Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: 2.0 l oil leak

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2.0 l oil leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was wondering if there is common oil leak on these motors. I just replaced the valve cover gasket. Looking to be coming from below that on the passage side back corner.

Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 xB, 13 Ex, 16 Civic EX

most likely the gasket on your cam chain housing....did mine at 185k miles.
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Redstuff Front & Akebono Rear | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Recaro's | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Back on that side itís the cam chain cover gasket or the vacuum pump seals.

If itís lower down on the drivers side itís the oil cooler or oil filter housing gasket.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant)
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I am not sure how to post pictures on here yet. But There was oil all over the passenger side of the transmission and the axle cover. But it did look like it all came from the top side

Senior Member Four Rings Dondbg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB w203

Quote Originally Posted by cody_harris View Post
    I am not sure how to post pictures on here yet. But There was oil all over the passenger side of the transmission and the axle cover. But it did look like it all came from the top side
    Vacuum pump gasket or cam chain gasket

Best approach is to clean the area with warm soapy water and you will be able to see the source.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

vacuum pump I would say for sure . I found the timing cover pretty rock steady unles it has been off before . But if I were going in there I would just do both and check cam follower and tensioner at the same time.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 xB, 13 Ex, 16 Civic EX

Both will give you trouble eventually....like everyone is saying deal with them at the same time and be worry free. If it were me...

- rebuild vacuum pump with one of those seal kits charles posted pics of. Something like $20 and you're good.
    - gasket on cam chain cover.. $10
    - coolant flange - it'll be sitting right there taunting you.....its $20 and normally a pain to get at

knock on wood....but my cam tensioner and associated bits and pieces are hanging in there. If you have any issues in that area you might want to consider taking care of them...maybe the rings on the rings on the cam adjuster?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...et/06f198107a/
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Redstuff Front & Akebono Rear | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Recaro's | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint