Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Three Rings vpls4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

DL501 transmission upgrades / Issues decision

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Opening new thread as to not cloud up 1/4 mile thread.

Previously posted there:

Looks like LC @ 4K is out the window, It was bucking so bad on the 1st launch that i actually thought the guy in the next lane drifted over and ran into the back of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Was your bucking like this? https://youtu.be/Rtini4kfbus

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yep, exactly like the 2nd launch at 17 secs. It skipped, bounced, shuddered, whatever you want to call it about 3 times. I didn't think about it at the time but it was very jarring, can't be good for the gears and whatnot.

"Apparently this is happening to people with wheel spin on both LC & Mash n Go" when it attempts to shift into 2nd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
    Yes that was it. That Cha-ching comment is an eye opener. If it happens I guess it'd be a good time for that SSP 700 or 800ft plate upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    No , this is two problems could be first is torque limit in your TCU/ECU and second is your Tranny pump sucked air at heavy load. Good tune and overfill catch can should take care of ! btw my car makes close to 600whp/520wtq no problems so far
    Can u give us more detail on the overfill catch can? Any way to bleed the air out ? If that possible ?
    '15 S4 - Monsoon | GIAC DP 183-fluidampr / 57-awe & DSG tune | Autotech HPFP, GIAC LPFP | CTS Intake | AMS Alpha Cooler
    EuroCode Sways, Links, Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | ECS 2pc D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff | HRE FF01, PS4S | Bilstein PSS10's | AWE Touring /Res DPs
    11.651 @ 116.49 | 3.23 0-60

AZ Member #

from Oleg

Basically you're adding an additional 2 liters of ATF fluid over the normal level in transmission. Catch can needed because oil will spill out from the transmission vent because it's over filled. Very easy installation just remove transmission plastic vent on the top of transfer case. Install and secure oil hose with catch can, fill ATF fluid through the hose you will be installing!

Last edited by vpls4; 12-09-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings UkuRiSh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had the same problem every time when I using launch control but that was related to TCU/ECU tune issue, my tuner did couple revision on TCU/ECU and problem is gone at most time but it's still happens couple time after tune revision. So I thought this is hardware limit after many hours of research online I came up that Audi S6/S7 same tranny with might be two extra clutches in the clutch pack and those cars on stage 3 holds 600-700WTQ then I told my self must be something else there is no way we hit the limit of our clutches . Then I found GT-R forums that they have a problems with slipped clutch on heavy acceleration that was related to transmission oil pump sucked air and they came up with overfill catch can.. I installed my over fill catch can couple months ago and after that never had issue. My installation was easy because I removed secondary fire wall in the middle and my CS was out too that would give you lots of room to install hose. as you now my car makes a lots more torque and I never had issue with dropped gear after installation of overfill catch can. Good luck

You will need
    Cheap catch can in Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Transmission hose https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=UTF8&psc=1Tra
    Transmission oil 2 litter over the original oil level

2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

AZ Member #

This is the unit pictured above

Ruien Universal 400ml Oil Catch Can Tank with Breather Aluminum Compact Dual Cylinder Polish Baffled Engine Air Oil Separator Tank Reservoir Kit Black+Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCRHYG..._GdkdCbCF2105M
    '15 S4 - Monsoon | GIAC DP 183-fluidampr / 57-awe & DSG tune | Autotech HPFP, GIAC LPFP | CTS Intake | AMS Alpha Cooler
    EuroCode Sways, Links, Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | ECS 2pc D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff | HRE FF01, PS4S | Bilstein PSS10's | AWE Touring /Res DPs

AZ Member #

I know a lot of questions/concerns...but why string them out right?

Oleg what measurement does the torque limiter use ft lb or nm ?
    Are you able to share what yours is set at, since you obviously aren't having these issues

Does J-Fonz sell tunes nationwide or is it just local to NY

This could be another deal breaker for me if a tuning company isn't willing to update this asap.
    I'd like to find out what GIAC, EPL, 034 etc use for a torque limit. Possibly another reason to jump ship.

currently have the GIAC TCU tune. I believe I had my shop check in Aug, they said it was latest file then.

What's the downside of raising it too much...I imagine that's where the SSP 800 lb Upgrade comes into play yes?

Starting to look into the DSG Cooling Discussion, seems kina related.

I'm more in to preventive maintenance then waiting for a catastrophic event to make changes definitely caught my attention.

