Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Valve cover gasket issues

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So my vcg is leaking after a second attempt and i have a couple questions on how to proceed. The first vcg kit i ordered came with only 3 half moons and a crankshaft seal??? So while waiting for the new kit to come in i attempted to use one of my old half moon seals. It was a Mahle vcg kit but it has the words Victor Reinz written on the spark plug seals so I'm assuming the whole kit is Victor Reinz. It leaked BAD straight onto the exhaust pipe. Didn't drive the car for4 days until the replacement kit came in through AutoZone.
    The new kit came in and guess what...the package was ripped open and only 3 half moon seals were present 😐. I ordered just half moon seals and got to work installing the kit. I left the spark plug seals from the first kit because i had to blow-dry the originals out and then literally hammer the new ones in. I don't see them ever coming out even with a blow drier. After searching for posts on sealant vs no sealant i went with sealant on half moons (the curved underside not the flat top part) and a dab on the corners. It was ok for a day maybe then it started leaking again. My questions are as follows:
    1. Can i attempt to re-use the gasket i have since its only a week old?
    2. Do you recommend using sealant on the half moons and corners? If so which part of the half moons and do i need to worry about wiping the excess off that squeezes out when i push it down?
    3. Do i need to completely remove all traces of sealant from the half moons before attempting to re-use them? Obviously the big pieces can be peeled off easily.
    I'm using that new rtv sealant in a "cheese whiz" can so i was told i needed to be quick but after squeezing some out on some cardboard and testing it later it seems to not set in a minute like it says on the bottle so I'm not rushing to put it together possibly forcing a mistake. I have to wait at least a few days for a new one to come in but I'm not sure where I'm going to order from. I don't know if it's the Victor Reinz kit that is the problem out something I'm doing wrong with sealant. I'm tightening from middle to outside in a criss- cross order in steps to 10 ft/lbs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Btw this is the passenger side.

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

I have a gasket set you can have, it was used, maybe half a year. The half moons are all brand new though never used) , the gaskets are in prime shape.
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 12mm wheel spacers, CustomCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. Instagram https://www.instagram.com/raudi.audi73/

Senior Member Two Rings stevemiller333's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 B6 S4 SDN, E46 M3 VERT, 2016 F150

I though when I did mine there were 8 half moons. I used "the right stuff" gasket maker around the entire gasket surface, no leaks. Now my valley pan is leaking!

edit... I just read you are only doing the pass side, so 4 half moons.