Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring Grooselord's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yet another torque converter issue...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone,

I bought a B7 A4 2.0T with the tiptronic transmission a couple months ago, and since it has gotten cold in my area, I am experiencing the dreaded RPM surging issue around 35-40 mph, but I have no CEL. After reading many threads on the forums here about this exact issue, I am aware that my issue is most likely a failing torque converter. However, I am posting about this issue again because I still have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to. My car currently has 52,000 miles on it and I am fairly certain that the transmission fluid has yet to be changed. I am also aware that a simple fluid change likely will not remedy my issue. I do not have any sort of warranty on the car, so all repairs would be coming out of pocket for me, which is what has had me stressing out for the past few days...

With this being said, I would like to know a few things before I either decide to get it fixed or just trade it for something else. Don't get me wrong, I really like the car, but with a potential $2k+ repair bill on a car that I'd be lucky to get a trade-in value of $5-6k, I am having second thoughts about this car. To be honest, I would not mind just having the repairs done if it could be ensured that the issue would not return, but, after reading many posts about this exact issue, many with this issue have reported the issue to reoccur even with a new torque converter installed. With this being said, do I really need to replace the torque converter? If I continue to drive it with this issue, will I make the issue any worse? I would be willing to get the transmission fluid changed, but the torque converter job sounds too expensive for it to be a smart thing for me to do in my situation. Now I'm wishing I bought an Audi with a manual transmission, if only they were common in my area...

I really don't want to get rid of my car, but if this is going to turn into a very expensive endeavor, I may have to. Regardless, I am planning on having it looked at by a transmission shop soon. Once I can get a clear idea of what is really going on with the car, I will make the decision on what to do with it. If anyone could provide me with some input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

When It warms up, does it go away? Mine has been doing that from 20k and now at 160k...

Unsure what actual failures occur here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I usually only drive for 15-20 minute intervals to and from work, so I don't really drive long enough to tell, I suppose. It does definitely continental to do it after 15 minutes of driving, even when the engine has warmed up properly.

Have you had any servicing done to your transmission at all since yours started doing it? If so, did the problem persist? I'm all up for having the fluid changed, since it is probably due for it anyway, but the whole torque converter issue seems like it is took risky and expensive for me. If I could have 100% certainty that I could continue to drive it like this without needing serious transmission work, I would just deal with the surging.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

Ive been mine with 250,000 miles on that issue
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,DTM frt bmpr and rs4 fogs,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Grooselord View Post
    I usually only drive for 15-20 minute intervals to and from work, so I don't really drive long enough to tell, I suppose. It does definitely continental to do it after 15 minutes of driving, even when the engine has warmed up properly.

Have you had any servicing done to your transmission at all since yours started doing it? If so, did the problem persist? I'm all up for having the fluid changed, since it is probably due for it anyway, but the whole torque converter issue seems like it is took risky and expensive for me. If I could have 100% certainty that I could continue to drive it like this without needing serious transmission work, I would just deal with the surging.
    15mins is not enough time to properly warm up your car. Test after 30mins of solid highway at least.

As for me- Trans fluid has never been changed. While I wish I did earlier now that we are at 160k, not goona touch it.

You only have 52k. Assuming it's org fluid, it's not low and some other issues hasn't happened, I would bet this is not your issue. Not wishing to get into a conversation about lifetime fluid but it's still very young in my book.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vce1232000 View Post
    Ive been mine with 250,000 miles on that issue
    Hm... So maybe I am worried over nothing then. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of or seen this issue actually becoming worse and actually needing to have the torque converter service done?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Just keep driving it. The torque converter issue is more of a cosmetic issue. I have yet to see anyone forced into replacing their torque converter for any reason, the car just keeps on going.

AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I had been very worried about this issue lately, but this information is reassuring.