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Grand Cherokee, Top Kart TaG karts

Looking at an S6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am looking at moving from my beloved 2016 S4 6mt to a 2018 S6. I will miss the manual but I need more room. I drove a SQ5 and liked it more than I thought I would but the engine just doesn't have the character of our supercharged motor. I will miss the whine!

The S6 is going away and will eventually be replaced with a supercharged 6. I like the V8 in the current S6 plus the discounts are pretty good. It also has the dual-clutch gearbox that while not a manual, isn't too bad. The question is - is this a bad decision? Anybody else made a move to an S6 or S7? Thoughts?

If I make the move, I will probable trade my car but if anyone is interested, let me know.
    Attached Images
    2016 S4 M6 with VMR V710 Sunken Treasure wheels / PS 4S tires. Daytona Grey / Panda interior

Established Member Two Rings jungy4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did you look at S5 sportback?
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    2006 Acura TL 6MT
    2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe
    2011 INFINITI FX35

Current - 2015 S4 6MT

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi S4, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Iíd go s7. But hey. To each their own. Either way nice 👍

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

If something happens to my S4, I'm def. getting a S6 ( and swap for RS7 turbos + some bracing mod)
    S4 B8.5 no track, just enjoying spirited driving.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can easily tune your S6 for an additional 125hp or so with a basic tune. Search up Audi S6 4.0 tuning...lots left on the table. The only weak link is the transmission. With a basic tune you should be fine....you'll note the Audi RS7 lineup uses a different transmission which supports more tq.

The S6 with a tune and exhaust is what i'm leaning towards as well...after doing some research.
    2015 Audi S4 6MT Glacier White w Black Interior
    2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Triple Black
    1998 Chev Camaro LS2 Rear mount Turbo (710+hp/710+rwtq @ 14# boost at the wheels)
    2016 Audi SQ5 Technik Glacier White w Black/Red Interior -SOLD
    2010 Audi S5 Coupe 6MT, Daytona Grey/Magma Red Interior - SOLD
    2010 Jeep SRT8 - SOLD
    ​​​​​​​2006 BMW E46 M3 Coupe 6MT - SOLD
    2011 Volvo XC70 T6 & S60 T6 - SOLD
    2004 Audi S4 V8 Sedan - SOLD
    2002 Acura TL Type S - SOLD

AZ Member #

Looking at an S6

I left the B8 S4 chassis and went to a B9 SQ5. I also drove 14-15 RS7s but ultimately wanted room for 2 kids and the dog - so skipped the RS. I love the SQ. The 18 is a great upgrade from the B8, especially in tech.

The S6 was ďtoo similarĒ for me where it didnít feel like a big enough change to make the change. I love them - but donít regret my choice

Sent from my
    2018 SQ5 - Daytona, Prestige - JB4 on E85, Airmatic Lowering Links & 15mm Spacers on 21s

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

Senior Member Four Rings Jroyalty7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Going back and forth between an S6 and a RS3, I like the tunability options for both, I like the premium "feel" and features of the s6 as well as the space but love the raw power and sound of the rs3. Like someone else said the s6 feels too similar to my s4 which is what's pushing me towards the rs3. Still not sure but I have a few months to decide. Good luck either way maybe I'll see you on the s6 side.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

Established Member Two Rings Indepth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In the 4.0T group on Facebook Iíve read multiple times that a dual pulley S4 is as fast (or slightly faster) than a stage 2 S6/7. They say it takes a stage 3 (RS7 turbo swap) S6/7 to pull on us.

Iíve commented on posts a few times in there because I had interest in the 4.0T platform in the S6/7 and the added luxuries. But after reading further into it and hearing first hand from former S4 owners in that group. They all said the same thing by and large - keep the S4. Itís faster for cheaper and dollar for dollar tends to be cheaper.

All that being said, the supercharged V6 platform has proven to be reliable at higher power levels whereas the 4.0T requires more maintenance than our cars when really modded out.
    His: 2011 Audi S4 Phantom Black Pearl w/DSG - Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU & TCU | CTS 187mm Crank Pulley | GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra | B8.5 Steering Wheel | 20% Tint | ECS CF Front Lip & Rear Diffuser

Hers: 2014 Audi SQ5 Daytona Gray Pearl - Stock, for now...

