Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
    Yooo ... I see your in the Bay Area :) . Can u help me , ima fatass my hands probably donít fit .. really really ? Is it that eazy ? Iím order that can then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very easy cap to get off
    lol, i got fat hands too. Trust me, you'll be fine. My recommendation is to grab it from under the 2 hard lines. It pops off without too much effort. Not tight in there at all.
    Oh and when you refill, dont use the funnel, itll take forever since theres no vent in the system. I stuck my fluid transfer pump(under 10 dollars at autoparts store)and pumped it into the line from up above. I have the catch cat in the firewall area and drilled a hole through the black liner.
    Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings Rodizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks everyone on here . I was just looking at the wrong place and the cap was covered by the hardpipes. Regardless I found it and I thought it was gonna be hard to take it off ... wow that shit is lose . I order my hose and can .

2014 S4 IE E40 Stage 2+ & TCU 11.32@119.98

Active Member Two Rings hjaaamjb6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    If this mode not help, then you know 100% drop gear is related to the TCU tune ! Even if this mode is not helps is good to have it, because pressure transmission is makes at hard accelerations.
    Yes, I am happy I did it regardless! I will add the 2nd liter and see. I have an another TCU tune i can try anyways
    2013 B8.5 S4 - Performance Mods: IE E40 ECU & TCU / 3.28PR / Matty Ported Blower / IABED 75mm TB / Autotech HPFP / AWE Coldfront / AWE Track Catback / Modified Stock Airbox / ECA & Analog boost sensor via P3 / BKR9EIX / Stock Coolant Pump Mod / ECS Inserts / CR15 / Drag Radials / Airlift 3P

Awaiting install: Test Pipes, W/M, Rotora BBK

dragy: 1/4 mile 11.56 @ 122mph (No LC, No traction, 235 tires)

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks @ukurish for the idea. Ive been fortunate to not have any weird trans behavior but with the new tires and better times this is hopefully good prevention.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Hx, 74mm TB
    11.23 at 121.86mph - draggy - 97 octane - +219DA

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    --------------------------Gone------------------------
    2013 S5 -- 2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #

Good stuff mike :) I go my hose in today too

AZ Member #

Good stuff mike :) I go my hose in today too

Woohoo. Its finally getting cooler here. Hopefully i can get out there tomorrow. Enjoy the install. I will embarrassingly admit i spentvan hour trying to find the vent cap on the passenger side of car near the two hard lines even going from underneath until i easily spotted it from up top on the driver side lol. Grrrrr

2013 S5 -- 2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings UkuRiSh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    Thanks @ukurish for the idea. Ive been fortunate to not have any weird trans behavior but with the new tires and better times this is hopefully good prevention.

I hope it will solve your problems guys, btw itís not necessary instal bridig hose on the top of the catch can you can do as outlet on the side. That way filter cover should clear. Waiting for results!
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

Established Member Three Rings vpls4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

trying to find the vent cap on the passenger side of car near the two hard lines even going from underneath until i easily spotted it from up top on the driver side lol. Grrrrr
    Lol, I was telling Rodizzle how to see it in post #74 of this thread.

A couple questions

What did you plug the outlet with, did it come with something to plug it?

And did you change out all the fluid or just add to what you had. Not sure the SSP at $200 per 4L is justifiable.
    '15 S4 - Monsoon | GIAC DP 183-fluidampr / 57-awe & DSG tune | Autotech HPFP, GIAC LPFP | CTS Intake | AMS Alpha Cooler
    EuroCode Sways, Links, Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | ECS 2pc D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff | HRE FF01, PS4S | Bilstein PSS10's | AWE Touring /Res DPs
    11.651 @ 116.49 | 3.23 0-60

Established Member Three Rings friskuh's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vpls4 View Post

A couple questions

And did you change out all the fluid or just add to what you had. Not sure the SSP at $200 per 4L is justifiable.
    I heard SSP Gold is just rebranded royal purple

Established Member Three Rings PeteRock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by friskuh View Post
    I heard SSP Gold is just rebranded royal purple
    Iím not sure that itís justifiable at $200 for 4 liters either but I really donít think that thereís any truth to it being rebranded royal purple

Pete

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
    Iím not sure that itís justifiable at $200 for 4 liters either
    Well that's the cost all over the internet unless they fell off the back of a truck or something, lol.

Did you find a better deal out there?
    '15 S4 - Monsoon | GIAC DP 183-fluidampr / 57-awe & DSG tune | Autotech HPFP, GIAC LPFP | CTS Intake | AMS Alpha Cooler
    EuroCode Sways, Links, Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | ECS 2pc D/S Rotors, EBC Red Stuff | HRE FF01, PS4S | Bilstein PSS10's | AWE Touring /Res DPs

AZ Member #

Well that's the cost all over the internet unless they fell off the back of a truck or something, lol.

