Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do I need AudiConnect to be able to send destination from Google iphone app to car?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am trying to get the google maps sendtocar to work. I followed the instructions. However, my MMI does not recognize the PIN given on audi.com under "service enabled".
    Do I need AudiConnect for the MMI to verify the pin?

This is for a 2015 S5.

Established Member Two Rings John_Kaufmann's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do I need AudiConnect to be able to send destination from Google iphone app to car?

Nope I can send addresses through the Audi app. However the google maps function no longer works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings ralphie_43's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A5 B5 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by John_Kaufmann View Post
    Nope I can send addresses through the Audi app. However the google maps function no longer works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you elaborate on Google maps function not working? Can you still use the original non Google nav?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings John_Kaufmann's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I cannot send addresses from the share function on Google maps from other devices. However I can search from the myAudi phone app and send an address to my car navigation from there. By clicking the send button seen below.

I have read the Google maps integration send to function was disabled. I never got it to work.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I have a very basic question. Does Google SendtoCar or Audiapp work through Bluetooth or not?

If not, I am concluding for any to work I need to get a cell plan for my car.

Regarding the apps:
    - Google maps app: I don't find a send to phone (or car) option. The only relating option is send to "audi app".
    - Audi app: I can select send to car. States it has done so successfully. However, I can't find the destination in the nav. Therefore my basic question...

Established Member Two Rings DrGER's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT, 2004 Honda CR-V EX 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by John_Kaufmann View Post
    I cannot send addresses from the share function on Google maps from other devices. However I can search from the myAudi phone app and send an address to my car navigation from there. By clicking the send button seen below.

I have read the Google maps integration send to function was disabled. I never got it to work.
    Google changed the way accounts are linked between Google and Audi Connect sometime last summer, which broke this function.
    Part of the problem is that Audi didn't update the instructions on how this now works, so if you follow the instructions literally, it will fail.

Log into myAudi (https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/overview) and select "Audi connect services".
    Pick "Destination entry via Google Maps" and the "My account" tab and check your AccountID on this page: if you use an e-mail address for this, it will fail (due to special characters in e-mail addresses).
    A simple solution is to just delete the '@' and '.' characters (e.g., johndoe1gmailcom), then pick the "OK>>" button.

You'll also need to update this AccountID in Google Maps: browse to a destination and select "Send to your phone" and choose "Car" in the pop-up. In the next screen, select your Audi from the drop down list and select "Edit". On this new "Send to car - Car and GPS Devices" page, edit the entry for your Audi and change the "Account or Device ID" to match the AccountID you saved above at myAudi.

We don't use this often, but it's great when it works. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DrGER; 12-18-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    2014 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Monsoon Grey. Previous: 2009 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Brilliant Red; 2005 A4Q 1.8T 6MT Cambridge Green; 1995 90Q V6 5MT Pearl White; 1990 80Q I5 5MT Crystal Silver; 1984 5000S I5 5MT Montego Black; 1978 5000 Helios Blue; 1977 100LS Signal Green; 1974 Fox Sahara Sand.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DrGER View Post
    Google changed the way accounts are linked between Google and Audi Connect sometime last summer, which broke this function.
    Part of the problem is that Audi didn't update the instructions on how this now works, so if you follow the instructions literally, it will fail.

Log into myAudi (https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/overview) and select "Audi connect services".
    Pick "Destination entry via Google Maps" and the "My account" tab and check your AccountID on this page: if you use an e-mail address for this, it will fail (due to special characters in e-mail addresses).
    A simple solution is to just delete the '@' and '.' characters (e.g., johndoe1gmailcom), then pick the "OK>>" button.

You'll also need to update this AccountID in Google Maps: browse to a destination and select "Send to your phone" and choose "Car" in the pop-up. In the next screen, select your Audi from the drop down list and select "Edit". On this new "Send to car - Car and GPS Devices" page, edit the entry for your Audi and change the "Account or Device ID" to match the AccountID you saved above at myAudi.

We don't use this often, but it's great when it works. Hope that helps.
    Thanks. In order to be able to send destinations form phone to cat does the car need to be connected with a cell data plan?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@Meadowdale -- The short answer is "yes".

Take a look at my thread about this topic over here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...i-Connect-Yes-!

If you don't already have 3G data to your 2015 S5 now, you can find a Freedompop SIM that works on the AT&T network for about a $1 and get up to 250MB of 3G data a month for free.
    We keep our Google Maps overlay on most of the time, and rarely use more than 200MB a month with a couple out-of-trips.

Hope that helps.
    2014 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Monsoon Grey. Previous: 2009 A4Q P+ 2.0T 6MT Brilliant Red; 2005 A4Q 1.8T 6MT Cambridge Green; 1995 90Q V6 5MT Pearl White; 1990 80Q I5 5MT Crystal Silver; 1984 5000S I5 5MT Montego Black; 1978 5000 Helios Blue; 1977 100LS Signal Green; 1974 Fox Sahara Sand.

AZ Member #

@Meadowdale -- The short answer is "yes".

Take a look at my thread about this topic over here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...i-Connect-Yes-!

If you don't already have 3G data to your 2015 S5 now, you can find a Freedompop SIM that works on the AT&T network for about a $1 and get up to 250MB of 3G data a month for free.
    We keep our Google Maps overlay on most of the time, and rarely use more than 200MB a month with a couple out-of-trips.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you. I will give it a try. I have some questions, but will use other thread.

AZ Member #

Got the freedompop SIM and got it to work. I hope the settings stick now. It referred back to Audi once.

Couple of questions:
    1.) Send destination: The only issue I have is that that I can only send destinations from my phone through the Audi app. In Google maps I only see the audi app as a valid send-to option. Not send to car.
    2.) In freedompop I currently can't find the downgrade option. Do I need to wait a couple of days?
    3.) map update: given the google integration, does this inherently update the maps? Or do I still need to get an upgrade and if so how?

AZ Member #

I canít get my Freedom Pop sim to work. Is there a certain SIM I need? What about APN and password?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pstonge View Post
    I canít get my Freedom Pop sim to work. Is there a certain SIM I need? What about APN and password?
    For me it is fp.com.attz and the freedompop user account

AZ Member #

Tell me more about the FP user account please

AZ Member #

Tell me more about the FP user account please
    the same account as you logon to freedompop web account

AZ Member #

Thanks.

AZ Member #

No luck. They sent me the LTE 3 in 1 SIM. Is that the correct SIM?
    Also, secure sign in or normal?
    Thanks.

AZ Member #

No luck. They sent me the LTE 3 in 1 SIM. Is that the correct SIM?
    Also, secure sign in or normal?
    Thanks.
    Seems right. I got a "LTE SIM Kit - 3-in-1 - Data-only" and yes normal.

AZ Member #

I still can't figure out how to send destinations from my iphone google map app to car (without audi app).
    I can send destinations from browser google maps. Therefore, I am assuming that my setup is correct? I also made sure that the ID does not have @, is no longer an email.

on iphone app I click on "share" icon where I have choices such as message, mail, ..., myAudi,... but not car.

AZ Member #

Any way you could send me a picture with the settings entered? No luck here.
    Maybe I need a data only SIM?

AZ Member #

Any way you could send me a picture with the settings entered? No luck here.
    Maybe I need a data only SIM?
    It really was just
    fp.com.attz
    user name and password from fp online account

I did experience that it reverted once back the Audi APN. But once I went through all settings including at some point entering the pin from myaudi it stuck.
    Also, did you doublecheck that your SIM is activated? Mine was already activated.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@Meadowdale: I haven't seen "Send to Car" in the Google Maps app, only from a browser (as you noted).

