Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Advice for a few things

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys!
    So I just bought a 2001 Audi A4, it has some things wrong with it but I got it for $600 so I'm not complaining.

First off, the last owner (who I'm close friends with) said the caliper piston was warped and now won't compress correctly (which is obvious when you drive it), so I'm wondering did that mess up the caliper?

2nd off, I want too treat this car like a baby, I work at Napa so i have a wide variety of oil and filter brands, I have a man filter and I was thinking 10w-40 since what I've read the b5 does alittle better on oil consumption. What would everyone recommend brand and weight?

3rd off, the timing tensioner is going bad, would it just be smart too change the timing belt, water pump, and the tensioner and call it day?

4th off, the BCM is bad, according too him. The windows won't roll down and the doors won't lock. If I just get a used replacement will that just fix my issue?

4th off, the ignition housing needs too be replaced, the actual ignition won't turn the car on, a small piece inside it about the side of the tip of my shoe laces broke off and you have too place it in and turn it with a pair of pliers, is that actually what needs too be fixed or is it something else? (I can upload pictures when I get home from work)

5th off and finally, he personally tuned the car for more boost out of the k03 turbo he has, about 20-30psi. He has threw in a t4 turbo that has everything too install including a bigger intercooler (which the piping he did is absolutely garbage so I would have someone professionally fix the piping) if I ran it at low boost such as maybe 15psi, would it be dangerous too daily drive it?

Sorry I just have alot of questions and I want Audi owners too answer it, not my friends or family who only like Nissan's and big v8s.

Veteran Member Four Rings GrapeBandit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i like your style, 2 4th offs and no 6th lol honestly, your friend(?) ripped you off. car is worth scrap price with all those issues. my advice, part it out.
    r.i.p.CASABLANCA B5 1.8t
    r.i.p.BRILLIANT YELLOW B5 30V

PCV? Just dump it on the ground!

AZ Member #

Nah I know it's a piece of absolute shit. I knew that from day 1. But I want too learn, I'm 19 and know alot about cars but have about as much knowledge about Workin on them as a normal person. It drives decently honestly and it's not in the worst condition, even with his shitty intercooler piping and the other issues.
    It's dumb too even say that I'm willing too put money into a car like that but, it's a piece of shit, but now it's my piece of shit

Established Member Three Rings Blazius's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Brake piston couldve been warped from it getting stuck , which if that is what happend, I'd recommend changing caliper and carrier, the rotor and wheel bearing. The recommended oil for 1.8t is 5W30 in Europe atleast, max 5W40 Motul, Mobil1 , Amsoil for USA are all good.

3rd- timing chain tensioner or timing belt tensioner is going bad ?
    4th - dunno about that one, probably replacing is good enough, but you might have to tinker with some stuff.
    5th- if the ignition is broken, you gotta replace it ,but you might have to recode the ecu if you got immo and stuff.
    6th - KO3 cant run 30 psi..(well it can technically...) but the max recommended for kO3 is 18 Psi afaik. above that its just a hairdryer. What is wrong with the T4 turbo piping ?
    2000 B5 A4 Avant FWD Manual - S Line - Sport package

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head | Planning t3/t4 turbo conversion soonTM - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #

1. You said the wheel bearing also? Damn that's about too be fun lmfao
    2. Chain tensioner sorry
    4. It's not completely broke it's hard too describe because of my lack of knowledge on that.
    5. I'm sorry its peak is at 21psi, I just called my buddy and he said that it peaks at 21.
    And it's not the t4 piping, the intercooler piping came from a b6 motor and it's custom fabricated, it works but the system just needs a couple T clamps too allow it too NOT leak boost every time you run it up. But what he just told me is basically if Install the t4 bye bye transmission (because it's sadly automatic) so I'm just gonna have it retuned too a stage 1 instead of a stage 2.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

On the timing chain tensioner - I would say do everything whilst you’ve got the front off. Not too hard to do but quite a bit of money in parts. If you can afford them all in one go then it makes sense to do it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Yes. if the piston got stuck that much that it got warped chances are the wheel bearing are gone .. trust me I know.. parking brake cable got stuck.. drove 15km like that.. once i got home all I noticed that my wheel was almost on fire.. all the grease got out and burned, still got it like that but its not safe.

Timing chain tensioner is kind of a bitch to replace but its doable, you will have to take out the intake cam /and the exhaust or loosen it up enough. read bout it DIY. I recommend taking frontend off for easier access , also you should do belts/timing belt tensioner, waterpump and thermo aswell.

T4 turbo wont blow your tranny up , unless you are pushing too much but on med 15 Psi boost, I dont think it will, it will come later than a ko3 and in much smoother fashion , Small turbos peak very hard.

N/A ARG bottom end, AEB Head | Planning t3/t4 turbo conversion soonTM - https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rbo-Conversion

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Blazius View Post
    Yes. if the piston got stuck that much that it got warped chances are the wheel bearing are gone .. trust me I know.. parking brake cable got stuck.. drove 15km like that.. once i got home all I noticed that my wheel was almost on fire.. all the grease got out and burned, still got it like that but its not safe.