AZ Member #

Here is my ATF aftermarket cooler installed, The reason I did after market cooler is leaking ATF on OEM radiator, I guess there is very small micro crack and to fix that I have to buy whole new engine radiator. as you know ATF cools off by
    engine coolant true the oem radiator and temperature of antifreeze around 87-98c that means your ATF temp never drop below 80c and at the summer time you will have over 100c + on ATF temp. The temp limit/limp mode is 120c only because of all this problems I did after market cooler! I installed 3 different coolers and two of them leaked after 2 weeks because of all extra pressure was made by TCU tune. This is third black one on my car already for 6+ months you have to secure cooler very well to avoid any free movement, I didn't do properly from the beginning but I did my 3rd cooler correctly. In this picture is my old cooler " silver one" the best cooler location would be up front on the top of AC radiator at the summer time we using A/C and when fans kicks in all this air draft will help you to cool of ATF ;) at the summer time my ATF Temperature never pass 78c . In the picture red line where I cut ATF lines and connect to 8AN hose make sure 8an is for transmission high temp/pressure then run hose to my cooler that's it.

You will need :

High pressure cooler that what I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Row-8AN-...frcectupt=true
    Two 5/8" brass hose fitting I bought brass in Home Depot and 8 good quality clamps
    High pressure and temp 8an hose for transmission
    Some 8an fittings

Last edited by UkuRiSh; 12-25-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Found this in the Life Beyond Stage II thread. I have the 034 transmission mount insert and also their rear subframe inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    Curious about you guys who have gear craziness at launch where it shoot to redline or bangs hard.

I just installed a transmission mount insert. Now it may be a coincidence because I have a car right now that came with all seasons and I went out on wet pavement and did a launch and instead of letting up on the throttle the tires just completely spun like they were on ice through first gear banging really hard into second. Ive never experienced that before.

My curiosity is that maybe this happened because I have such extremely shitty traction but maybe it happened because for the first time ever I have a trans mount insert in the car and perhaps it stops the trans from moving freely a tiny bit enough to shock or g-load the fluid back instead of allowing more movement that prevents this???

Just a random thought so i thought id ask if everyone has a trans mount when they had this happen and did they ever have it happen when they didnt have the trans mount insert?

Mike
    Quote from Loe below. I'm not sure how to link multiple quotes in one post.

this theory would align with what GT-R's experience, the fluid doesn't move enough during high-g launches, Oleg discovered this during research, and I never attributed it to that tranny insert, but that would make sense. My issue hasn't occured recently, but my engine mounts are about to go (again), so the extra rocking of the powertrain is likely contributing to not having the same gear-drop like I did last year where everything was tight in my powertrain, so maybe my fluids are flowing freely now?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

https://www.facebook.com/theVWgarage...type=3&theater

Picture of my car with transmission completely out waiting patiently for SSP clutches to arrive Thursday.
    2015 Audi S4 APR Ultra charger with Dual Pulley 3.18 ratio, APR DSG tune, AWE touring exhaust with resonated down pipes, ECS intake, AWE Coldfront, H&R sway bars

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by scls4 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/theVWgarage...type=3&theater

Picture of my car with transmission completely out waiting patiently for SSP clutches to arrive Thursday.
    Interesting! what happened with the oem clutch pack ?

AZ Member #

btw SSP is rated to 800 Ft/lbs Torque Clutch Packagen of 13 plate ! I have another source for Clutch Coupling DCT Stage 3 HD. 38 discs! 18 frictions (9 + 9) and 20 steel discs rated over 1100Nm.. This is most powerful clutch kit in the market by Dima Deka

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Does anyone know what measuring blocks we could find transmission input speed, output speed, etc? I want to capture this happening in a log.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Does anyone know what measuring blocks we could find transmission input speed, output speed, etc? I want to capture this happening in a log.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thank you, didn't think it would be right there in auto trans... Right in front of me haha.

Wonder why there isn't a turbo button. That might make things difficult.

AZ Member #

Interesting! what happened with the oem clutch pack ?
    burnt up clutch 2.....SSP machined the new packs monday to be in spec with my OEM basket, re-assembled and shipped so they are en-route. Garage will be re-assembling next Monday. Maybe this weekend......getting anxious. Replacing Cats with RedStar Test pipes while its apart too....now looking into options for cats under car.....currently have AWE touring with their resonated down-pipes.
    2015 Audi S4 APR Ultra charger with Dual Pulley 3.18 ratio, APR DSG tune, AWE touring exhaust with resonated down pipes, ECS intake, AWE Coldfront, H&R sway bars

AZ Member #

burnt up clutch 2.....SSP machined the new packs monday to be in spec with my OEM basket, re-assembled and shipped so they are en-route. Garage will be re-assembling next Monday. Maybe this weekend......getting anxious. Replacing Cats with RedStar Test pipes while its apart too....now looking into options for cats under car.....currently have AWE touring with their resonated down-pipes.
    Good to hear, you will be the first official DL501 with aftermarket clutches ;) I'm gonna do my very soon too but I'm going with Dima Deka .... Looking for result and feedback from you buddy! Good luck....