@pstonge: If your car is MY2013, the data modem in your MMI doesn't support newer 3G frequency bands for either AT&T and T-Mobile. That was the point of the MMI upgrades for Audi Connect subscribers around 2015/2016, as T-Mobile was upgrading their data infrastructure around that time & Audi Connect subscribers with MY2013 cars were losing 3G access. Even if you keep your US Mobile SIM, your access to 3G will be limited by available T-Mobile infrastructure.

AZ Member #

@DrGer Thanks. What you are saying is that my modem is 3G (explains the 3G reception in Boston) but I canít get 3G in my area due to T-Mobileís infrastructure in my area? I have been playing with a FreedomPop SIM but cannot even get it to work. I think FP works on the ATT network so I was hopeful they would have better 3G coverage.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@pstonge: Short answer is: Yes -- My understanding is that the earlier versions of MMI 3G+ (to MY2013) had a data modem that was compatible with the existing T-Mobile network at the time. If you have a VDCS cable, I would be curious to know what the HW part number is for address 5F (our MY2014 MMI is 8R1-035-746-D); my guess is part number -C or -B (and earlier) has the T-Mobile only data modem.

Anyway, you can confirm your data connection from the Telephone > Data Connection > Online Status Overview screen.
    Your US Mobile SIM (with the correct Connection Settings) will show Data Service: T-Mobile.
    With the FP SIM (Connection Settings: APN: fp.com.attz; User name: (blank); Password: (blank); Authentication: Normal), the Online Status Overview will show Data Service: AT&T
    It's possible that the FP SIM is connecting, it just can't do 3G because the data modem doesn't support the AT&T network frequencies (and newer T-Mobile frequencies in your area, too).

This old AZ thread has some good history about the problem with 3G data in your MY2013: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post11278075

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DrGER; 01-23-2019 at 09:55 AM.

AZ Member #

I have a question about the Google Earth overlay. In the Nav settings I can choose to look for alternative routes based on traffic. Does this actually work with cell connection? Or is this through Sirius? Related, is the graphical overlay on the map for traffic only possible through Sirrius?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowdale View Post
    I have a question about the Google Earth overlay. In the Nav settings I can choose to look for alternative routes based on traffic. Does this actually work with cell connection? Or is this through Sirius? Related, is the graphical overlay on the map for traffic only possible through Sirrius?
    Live traffic info for us in the US is supposed to come from an active SiriusXM NavTraffic subscription (though I see it occasionally when SiriusXM offers us a two-week teaser trial and live traffic info is on again for a while).

I found this related thread over at AudiWorld: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...irius-2941671/
    Note post #11, which suggests a traffic-only SiriusXM subscription is possible if you can talk to the right person.

Not sure what you mean by "the graphical overlay on the map"...

AZ Member #

Live traffic info for us in the US is supposed to come from an active SiriusXM NavTraffic subscription (though I see it occasionally when SiriusXM offers us a two-week teaser trial and live traffic info is on again for a while).

I found this related thread over at AudiWorld: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...irius-2941671/
    Note post #11, which suggests a traffic-only SiriusXM subscription is possible if you can talk to the right person.

Not sure what you mean by "the graphical overlay on the map"...
    So, this woudl be this Sirrius subscription:
    https://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing

However, how does the nav make traffic based rerouting decisions? Is the Sirrius data sufficient? Or is it a mix between Google and Sirrius?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowdale View Post
    So, this woudl be this Sirrius subscription:
    https://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing

However, how does the nav make traffic based rerouting decisions? Is the Sirrius data sufficient? Or is it a mix between Google and Sirrius?
    Yes, that's the service that triggers the TMC icon on the MMI display in the NA region (US/CA).
    The *only* value added by the Google Earth overlay is cosmetic -- it has nothing to do with actual navigation/routing.

We just started a (new) two month full SiriusXM trial subscription after getting some recall work done at our local dealer shop.
    I'm thinking that after this runs out, I'll follow up on an annual subscription of NavTraffic, only, for our MMI nav.