Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings doady22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Continental DWS 06 vs Michelin AS3 +

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After browsing tirerack reviews and endless forum searches I'd like to get some more feed back on all seasons. I've narrowed my search down to these 2 tires, I'm looking for a tires that are quiet, comfortable and are ok in light snow nothing crazy. Anyone have an opinon on the Continental DWS 06 vs Michelin AS3+? Which ones are quieter and more comfortable? Going to be running 275-30-20's once my wheels get here so any advice would be great!
    2018 S5 Sportback Glacier White Prestige

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doady22 View Post
    After browsing tirerack reviews and endless forum searches I'd like to get some more feed back on all seasons. I've narrowed my search down to these 2 tires, I'm looking for a tires that are quiet, comfortable and are ok in light snow nothing crazy. Anyone have an opinon on the Continental DWS 06 vs Michelin AS3+? Which ones are quieter and more comfortable? Going to be running 275-30-20's once my wheels get here so any advice would be great!
    I just mounted a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's on my 2003 Allroad (225-55-17) Not much experience with them yet, but they are more quiet and offer a better ride than my former Michelin Primacy MXV4. Anxious to see how they will perform in snow. Handles well, but the sidewall seems a bit softer than my previous Michelins. Probably accounts for the better ride.
    David

2003 Allroad 2.7T
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    1970 Porsche 911E
    1979 BMW 320i

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've recently mounted a set of the A/S 3+ tires on my TDI and they feel much better than the Toyo Proxes they are replacing. Great wet traction; no snow yet to test them out on. They also have a lip to stick out past the wheel's rim and it's saved me a couple times from curbing wheels.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

AZ Member #

Thanks for the feedback.

AZ Member #

I originally had A/S 3s (the plus weren't available at the time) that lasted about 30,000 miles. I loved them, they were a great tire. But I ended up switching to DWS06 because of the great reviews and at the time, they were about $200 less expensive with a rebate and sale. Unfortunately, for some reason, they never balanced well, tried road force 3 or 4 times. I ended up swapping them out after a 1,000 miles for the A/S 3+ and never looked back. The A/S 3+ did surprisingly well in the one winter storm I drove them in.

AZ Member #

Was the Michelin's quieter then the Conit's? How was the ride?

AZ Member #

I would say the Conti's were quieter, but the vibrations never balanced out for some reason. I could have just bought a bad set, but in my experience, the Michelins had a smoother ride and better grip in all conditions.

AZ Member #

Yeah I've read that some people have that vibration issue at higher speeds with the Conti's. I've also read that the Michelin's seem to follow the groves in the road more, I'd probably base that on having a larger tire tread width. I guess we can't have a perfect tire lol.

AZ Member #

QUOTE=ap610;13426091] I could have just bought a bad set[/QUOTE]

I bought a bad set of DWS' about 5-6 years ago for my B7. 3 of the 4 had bad sidewalls and were either cracking or failed. Those 3 were from the same batch while the 4th (the good one) was not. Continental basically told me to go screw myself and wouldn't do a thing for me. For that reason I'll never buy Continental again.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - S-Line, Black Optics, Driver Assistance, HUD, LED Headlights, Cold Weather, Warm Weather
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

AZ Member #

That wasn't very nice of them lol.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doady22 View Post
    That wasn't very nice of them lol.
    Nope. I can say that they are very quiet tires, but have soft sidewalls compared to others I've run.

AZ Member #

Soft side walls means softer more comfortable ride? Downside don't feel as stable at higher speeds?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have AS 3+ on my S5, and previously had them on my 340i for 3 years. Great tires overall in wet and dry... probably the closest to summer tires in the all season category. HOWEVER, they do not perform very well in snow.

AZ Member #

See this is great getting real world feedback, consumer reports rated the Michelin's better in the snow over the Conti's everything I've heard has been the other way around! lol

AZ Member #

I had the original DWS (not 06) and currently have the AS3+ for one set of wheels. The DWS were very good in the snow and made it through several Vermont winters. However, the AS3+ have better steering response, dry traction, and appear to be wearing better than the DWS. Both have good hydroplaning resistance. Overall, I presume the DWS06 is better in the snow and the AS3+ is superior in all other conditions.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Overall, I presume the DWS06 is better in the snow and the AS3+ is superior in all other conditions.
    I've run both several times. The DWS is far better in snow and a good bit better in wet. The AS3+ is better in dry, but not by much. Many would never realize the added dry grip. The DWS definitely last longer. I killed a set of AS3+ in about 12K miles. My DWS still looked 50% good after 12K or so miles.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