AZ Member #

Good to hear, you will be the first official DL501 with aftermarket clutches ;) I'm gonna do my very soon too but I'm going with Dima Deka .... Looking for result and feedback from you buddy! Good luck....
    Theres a few people on here that have upgraded to the SSP plates....but not alot of info on the results.

AZ Member #

Veteran Member Four Rings cspcrx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Tacoma, 2007 Harley Softail, 1986 Honda CRX

I get a odd shift that I cannot recreate and it does not happen often enough to capture.

Basically I will be driving normal on a street or frontage road and I am guess this car is in 3rd or 4th doing about 45mph. I floor it and the car down shifts but during the upshift I bangs into the next gear. Like it hung up or didn't grab right. Like I said it happens so rarely I have not been able to watch the tach.

Anyone else every had this?
    2012 Ibis P+ / DSG / Silk Napa / B&O / Sport Diff. / ADS lite / MMI & Nav / APR Stage 2+ & TCU Tuned / Ultra Charger / 184mm KI LIL BITCH / ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake / AMS Alpha Cooler / ECS 2-Piece Rotors / Akebono Pads / VMR 803 19x9.5 ET45 265-35-19 PSS / ECS Drivetrain Bushing Inserts / CR-15

12.3 @ 112mph 2288DA on 93oct file Stage 2

THEN THEN THEN Rinse & Repeat!

AZ Member #

Theres a few people on here that have upgraded to the SSP plates....but not alot of info on the results.
    Not many people makes good amount of the torque to find stock clutch limits! all failure happens because of the poor tcu tune or owner mistakes or over heat ATF. With the perfect tune OEM clutch can support good amount of power.

AZ Member #

Good find never see that before , you don't need special tune for those clutch kit! Should be drop in and no break in time either. Manual Transmission different story

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cspcrx View Post
    I get a odd shift that I cannot recreate and it does not happen often enough to capture.

Basically I will be driving normal on a street or frontage road and I am guess this car is in 3rd or 4th doing about 45mph. I floor it and the car down shifts but during the upshift I bangs into the next gear. Like it hung up or didn't grab right. Like I said it happens so rarely I have not been able to watch the tach.

Anyone else every had this?
    I think I had that in my 2011 S4 ! I sold it

AZ Member #

Replacing Cats with RedStar Test pipes while its apart too....now looking into options for cats under car.....currently have AWE touring with their resonated down-pipes.
    Interested in what you come up with. I have same exhaust, will most likely also be getting the RedStar test pipes for when cats go. Was looking at jhm solution but I don't want to lose rez dp's especially with having test pipes. My cars pretty loud already when I'm on it, and that's usually the way I drive :) When at a steady speed, which isn't often in the city, is about the only time it's not loud.

AZ Member #

You will need
    What is the absolute best Transmission Hose I could buy for this project? Silicone, Rubber, etc?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it wouldn't be a sealed unit anymore. We would be adding a huge possible point of failure in that if the hose broke it could be catastrophic yes?
    Last edited by vpls4; 12-15-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vpls4 View Post
    What is the absolute best Transmission Hose I could buy for this project?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it wouldn't be a sealed unit anymore. We would be adding a huge possible point of failure in that if the hose broke it could be catastrophic yes?
    Its not technically completely sealed. What he tapped into was a vent not a plug.

2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Hx, 74mm TB
    11.23 at 121.86mph - draggy - 97 octane - +219DA

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    --------------------------Gone------------------------
    2013 S5 -- 2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Established Member Three Rings PeteRock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had the same problem every time when I using launch control but that was related to TCU/ECU tune issue, my tuner did couple revision on TCU/ECU and problem is gone at most time but it's still happens couple time after tune revision. So I thought this is hardware limit after many hours of research online I came up that Audi S6/S7 same tranny with might be two extra clutches in the clutch pack and those cars on stage 3 holds 600-700WTQ then I told my self must be something else there is no way we hit the limit of our clutches . Then I found GT-R forums that they have a problems with slipped clutch on heavy acceleration that was related to transmission oil pump sucked air and they came up with overfill catch can.. I installed my over fill catch can couple months ago and after that never had issue. My installation was easy because I removed secondary fire wall in the middle and my CS was out too that would give you lots of room to install hose. as you now my car makes a lots more torque and I never had issue with dropped gear after installation of overfill catch can. Good luck

You will need

Looks awesome Oleg!

I donít have room under my rain tray for the catch can so I will have to find somewhere else to mount it....

