Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2014 audi a4 timing chain failure

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I took my car in to my trusted euro shop for an oil leak coming from what appeared to be the oil pan gasket. They said the oil was coming from my plug, which is not a big deal, but concerning because that's not what I saw. I had them do an oil change while they were there and they said they found metal shavings in my oil and checked the timing chain and tensioner. They said the chain is stretched and the tensioner is on the last notch and the timing chain and tensioner need replaced. They said it would be 2000. WTH. I have 70000 miles on this car and I thought I escaped the timing chain failure with a B8. 5!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings shellraider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

In the 2012-2015ish years, hard to say when it happened, they used updated tensioners but not updated chains. It was a solution to part of the problem.
    It solved the issue in many cases but didn't fix all. Sorry to hear you are having problems with it. Best to do it before anything goes catastrophic. My local shop has seen several in the "good" year ranges come in with the same issue.
    Last edited by shellraider; 12-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    2012 Monsoon B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package Black Optic : APR stage II, OEM Gauge Conversion, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, OEM RS Interior Door handles, Full Engine Rebuild IE

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

yup .. go see my 8.5 refreshed thread (2014). One of the latest pics is of my stretched chain, it too was on the last notch on the tensioner. The infamous issue is tensioner failure. Your tensioner did not fail and hung in there till the last notch. Consider yourself very very lucky.
    What you have there is a worn out chain ( and likely engine. ) I was surprised how worn out my engine was for 4 years and 200k km. i would suggest all chains, rails main sprocket and likely new cover as the chain is hitting it causing the shavings.
    they may not be able to do oil pump chain but that's not a big deal anyway.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Senior Member Two Rings Quattro420's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Jetta tdi 5peed 2000 b5 a4 1.8t 5aq, 2005 Passat tdi wagon2.0l, 2000 sierra 5.3l

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    yup .. go see my 8.5 refreshed thread (2014). One of the latest pics is of my stretched chain, it too was on the last notch on the tensioner. The infamous issue is tensioner failure. Your tensioner did not fail and hung in there till the last notch. Consider yourself very very lucky.
    What you have there is a worn out chain ( and likely engine. ) I was surprised how worn out my engine was for 4 years and 200k km. i would suggest all chains, rails main sprocket and likely new cover as the chain is hitting it causing the shavings.
    they may not be able to do oil pump chain but that's not a big deal anyway.
    Id do balance shafts as well

Veteran Member Three Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by austindgarner View Post
    I took my car in to my trusted euro shop for an oil leak coming from what appeared to be the oil pan gasket. They said the oil was coming from my plug, which is not a big deal, but concerning because that's not what I saw. I had them do an oil change while they were there and they said they found metal shavings in my oil and checked the timing chain and tensioner. They said the chain is stretched and the tensioner is on the last notch and the timing chain and tensioner need replaced. They said it would be 2000. WTH. I have 70000 miles on this car and I thought I escaped the timing chain failure with a B8. 5!
    That sucks. Whats the oil change history? Did you own it since new?
    Current: 2013 A4 | Past: 2010 A4
    TFSI Longitudinal EA888

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audrobotic View Post
    That sucks. Whats the oil change history? Did you own it since new?
    Ive had it for 3 years doing the oil every 5000 miles. Carfax shows the original owner to doing every 10000 miles.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro420 View Post
    Id do balance shafts as well
    Why do these need to get the balance shafts replaced to? That's the first time hearing about balance shafts ever being an issue.