Racecar: 2007 Corvette Z06 Velocity Yellow (633rwhp/517rwtq) - H/C/I/E - Max Effort N/A Build

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
    In the 4.0T group on Facebook Iíve read multiple times that a dual pulley S4 is as fast (or slightly faster) than a stage 2 S6/7. They say it takes a stage 3 (RS7 turbo swap) S6/7 to pull on us.

Iíve commented on posts a few times in there because I had interest in the 4.0T platform in the S6/7 and the added luxuries. But after reading further into it and hearing first hand from former S4 owners in that group. They all said the same thing by and large - keep the S4. Itís faster for cheaper and dollar for dollar tends to be cheaper.

All that being said, the supercharged V6 platform has proven to be reliable at higher power levels whereas the 4.0T requires more maintenance than our cars when really modded out.
    from a redlight, maybe, but I'm sure from a 50kmh pull or highway (100kmh) the S6 stg 2 with its extra torque will pull away from us DP. I've been suprised myself, my ego got slightly hurt as I always thought I was a true sleeper, than this freakin heavy S7 comes behind me and pull me :( loll!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by waxxonMTL View Post
    from a redlight, maybe, but I'm sure from a 50kmh pull or highway (100kmh) the S6 stg 2 with its extra torque will pull away from us DP. I've been suprised myself, my ego got slightly hurt as I always thought I was a true sleeper, than this freakin heavy S7 comes behind me and pull me :( loll!
    Could be true. Power to weight ratios also affect cars performance vs one another as well, and Iím sure the S6/7ís weigh more.

However, the S4 is a daily for me. While I enjoy a fun daily thatís quick, itíll never be to the level of a serious sports car. So I have to stop myself and ask whether or not the additional modification costs to obtain additional power on the 4.0T platform is worth it. This, coupled with the increased likelihood of component failures using a turbocharged application (clogged oil pick ups, oil return lines, turbocharger failures, etc.) all end up with me saying the S4 with a dual pulley setup is the answer for me.

For others with only one car, I wouldnít blame them for opting for the S6/7.
    His: 2011 Audi S4 Phantom Black Pearl w/DSG - Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU & TCU | CTS 187mm Crank Pulley | GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra | B8.5 Steering Wheel | 20% Tint | ECS CF Front Lip & Rear Diffuser

Racecar: 2007 Corvette Z06 Velocity Yellow (633rwhp/517rwtq) - H/C/I/E - Max Effort N/A Build

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
    Could be true. Power to weight ratios also affect cars performance vs one another as well, and Iím sure the S6/7ís weigh more.

However, the S4 is a daily for me. While I enjoy a fun daily thatís quick, itíll never be to the level of a serious sports car. So I have to stop myself and ask whether or not the additional modification costs to obtain additional power on the 4.0T platform is worth it. This, coupled with the increased likelihood of component failures using a turbocharged application (clogged oil pick ups, oil return lines, turbocharger failures, etc.) all end up with me saying the S4 with a dual pulley setup is the answer for me.

For others with only one car, I wouldnít blame them for opting for the S6/7.
    Agree with you, which is why I'm looking at an exotic in the next 2 years. The S4 DP will become the ''beater'' lol But if something were to happens to her, I would seriously consider the S6. I can't consider the RS3, its a step down in luxury and I got used to the 4 series, I wouldn't want to go lower now.

AZ Member #

Agree with you, which is why I'm looking at an exotic in the next 2 years. The S4 DP will become the ''beater'' lol But if something were to happens to her, I would seriously consider the S6. I can't consider the RS3, its a step down in luxury and I got used to the 4 series, I wouldn't want to go lower now.
    Iím in the same boat. If anything ever happened to my S4 Iíd have a serious dilemma deciding to grab a 2016 S4 or a S6. But as far as trading my S4 in of my own choice for an S6? Not worth it currently.