Pete

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
    Looks awesome Oleg!

I donít have room under my rain tray for the catch can so I will have to find somewhere else to mount it....

Pete

Yes itís very tight where I did ! I have no choose because the turbo ! For you guys you have planty room around fire wall in the middle.

AZ Member #

Yes itís very tight where I did ! I have no choose because the turbo ! For you guys you have planty room around fire wall in the middle.
    Thatís a good problem to have Oleg!

Iím sure I can find a spot somewhere

Do you have the hose to the vent secured well? Itís hard to tell in the pic but it didnít look like it was

Pete

AZ Member #

Thatís a good problem to have Oleg!

Iím sure I can find a spot somewhere

Do you have the hose to the vent secured well? Itís hard to tell in the pic but it didnít look like it was

Pete
    Yes I used clamps! I checked couple days ago itís all good after many hard passes and no oil in catch can yet ;)

AZ Member #

Yes I used clamps! I checked couple days ago itís all good after many hard passes and no oil in catch can yet ;)
    Ok great! I know youíre in NY so is this catch can the same as the oil catch cans that have to be removed during the winter?

Pete

AZ Member #

Ok great! I know youíre in NY so is this catch can the same as the oil catch cans that have to be removed during the winter?

Pete
    Never removed Engine oil catch can. I'm draining every week or so. TCU doesn't have condensate and my cars always in garage.

AZ Member #

Here is another Catch can it's little better if you don't have lots of space and easy to mount

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HH97RFR...detail_0?psc=1

AZ Member #

Never removed Engine oil catch can. I'm draining every week or so. TCU doesn't have condensate and my cars always in garage.
    Oh wow....interesting.....I havenít picked up an oil catch can because I live in Chicago and didnít feel like removing it for the winter and reinstalling it for the spring/summer and thereís been debate on whether or not they are absolutely necessary on the 3.0T engines

Pete

AZ Member #

Oh wow....interesting.....I havenít picked up an oil catch can because I live in Chicago and didnít feel like removing it for the winter and reinstalling it for the spring/summer and thereís been debate on whether or not they are absolutely necessary on the 3.0T engines

Pete

I never heard of it that people is removing catch can for winter time ! only one think is coming to my head is, because of condensate in the catch can ? otherwise what is the reason to remove catch can

AZ Member #

I never heard of it that people is removing catch can for winter time ! only one think is coming to my head is, because of condensate in the catch can ? otherwise what is the reason to remove catch can
    Iíve read it here on AZ and itís in the install guide for the ECS Kit.....

Old thread but hereís one....

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-2-0TFSI-gurus!

IMG_1005.JPG

Pete

AZ Member #

should have the car back by the end of the day with the new SSP clutch packs installed.......anxious and curious is an understatement.....will check in with the results.

AZ Member #

should have the car back by the end of the day with the new SSP clutch packs installed.......anxious and curious is an understatement.....will check in with the results.
    awesome man ... the good think about DSG you donít have to brake in the clutches 😝

AZ Member #

I apologize if I missed this but do you mind saying how much the labor is costing you in hours or dollars? I'm interested how this works out too. best of luck

Mike

2013 S5 -- 2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Senior Member Three Rings Rodizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I apologize if I missed this but do you mind saying how much the labor is costing you in hours or dollars? I'm interested how this works out too. best of luck

Mike
    Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 S4 IE E40 Stage 2+ & TCU 11.32@119.98

AZ Member #

Update on the new clutch packs........been getting hung up in the basic settings process. I get to the 3rd step and it aborts due to safety reasons......it made it about halfway thru it once with all the clunking noises as it went thru the motions. Getting a fault: 18011 Gear selector 2 - P187B 00 [237] Engagement not succesful. Worth noting I drove the car home gently last night and it was felt great and now after the basic setting snafu it wont even go into 1,3,5,7 at the moment so I'm about to make a drink.

AZ Member #

Update on the new clutch packs........been getting hung up in the basic settings process. I get to the 3rd step and it aborts due to safety reasons......it made it about halfway thru it once with all the clunking noises as it went thru the motions. Getting a fault: 18011 Gear selector 2 - P187B 00 [237] Engagement not succesful. Worth noting I drove the car home gently last night and it was felt great and now after the basic setting snafu it wont even go into 1,3,5,7 at the moment so I'm about to make a drink.
    You are in our thoughts :(

AZ Member #

You are in our thoughts :(
    I am hoping my battery is the issue.....car sat in the cold for about 3 weeks and the battery was close to dead and I am getting TPMS light every time it aborts the process. So I'm taking a time out while my battery gets fully charged.......I also have 1st gear back now lol. Did I mention the test pipes are loud lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast