Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Picked up my RS7! Few questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I flew down and picked up my 2014 RS7 today. Drove it back 5-6 hour and loved the ability to just "relax" and then quick switch to all out power! I had a few questions

1. I found out the car has a Milltek non-resonated exhaust. I don't mind it at all, but I'm worried about my neighbors when doing a cold start up. Is there a way to start up the car in comfort mode or to have the valves closed when it starts? I tried setting the car in comfort mode before hitting the actual start button, but it still seemed very loud as if the valves were open.

2. I found out the car also has a Stage 1 APR tune. When driving back, I mostly used cruise control and was sitting around 80-85. Is there a cylinder deactivation symbol that shows up on the dash if it is engaged or how do I know if it cut down to 4 cylinders?
    Current Cars:
    2014 RS7: APR Stage 1, Milltek Non-Resonated Exhaust
    Past Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    2007 911 Turbo: Exhaust/Tune
    1997 Viper: Hennessey 500 Package - 440rwhp/460rwtq
    2000 Miata:
    1990 Miata: T28 Turbo
    1994 RX7: A-Spec 500R Single Turbo
    2000 S4: Stage 3

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HardHitter View Post
    I flew down and picked up my 2014 RS7 today. Drove it back 5-6 hour and loved the ability to just "relax" and then quick switch to all out power! I had a few questions

1. I found out the car has a Milltek non-resonated exhaust. I don't mind it at all, but I'm worried about my neighbors when doing a cold start up. Is there a way to start up the car in comfort mode or to have the valves closed when it starts? I tried setting the car in comfort mode before hitting the actual start button, but it still seemed very loud as if the valves were open.

2. I found out the car also has a Stage 1 APR tune. When driving back, I mostly used cruise control and was sitting around 80-85. Is there a cylinder deactivation symbol that shows up on the dash if it is engaged or how do I know if it cut down to 4 cylinders?
    1. I dont think so. No matter what options I've tried, cold start is always with baffles open.

2. I would find local apr dealer and bring a car to them so they can exactly tell you what tune you have and if you got all 4 loaded (93, 100, stock and valet). There is no sign on the dash that tells you when your 4 cylinders deactivated, you can sort of feel it I guess. If you concern about mpg, I would just switch to stock tune, it takes 20 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings Kodachrome's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In regards to cylinder deactivation you can see it in the center readout between the gauges when showing fuel economy. On the left side and 9 O’ clock position of the steering wheel there are two arrow keys, a scroll wheel which is also a button and to the right of that the menu button for displaying such things as speed, lap timer, etc. You want to go to the top of the menu to what I believe is “onboard computer”. Once highlighted press the scroll wheel in to select it. It will show you what you have averaged in fuel economy since resetting the trip odometer and also be either a white bar indicator signifying all cylinders in use or green for partial deactivation.

I like the info the graph gives for managing fuel economy but I am mixed on Cylinder deactivation since it is abrupt and can reportedly add wear to the motor mounts.

Explore what all those options for readouts are in between the gauges, I use lap timer for boost readings and oil temp for warm up and cool down info.
    2015 Audi RS7, Prism Silver.
    2012 Audi A4 Prestige, Brilliant Black, APR Stage-1, sold
    2005 Toyota Tacoma 4WD, stage-3, 407HP

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Dont worry about the noise (it sounds awesome). Also I leave mine in auto and it starts in auto although that still may mean it starts wide open?

You can actually feel the cylinder shut down when cruising on the highway (feels like a slight bump or a slight upshift)
    2017 Audi RS7 Glacier White w/ Black Optics
    2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive Amethyst

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by db12 View Post
    Dont worry about the noise (it sounds awesome). Also I leave mine in auto and it starts in auto although that still may mean it starts wide open?

You can actually feel the cylinder shut down when cruising on the highway (feels like a slight bump or a slight upshift)
    Ok, that's what I thought was happening. Exactly how you explained it, you will be cruising and then you feel a bump/shift.

I was quite amazed with how long I could go. My trip was around 375 miles from dealership to my house and I was wondering if I could make it all the way home without stopping. I didn't want to risk it, so I ended up filling up when the monitored showed around a half tank left. Filled up I believe 11 or 12 gallons and was on my way.

Now that I'm home, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting that kind of range now that I know the roads and will be opening her up haha.
    Current Cars:
    2014 RS7: APR Stage 1, Milltek Non-Resonated Exhaust
    Past Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    2007 911 Turbo: Exhaust/Tune
    1997 Viper: Hennessey 500 Package - 440rwhp/460rwtq
    2000 Miata:
    1990 Miata: T28 Turbo
    1994 RX7: A-Spec 500R Single Turbo
    2000 S4: Stage 3

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I get roughly 425 - 450 miles per tank on average. That obviously depends on how much city vs highway miles etc.
    2017 Audi RS7 Glacier White w/ Black Optics
    2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive Amethyst

Established Member Three Rings RSLRS71's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18' SQ5 and WK2 SRT8 Jeep

actually, i am pretty sure the fuel efficiency gauge turns solid green to indicate 4 cylinder....and it does have a noticeable tone.
    2017 RSL RS7 (1 of 3 stateside)
    Mods:
    Current: APR Stage II w/ HF DPs and KW H.A.S kit , Rotiform 3 piece SPF 21x10.5 wheels, Tag Motorsports Side marker delete and Badge blackout, ...
    Next: looking to be the quickest RS7! ;)