Did you find a better deal out there?
    Lol...nope....I bit the bullet and paid the price based on what my friend at Audi suggested....just saying that Iím not sure itís really worth the price but Iíve spent a lot more money on a lot worse shit in my life so Iím not sweating it

Pete

AZ Member #

A couple questions

The catch can came with a plug and a bunch of bungs so you wont need to buy anything except a male to male 1/2 or 3/8 coupler if you want to put the mini filter extended out on a hose.

I was going to put in either oem or oem compatible pentosin ffl4. The dealership had the oem with my discount for $23 per liter so i just bought it local. Fwiw the oem stuff smells slightly sweet and has kind of a slight greenish glow to it like motul 300v. Esters in there?

Mike

AZ Member #

The more time that I spend discussing the DSG with my buddy at Audi the more I am convinced that we do not need upgraded clutch packs and a TCU revision to increase clamping force

Increasing clamping force creates more heat and excessive heat causes clutch slippage, short shifts, gear skips and slams etc. so cooling seems to be much more of a priority

He happened to be working on a modded RS7 doing an engine rebuild while also swapping out turbos in a S6 for RS7 turbos and he said that these cars are less stressful on the DSG than ours because of the very different torque curves and our aggressive pulley ratios make it even worse

He showed me some trans temp VCDS logs of the DSGs at the onset of and during launch sequences and the temp spikes are insane

This brings me to my point....

What if we used a Killer Chiller with a 12V 3 way bypass to cool the DSG fluid just prior to launching it and during our passes and then switched it back to the standard or upgraded cooling loop afterwards?

Thoughts?

Pete

AZ Member #

The more time that I spend discussing the DSG with my buddy at Audi the more I am convinced that we do not need upgraded clutch packs and a TCU revision to increase clamping force

Increasing clamping force creates more heat and excessive heat causes clutch slippage, short shifts, gear skips and slams etc. so cooling seems to be much more of a priority

He happened to be working on a modded RS7 doing an engine rebuild while also swapping out turbos in a S6 for RS7 turbos and he said that these cars are less stressful on the DSG than ours because of the very different torque curves and our aggressive pulley ratios make it even worse

He showed me some trans temp VCDS logs of the DSGs at the onset of and during launch sequences and the temp spikes are insane

This brings me to my point....

What if we used a Killer Chiller with a 12V 3 way bypass to cool the DSG fluid just prior to launching it and during our passes and then switched it back to the standard or upgraded cooling loop afterwards?

Thoughts?

Pete

Correct me if I'm wrong but the DSG fluid needs to be in a very specific range of temperature to operate at its peak effectiveness. This is different than with intake temps where the cooler the better is fine. This makes me think a Setrab style cooler like Ukurish used may be the better option? Not sure.

AZ Member #

Correct me if I'm wrong but the DSG fluid needs to be in a very specific range of temperature to operate at its peak effectiveness. This is different than with intake temps where the cooler the better is fine. This makes me think a Setrab style cooler like Ukurish used may be the better option? Not sure.
    Under normal or even hard driving conditions that is correct but as we activate launch control and actually launch the DSG temps spike tremendously so Iím talking about just prior to launching and during the pass

Pete

AZ Member #

Some good info.....

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

Pete

AZ Member #

Some data:

Went to the track and to a private stretch of road last night.

After multiple launces and runs to 125mph i saw peak trans fluid temps of around 180f. Normal they settled to 165f

No issues with shifting or jerking rpms at the track even with significant wheel spin. The track was not prepped and was more slippery than the pavement we have in fl that has crushed shells in it (pretty grippy).

Now interestingly when i was heading home on a long private stretch of road i did some more launches and got some jerking bucking in trans gear engagement from gear 1-2. Ive launched 3 cars with this software now dozens and dozens of times and not had this issue until recently

I did have the catch can installed. Whats interesting is that with the catch can installed near the cabin air intake i was able to notice the following...

No smell of trans fluid street driving or at track with aggressive launches with wheel spin.

When i did get the bucking jerking trans behavior on the road i smelled the very distinct smell of trans fluid vented through my catch can.

I checked the catch can and fluid went in it. Its a long travel up the hose so im surprised... i suspect at the very least there was clear cavitation of the fluid maybe burping causing that very distinct odor that doesnt happen at other times.

Im wondering if we actually need baffled dsg pans..

http://gtr.speedforsale.com/dodson-g...sp-p-3110.html

Im also going to remove my dsg mount insert today. Ive never had this before installing it so just want to rule out any effect it could have on fluid movement in the trans

EDIT: i removed the solid transmission mount insert i had in the car and went out and did a bunch of launches and so far so good. No issues at all
    Last edited by bhvrdr; 01-12-2019 at 05:47 PM.

AZ Member #

EDIT: i removed the solid transmission mount insert i had in the car and went out and did a bunch of launches and so far so good. No issues at all
    Interesting.

Captain! Weíre cavitating!

AZ Member #

EDIT: i removed the solid transmission mount insert i had in the car and went out and did a bunch of launches and so far so good.

No issues at all
    This is interesting. I thought these thing were to just clean up any slop.

That sucks if that's what's causing this. Well I mean if sucks but it'd be great not to have to do extra trans cooling etc.

Did you put the factory one back in there?

AZ Member #

Some data:

Went to the track and to a private stretch of road last night.

After multiple launces and runs to 125mph i saw peak trans fluid temps of around 180f. Normal they settled to 165f

No issues with shifting or jerking rpms at the track even with significant wheel spin. The track was not prepped and was more slippery than the pavement we have in fl that has crushed shells in it (pretty grippy).

Now interestingly when i was heading home on a long private stretch of road i did some more launches and got some jerking bucking in trans gear engagement from gear 1-2. Ive launched 3 cars with this software now dozens and dozens of times and not had this issue until recently

I did have the catch can installed. Whats interesting is that with the catch can installed near the cabin air intake i was able to notice the following...

No smell of trans fluid street driving or at track with aggressive launches with wheel spin.

When i did get the bucking jerking trans behavior on the road i smelled the very distinct smell of trans fluid vented through my catch can.

I checked the catch can and fluid went in it. Its a long travel up the hose so im surprised... i suspect at the very least there was clear cavitation of the fluid maybe burping causing that very distinct odor that doesnt happen at other times.

Im wondering if we actually need baffled dsg pans..

http://gtr.speedforsale.com/dodson-g...sp-p-3110.html

Im also going to remove my dsg mount insert today. Ive never had this before installing it so just want to rule out and effect it could have on fluid movement in the trans

Good stuff Mike! Interesting info on the catch can and trans mount

Iím wondering if there are 2 different temp readings and ranges as thereís 2 different areas with fluid and according to this the temps seem way different and it says that thereís 2 temp sensors in the gearbox

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

Pete

AZ Member #

Good stuff Mike! Interesting info on the catch can and trans mount

Iím wondering if there are 2 different temp readings and ranges as thereís 2 different areas with fluid and according to this the temps seem way different and it says that thereís 2 temp sensors in the gearbox

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

Pete
    Hard to say. The temps you are referencing are max temps not temps we should be seeing. So if im maxing 85c or so and no limps until well above that it makes sense as i dont think any of us have gotten trans temp codes thrown like i have in many other cars. I can fish around vcds and try and log other terms as well though just to see.

AZ Member #

Clutch temp is a lot higher then fluid outside of clutch pack ! If Iím not mistaken I had 100c + on clutch and 50-70 outside of the clutch pack Iím not 100% sure I have to find my old log
    2013 AUDI S5 Stage 3 J-Fonz 545whp/490wtq / 10.45@134.78 by Dragy < Press @svarog_edition < last test updates

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by UkuRiSh View Post
    Clutch temp is a lot higher then fluid outside of clutch pack ! If Iím not mistaken I had 100c + on clutch and 50-70 outside of the clutch pack Iím not 100% sure I have to find my old log
    Gotcha ill start monitoring that. I did fluid temp only because i can monitor it all the time as an option on my main aeroforce gauge

AZ Member #

Here is log from last winter i didn't log temp for a while after i installed transmission radiator . This is 1/4 mile

AZ Member #

The readings from the fault I got when clutch pack 2 fried and DSG went into limp mode. Note the difference between input and output speed. Temp was only 72.

P17DO Slippage too High, Engine speed: 5790/min, Transmission input speed 5790/min, Transmission output speed 490/min, Engine torque: 288Nm, Transmission fluid temp: 72C, Nominal Pressure shaft 2: 16bar, Specified torque clutch 2: 1580Nm, Clutch pressure: clutch 2 data 16.08 bar, Nominal current partial transmission 2 data: 1500mA, Pressure clutch 2 data: .731 bar, Nominal slip data: 15/min

AZ Member #

Curious if every tune is represented in having that jerking gear slam behavior? As far as i can see everyone is represented yes? I find it odd i never had this issue until the past two months.

I just did about 20 launches tonight and got some jerking 1-2 gear when i used the actual launch rev limiter (low 2k limiter) but no issue on the 19 other low rpm upswing release (aka mashngo) launches.

I am running 2 extra quarts. Im stumped how i never had this before. Its happened 3 times now and i dont fully understand it.

Mike

Active Member Two Rings hjaaamjb6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Curious if every tune is represented in having that jerking gear slam behavior? As far as i can see everyone is represented yes? I find it odd i never had this issue until the past two months.

I just did about 20 launches tonight and got some jerking 1-2 gear when i used the actual launch rev limiter (low 2k limiter) but no issue on the 19 other low rpm upswing release (aka mashngo) launches.

I am running 2 extra quarts. Im stumped how i never had this before. Its happened 3 times now and i dont fully understand it.

Mike
    How was your wheel spin during the affected launches compared to your good launches?
    2013 B8.5 S4 - Performance Mods: IE E40 ECU & TCU / 3.28PR / Matty Ported Blower / IABED 75mm TB / Autotech HPFP / AWE Coldfront / AWE Track Catback / Modified Stock Airbox / ECA & Analog boost sensor via P3 / BKR9EIX / Stock Coolant Pump Mod / ECS Inserts / CR15 / Drag Radials / Airlift 3P

Awaiting install: Test Pipes, W/M, Rotora BBK

dragy: 1/4 mile 11.56 @ 122mph (No LC, No traction, 235 tires)

AZ Member #

more WHP + cooler temps maybe?

AZ Member #

DL501 transmission upgrades / Issues decision

Mike , I thought I was the only one having this issue when I had my 034 tune . Later I found out that Leo had this jerking as a well on his APR too. Now that Iím on IE, I have it but not as severe as 034. Which makes me believe it is somewhat turning related as well. But With IE experience this jerking only when my tires spin and now always ( 3-4:10)
    I have my catch can and fluids are ready to install one of these days. Maybe it will fix it but itís canít hurt to have extra fluid in that transmission.

Didnít have it on 91/93 tune , once I went e40 it was game over lol

AZ Member #

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Its possible its more induced with wheel spin but i hate to say that with certainty because i was getting quite a bit of wheelspin at the track to include one run that resulted in a 2.1 60ft it spun so bad literally through first and start of second with no shifting or jerking issue.

Its strange i cant find a common denominator yet.

AZ Member #

I'd like to know how many of those that have experienced this have had a catastrophic failure.

did scls4 clutch pack 2 fry during one of these 'wheel spin launch jerks' can't remember

AZ Member #

I need to figure out how to link a video so you guys can hear the failure for yourselves.....it cringe worthy for sure. I did not use launch control......I just mashed the gas from a standstill, roads had some moisture on them so the car spun hard in 1st....like moved sideways as much as it moved forward and then the shift to second happened and within a fraction of a second I got a loud thud and immediately let off gas and the transmission malfunction light and limp mode came on. The thud was similar to what I've heard in other vids of wheel spin jerk. I'll text it to you if you want....its a shitty vid but you can hear it.....my son wasn't supposed to be videoing dad being a jackass on back roads. We went joy riding last night and I had several hard wheel spins with smooth 1-2 shifts so SSP clutches are holding nicely.....still to chicken shit to use launch control.
    2015 Audi S4 APR Ultra charger with Dual Pulley 3.18 ratio, APR DSG tune, AWE touring exhaust with resonated down pipes, ECS intake, AWE Coldfront, H&R sway bars

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by scls4 View Post
    I need to figure out how to link a video so you guys can hear the failure for yourselves.....it cringe worthy for sure. I did not use launch control......I just mashed the gas from a standstill, roads had some moisture on them so the car spun hard in 1st....like moved sideways as much as it moved forward and then the shift to second happened and within a fraction of a second I got a loud thud and immediately let off gas and the transmission malfunction light and limp mode came on. The thud was similar to what I've heard in other vids of wheel spin jerk. I'll text it to you if you want....its a shitty vid but you can hear it.....my son wasn't supposed to be videoing dad being a jackass on back roads. We went joy riding last night and I had several hard wheel spins with smooth 1-2 shifts so SSP clutches are holding nicely.....still to chicken shit to use launch control.
    just upload it to youtube. That just sucks.

AZ Member #

Thanks UkuRiSh, I did my can today . I might re route the breather due to being prone of getting water ( to close to the vent ) .
    I havenít launched it but better then nothing .
    Thanks guys

AZ Member #

Thanks UkuRiSh, I did my can today . I might re route the breather due to being prone of getting water ( to close to the vent ) .
    I havenít launched it but better then nothing .
    Thanks guys

Remove filter and install plug bro ! USE OUTLET NEXT TO INLET FOR FILTER! RUN HOSE OUT OF SECOND FIRE WALL AND KEEP FILTER THERE. ATF SMELLS VERY STRONG HIGLY RECOMEND YOU GUYS INSTALL OUT OF THE FIRE WALL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123