Senior Member Two Rings 03redgti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

no S7 love? you can get 2014's in the low 30's now
    2013 S4 | Glacier White | Chestnut Brown Interior 1/13 | IE Stage 2 | IE Intake | JHM V2 Test Pipes | Custom Magnaflow Exhaust | Solo-Werks S1 | VMR v706 19x9.5 | Continental DWS |

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 03redgti View Post
    no S7 love? you can get 2014's in the low 30's now
    Not everyone like the hatchback look :)

Senior Member Two Rings 03redgti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not everyone like the hatchback look :)
    yeah true.
    2013 S4 | Glacier White | Chestnut Brown Interior 1/13 | IE Stage 2 | IE Intake | JHM V2 Test Pipes | Custom Magnaflow Exhaust | Solo-Werks S1 | VMR v706 19x9.5 | Continental DWS |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi S4, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by 03redgti View Post
    yeah true.
    I do. Much love ❤️

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Theres a guy local who has an s6 and spent acouple grand on rs7 turbos he got used overseas and he runs mid 10s in the upper 120s all day. Never had a single issue with the transmission. He broken a few axles like the rs7 guys do but its a cheap and easy fix. Its a larger driving car. I had a 16 a6 sportine and didnt like how big it drove but if you like having a cruiser its a great car. An s8 would be great too

2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Hx, 74mm TB
    11.23 at 121.86mph - draggy - 97 octane - +219DA

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    --------------------------Gone------------------------
    2013 S5 -- 2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Established Member Three Rings digdah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The S6 platform can get costly to own if you get a troublesome car. I strongly suggest, if you go that route, getting it fully checked out keeping an eye on the launch count as well as getting a warranty. Between expensive fixes it is such a blast to drive particularly if you change up the exhaust with either an aftermarket one or chop up the factory one and add an xpipe. Stay away from the 2013 model S6 unless it has documentation showing the oil strainer has been changed.
    2013 S6 | Phantom Black Pearl | Innovation Package | BOSE + JL Audio Micro Sub| Milltek non-resonated catback |APR Stage 1 |Avant Garde M510

Established Member Two Rings jcpowell's Avatar
    AZ Member #

To me the ideal car to have would be an RS6 non-avant unicorn so I tend to want to move toward the S6 also. I would like the little extra room, I prefer the aesthetics and luxury features it offers, and a V8 is almost always more interesting lol
    2011 Phantom Black S4 | DSG | Sport Diff & ADS | EPL Stage 1+TCU | Injen Intake | ECS Drivetrain Mounts | H&R OE Sport Springs | VMR V803 Hyper Silver | RS Grille

AZ Member #

The $15k incentives have me looking at trading my 16 S4 on an 18 S6. I usually go used, but $63k for a $80k car is almost too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 S6

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by benk777 View Post
    The $15k incentives have me looking at trading my 16 S4 on an 18 S6. I usually go used, but $63k for a $80k car is almost too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well that was dangerous for me to read... Do tell more on these $15K worth of incentives...

AZ Member #

Dangerous indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 S6

Established Member Two Rings Envy187's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dangerous indeed.
    That's awesome! I don't believe this promotion is available in Canada, so you Americans are in luck!

Established Member Two Rings QS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Corvette 1994 Black Rose 6 speed LT1

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

Dangerous indeed.

And in this case $15,000!! IF there's one in stock!

I love the discussion of this thread! It is interesting seeing the opinions on the dynamics of the S4 and neighboring vehicles! I enjoy the size and power:weight ratio that the S4 has COMBINED with the luxury when taking it easy. I'm sure S6/RS6 platform is great and the S8 could be called a sport tank - all in a positive way! Audi's 3 series are the pocket rockets that definitely are a blast to drive but hurts when you'd like to haul a few things.

Here's an idea, Avant?
    Last edited by QS4; 12-18-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    2013 S4 - 6' 105 kg totally alert & capable driver - Performance demonstrations are provided daily - smooth, never jostled...

AZ Member #

Iíd love an RS4 Avant, but I guess Iíll have to settle for the S6 I secured today. Now to get my S4 back to stock and wait for the cross country transfer.

Thanks,

Ben

2018 S6

AZ Member #

Iíd love an RS4 Avant, but I guess Iíll have to settle for the S6 I secured today. Now to get my S4 back to stock and wait for the cross country transfer.

Thanks,

Ben

You dog, throw that deal in front of my face and then snag an S6 to further tempt me. This is torture. I keep looking at S6ís but the fact that everyone in the 4.0T Facebook group says that a dual pulley S4 is as fast as a stage 2 4.0T car has me saying I need to wait until my S4 gives me serious trouble before Iím forced to move to the more luxurious S6 camp.

... And with the S4ís reliability Iím not sure thatís in the near future, even with the 95K miles I have on it now...