Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

A4 B6 1.8T Misfire issue. Help!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    In Korea, a small country in Asia, Im taking the A4 B6 1.8T.

Here are the symptoms and circumstances of the car.
    All cylinder misfire will occur immediately after start - white smoke will be present.
    The engine will start as if the ignition timing is out.
    But I did the timing work 3 years ago, and didn't ride 20,000 miles.
    All ignition coils and plugs were replaced 3 months ago and injectors were also replaced.

The misfire occurred after the coolant temperature sensor was replaced at the rear of the engine.
    It has been a coolant temperature sensor error for approximately two years (green), and the instrument cluster has been operating normally.
    However, the signal entering the ECU is intermittent.
    The coolant temperature, identified by the instrument cluster, appears to be operating normally.
    I changed the sensor twice, but it didn't get caught, and I changed it for the third time and started the engine, and that's when the misfire is started.

EGR valve and coolant hose at the rear of the engine also replaced same time.

Occasionally returning to normal, but the symptoms will repeat once again when the engine is switched off and turn on.

In AUDIS, I get the coolant temperature sensor error, all the cylinder misfire, and cam sensor error.
    My mechanic says the cam sensor doesn't seem to be the cause.

In addition, there were strange electrical problems, such as the sunroof opening and closing on its own, and the audio volume suddenly grew.

As I searched the forum, I saw some myfire-related articles mention the coolant temperature sensor.
    But I was writing because I couldn't find any details.

This car has not been sold a lot in our country, and there are so few riders that there is not much information.
    I love the car, and I want to ride it for a long time, but I can't find the cause of the problem.

Do you happen to know what caused the problem?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

White smoke is usually a sign of antifreeze in the combustion chamber. Do a compression test on all 4 cylinders to see if you have a bad head gasket.
    Larhal
    2002 A4 B6 1.8T

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thank you for your feedback. The compression test for all cylinders was completed and there was no problem.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It could be the oil cooler, when this splits it allows oil and coolant to mix.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

get the engine up to operating temp.Pull the plugs and pressurize cooling system.Look in with a borescope camera.Should see coolant leaking into cylinder/s.Check to see if any of the cylinder tops are cleaner than others.The clean ones are usually the issue.Either way sounds like a head gaskets to me.Only other thing thats a possiblity is frayed wiring for injectors or coils.Wrong plugs or a bad pcv valve.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.