Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

S4 Headlamp No good on Dipped beam

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi
    Have tried to put this question before in the last week or so, but it does not seem to appear on the site anywhere I can find.
    Am pretty sure this is the correct place to put the question but here goes again.
    The dipped beam light is very poor and blue in colour but the main beam is OK.
    Is the dipped beam an LED and if so can I change the bulb for a brighter white one on my 2004 s4 please.
    Matty

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You may have 2 different colors. "Dipped" is just the normal low beam bulb. I think white is 6000k and blue is 8000k. You'll understand when ordering. The bulb is around $100 if bought from a local parts store but can be found as low as $11 from somewhere like ebay. They don't last as long but depending on your budget...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

They are an HID bulb. D1S is what your looking for. Here's a link to an example of a really cheap set. I can't say whether these are any good or if they'll last, but all the info is there that you'll need to find the right bulbs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-2...item19be73b64f

Veteran Member Three Rings jakeoboy67's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    mk2 Jetta Tdi

since you're in the U.K , I'd suggest looking at what kind of bulb/headlight arrangement you guys have over there.
    It may be a bit different from North American cars.

Just make sure your low/dipped beam is a D1S HID before ordering new bulbs.

The symptoms you're describing seem to match an HID bulb in its "end-of-life" phases, blue/purple coloring, poor light output. . .

anything 4800k to 5500k should be pretty much white.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

Thanks . Am trying to establish what the headlamp normally is in the UK and presently taking the lights apart to see what is fitted.
    Can a high beam bulb be fitted to the low beam side or is there some sort of regulator in series with the low beam bulb ?
    How would one check that the low beam bulbs are old and not working properly please?
    Have looked on UK sites and seem to be able to buy DIS HID bulbs for around 25 a pair but want to carry out a few more checks before buying a pair just to check that this is the problem.
    The low beam lights are the same brightness on both sides of the car, so is there some sort of regulator which is common to both sides of the car's lights.
    Thanks again
    Matty

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

Looks like the bulbs are a standard H1 fitting. These are very cheap so will try a couple of white (clear) ones to see how well they work .
    Matty

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

Having looked on the net it seems that each HID bulb has to have a separate ballast system.
    If one reverts to a simple halagon bulb for the Low beam and the car has had an HID conversion, the Ballast components will therefore have to be removed
    Do not quite understand why the Low beam has the potentially brighter HID bulb, which one would expect to be fitted to the main beam.
    One explanation might be that the HID bulbs take a while to switch on, so in my system the low beam is on continuously with the headlights on and the faster reacting Halagon high beam is then switched on/off for the dip function.
    In other words the HID bulbs are probably not suitable to be switched on and off for a dimming function.
    Think my HID bulbs are old, too cheap or incorrectly fitted, which is maybe why they are blue and rather dim with a poor light pattern.
    Have also read that HID bulbs have a different light pattern which might not suit my reflectors.
    Surly many modern cars use HID DIS bulbs for main and low beam, so how do they get around the switching time problem.
    Any comments on this would be most welcome.
    I'll get there in the end !!
    Matty