Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings ava the a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Aftermarket back up cam?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was wondering if anyone has connected a backup cam to one of our cars that didnít originally have one. Some come with them so Iíd assume you could make something work but has anyone done it? Mine is a 2015 premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

A few of us have. The whole process is pretty straight forward. A cool 2-2.5 hours process at a very casual pace for me on a free weekend.

AZ Member #

Could you explain how or link the thread or whatever instructions you used?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The aftermarket kit can be found on ebay but this LINK should help with the install.

The process overall: Some screws. Radio keys to remove MMI unit. There is a tiny bit of shaving/dremel to fit a OEM and aftermarket connector together. Plug everything together to test out. Fit the wiring hassle/module behind the glove compartment (fit the module between the glove box and a metal dashboard support). Install back up camera on to trunk lid. Run wiring from trunk to front (pathway is your choice). Plug together to reconfirm its operation. Hide the crimes. Enjoy something that is now legally a requirement from OEMs in the US since May 2018, so no one should be hassled to do this again haha.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GeneBean13 View Post
    The aftermarket kit can be found on ebay but this LINK should help with the install.

The process overall: Some screws. Radio keys to remove MMI unit. There is a tiny bit of shaving/dremel to fit a OEM and aftermarket connector together. Plug everything together to test out. Fit the wiring hassle/module behind the glove compartment (fit the module between the glove box and a metal dashboard support). Install back up camera on to trunk lid. Run wiring from trunk to front (pathway is your choice). Plug together to reconfirm its operation. Hide the crimes. Enjoy something that is now legally a requirement from OEMs in the US since May 2018, so no one should be hassled to do this again haha.
    Great thanks!