Thanks mops!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    I've run both several times. The DWS is far better in snow and a good bit better in wet. The AS3+ is better in dry, but not by much. Many would never realize the added dry grip. The DWS definitely last longer. I killed a set of AS3+ in about 12K miles. My DWS still looked 50% good after 12K or so miles.
    I had pretty much the opposite experience except that it I live in a warmer climate now and have not used the AS3+ in snow. The DWS were completely worn out at 17k miles - only the D was remaining, and barely - whereas the AS3+ appear to have plenty of tread left after 11-12k miles. In non-snowy conditions, I definitely prefer the AS3+.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I currently have the DWS 06 on my S3. I have been a DWS fan for a while, BUT I would say this last batch I just got in the summer have a soft side wall. I have searched with people stating the same. People have stated you really have to play with the PSI to find what works.

I did just run them through the snow and no issues at all.
    :: 2015 S3 ::
    Glacier White - Mag Ride - OEM Res delete - 034motorsport - CTS

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

I went with the DWS06 due to price and while I'm very happy with them, I'm well aware that the driving dynamics don't match up to the Michelin. AS3+ is superior in feel and dry performance. The tradeoff is a bit firmer ride on the AS3+, comparatively.

Both excellent in the snow.
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Think I'm leaning towards the Conit's due to having a softer ride.

Established Member Two Rings Hey_T_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíll add my 2 cents having just bought my Contiís two weeks ago. The ride quality is a bit rougher in my opinion, a bit more road noice than my previous set but overall pleased with the DWS 06 performance in wet and dry conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    I had pretty much the opposite experience except that it I live in a warmer climate now and have not used the AS3+ in snow. The DWS were completely worn out at 17k miles - only the D was remaining, and barely - whereas the AS3+ appear to have plenty of tread left after 11-12k miles. In non-snowy conditions, I definitely prefer the AS3+.
    Funny how that works. I drove both vehicles equally hard, mostly twisty roads and very little stop and go where I'm at. Both S/C and turbo motors. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    Both excellent in the snow.
    I certainly did not find the AS3+ anywhere near excellent in snow. I had the S3 out in 6-8" on both the DWS and AS3+. The variance in performance was pretty huge. Could be condition related? I was on roads that were not scraped, no emergency maneuvers and I'm really smooth. I rate a tire in snow based on it allowing me to travel around the speed limits and without much push or slip and how they do on incline and decline. The DWS was unstoppable. The AS3+ simply would not go like the DWS. I also had the B9 out on the AS3+ last year. Same deal. I didn't even stay out long because they weren't inspiring much confidence.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    I certainly did not find the AS3+ anywhere near excellent in snow. I had the S3 out in 6-8" on both the DWS and AS3+. The variance in performance was pretty huge. Could be condition related? I was on roads that were not scraped, no emergency maneuvers and I'm really smooth. I rate a tire in snow based on it allowing me to travel around the speed limits and without much push or slip and how they do on incline and decline. The DWS was unstoppable. The AS3+ simply would not go like the DWS. I also had the B9 out on the AS3+ last year. Same deal. I didn't even stay out long because they weren't inspiring much confidence.
    Interesting! Your experience absolutely trumps mine being that I haven't run the AS3+, and I can vouch that the 06s are tanks in the snow. But pretty much all reviews, comparisons, and anecdotes have the AS3+ up there with the DWS06 as being the best two all-seasons in snow? And Tire Rack's objective tests put out super similar results, so I've got nothing. 🤷*♀️

Have fun out there today! Jeally.

-Hayden

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Continental DWS 06 vs Michelin AS3 +

Quote Originally Posted by LINDW4LL View Post
    Interesting! Your experience absolutely trumps mine being that I haven't run the AS3+, and I can vouch that the 06s are tanks in the snow. But pretty much all reviews, comparisons, and anecdotes have the AS3+ up there with the DWS06 as being the best two all-seasons in snow? And Tire Rack's objective tests put out super similar results, so I've got nothing. 🤷*♀️

Have fun out there today! Jeally.
    Really weird Hayden! I have them on S4 right now, but I'm not taking it out. The recently redone BC Forged wheels are sold, and going to their new owner later this month. That could turn out bad lol.

We're up to 14-16" as of this moment.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've had the DWS's a tunes fwd Volvo and now my rs3. They are excellent in light/medium snow and rain. Much better than winter tires if it's above 45 out too, which was why I got them vs winter tires which are awful when it's slightly warmer out and haven't switched to my summers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Seinsmeld13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    16 Porsche GT4 & 2018 TTS

All season is no season. I am a retired accident investigator. I would recommend summer tires above 7C and winter tires below 7C. I therefore recommend summer tires on your new 20s. Good luck with whatever you go with.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS
    Weekend and summer drive 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4