Timing chain tensioner is kind of a bitch to replace but its doable, you will have to take out the intake cam /and the exhaust or loosen it up enough. read bout it DIY. I recommend taking frontend off for easier access , also you should do belts/timing belt tensioner, waterpump and thermo aswell.

T4 turbo wont blow your tranny up , unless you are pushing too much but on med 15 Psi boost, I dont think it will, it will come later than a ko3 and in much smoother fashion , Small turbos peak very hard.
    well the t4 kinda scares me, Because I feel like it's too much. But I'm going too Manuel swap it with my dad, truly and honestly me and him have been American muscle all of our lives, and he thinks this Audi is the biggest waste of money (which he's not wrong) but he seems excited I'm trying too learn.
    So all this is new too me.
    I still don't understand the dual timing stuff, the chain and the belt. It's odd. But here's a life lesson for the both of us!

I'm definitely gonna replace the hubs then, I might as well if I'm replacing the whole brake system basically anyway.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zachglasser View Post
    well the t4 kinda scares me, Because I feel like it's too much. But I'm going too Manuel swap it with my dad, truly and honestly me and him have been American muscle all of our lives, and he thinks this Audi is the biggest waste of money (which he's not wrong) but he seems excited I'm trying too learn.
    So all this is new too me.
    I still don't understand the dual timing stuff, the chain and the belt. It's odd. But here's a life lesson for the both of us!

I'm definitely gonna replace the hubs then, I might as well if I'm replacing the whole brake system basically anyway.
    The system basically works like this.. The crank is connected to the exhaust cam by timing belt, and they are synced together. The chain with the tensioner operates the intake cam , which leads to the cam pos sensor. VVT tensioners can adjust the timing on the intake.

I'm fairly sure that auto tranny should handle around 300 whp specially if its FWD. B5's can break yes, but the parts are not expensive since its VAG group car. there are certainly way more expensive cars to maintain than a B5. But if you do maintain it , imo the potential of what you can do with it is quite amazing.

AZ Member #

The system basically works like this.. The crank is connected to the exhaust cam by timing belt, and they are synced together. The chain with the tensioner operates the intake cam , which leads to the cam pos sensor. VVT tensioners can adjust the timing on the intake.

I'm fairly sure that auto tranny should handle around 300 whp specially if its FWD. B5's can break yes, but the parts are not expensive since its VAG group car. there are certainly way more expensive cars to maintain than a B5. But if you do maintain it , imo the potential of what you can do with it is quite amazing.
    It's a AWD and the torque is what I'm worried about. Not so much the HP.

And it makes alot more sense now, I appreciate that!

AZ Member #

Ahh if its AWD and auto , now that might not be able to handle it.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zachglasser View Post
    Hey guys!
    So I just bought a 2001 Audi A4, it has some things wrong with it but I got it for $600 so I'm not complaining.

First off, the last owner (who I'm close friends with) said the caliper piston was warped and now won't compress correctly (which is obvious when you drive it), so I'm wondering did that mess up the caliper?

2nd off, I want too treat this car like a baby, I work at Napa so i have a wide variety of oil and filter brands, I have a man filter and I was thinking 10w-40 since what I've read the b5 does alittle better on oil consumption. What would everyone recommend brand and weight?

3rd off, the timing tensioner is going bad, would it just be smart too change the timing belt, water pump, and the tensioner and call it day?

4th off, the BCM is bad, according too him. The windows won't roll down and the doors won't lock. If I just get a used replacement will that just fix my issue?

4th off, the ignition housing needs too be replaced, the actual ignition won't turn the car on, a small piece inside it about the side of the tip of my shoe laces broke off and you have too place it in and turn it with a pair of pliers, is that actually what needs too be fixed or is it something else? (I can upload pictures when I get home from work)

5th off and finally, he personally tuned the car for more boost out of the k03 turbo he has, about 20-30psi. He has threw in a t4 turbo that has everything too install including a bigger intercooler (which the piping he did is absolutely garbage so I would have someone professionally fix the piping) if I ran it at low boost such as maybe 15psi, would it be dangerous too daily drive it?

Sorry I just have alot of questions and I want Audi owners too answer it, not my friends or family who only like Nissan's and big v8s.
    Walk away.

And because I found it funny (you know, for the kiddos)

Last edited by Fasterd; 12-10-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

well if your not giving up i have front calipers and carriers for you. also ecs had the bearings on sale for under 40 bucks unless they are cheaper at napa

AZ Member #

Ahh if its AWD and auto , now that might not be able to handle it.
    Yeah I'm just gonna keep it, eventually put it on and do the swap. My buddy could probably do the time for me on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zksb5a4 View Post
    well if your not giving up i have front calipers and carriers for you. also ecs had the bearings on sale for under 40 bucks unless they are cheaper at napa
    It's not, but I already order all the shit so if I don't buy it my manager will kill me. Might as well just stick too it