Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

Should I get a new door painted and blended for rust or fix current door?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello there!

So I've got the denim blue Audi A4 B6 and was wondering about rust removal. My right passenger front door paint is starting to bubble right where the door moulding exists and I need to fix that asap. I'm uncertain about the best and most economical approach. I live in Ottawa, Canada and I was looking into getting a used door that hopefully doesn't have that rust and have that repainted and blended.

I hear that repairing your current door for rust won't really work so well but either way, I want that rust gone asap and not sure how to go about doing it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

Speaking as someone who had the damage you outline (plus addition areas including front fender and along door blades) repaired by Audi while still under the warranty period, it will only be a short time before it shows itself again. I had the fender replaced outright, that never was an issue again, but the doors were and I had Krown every year and looked after it well under my ownership, to no avail. I got a few years out of it though, brilliant black. I would say if you are looking for a door where this isn't already going to be an issue, or about to be one, your going to have to look south. Might be a pricey en-devour, you planning on keeping for a while?

AZ Member #

Ya I plan on keeping it for a while for sure!

So your suggestion is the following:

Get new door instead and have that painted as the rust usually comes back?

Any suggestions on used doors and where I can purchase this online?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    Speaking as someone who had the damage you outline (plus addition areas including front fender and along door blades) repaired by Audi while still under the warranty period, it will only be a short time before it shows itself again. I had the fender replaced outright, that never was an issue again, but the doors were and I had Krown every year and looked after it well under my ownership, to no avail. I got a few years out of it though, brilliant black. I would say if you are looking for a door where this isn't already going to be an issue, or about to be one, your going to have to look south. Might be a pricey en-devour, you planning on keeping for a while?
    I just realized I didn't directly reply sorry about that!

"Ya I plan on keeping it for a while for sure!

So your suggestion is the following:

Get new door instead and have that painted as the rust usually comes back?"

Any suggestions on used doors and where I can purchase this online? I'm having difficulty just trying to find an exterior door panel.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Usually any rust repair you do is not going to be a permanent fix. Yeah, it'll stay away for awhile but it almost always comes back (even if you patch in new metal). So your best bet is to find a clean rust free door and go from there. If you're patient, you can wait for the same color as well and might be able to avoid getting it painted and save some money. The factory paint matches pretty well as long as the door is from a similar region and paint hasn't faded too bad.

I got a replacement ocean blue rear door instead of fixing a dent on my B6 and the color match was pretty spot on, and I honestly can't notice the difference, although a friend of mine who does auto body says he notices a very slight shade difference. Either way, the $50 and an hour of my time to swap the door skin was way better than bringing it to a body shop or trying to fix the dent myself.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I've replaced fenders and a trunk of the same color on my car and it matches perfectly. I have some rust starting on my doors too and I'll be sourcing the same color door skin and just swap it out. I've found this way to be the most cost effective and longest lasting as having it repaired it always ends up showing up again whether it's a year or two down the road.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PSI NRG View Post
    I've replaced fenders and a trunk of the same color on my car and it matches perfectly. I have some rust starting on my doors too and I'll be sourcing the same color door skin and just swap it out. I've found this way to be the most cost effective and longest lasting as having it repaired it always ends up showing up again whether it's a year or two down the road.
    Any suggestion where I can find a door? Having plenty of diffuclty doing so. I live in Canada but willing to buy from the states! It's warmer climate down there less cars have been through salty winters!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
    Usually any rust repair you do is not going to be a permanent fix. Yeah, it'll stay away for awhile but it almost always comes back (even if you patch in new metal). So your best bet is to find a clean rust free door and go from there. If you're patient, you can wait for the same color as well and might be able to avoid getting it painted and save some money. The factory paint matches pretty well as long as the door is from a similar region and paint hasn't faded too bad.

I got a replacement ocean blue rear door instead of fixing a dent on my B6 and the color match was pretty spot on, and I honestly can't notice the difference, although a friend of mine who does auto body says he notices a very slight shade difference. Either way, the $50 and an hour of my time to swap the door skin was way better than bringing it to a body shop or trying to fix the dent myself.
    Any suggestion where I can find a door? Having plenty of diffuclty doing so. I live in Canada but willing to buy from the states! It's warmer climate down there less cars have been through salty winters!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    How have you liked using Krown, been using it long? I bought a 4runner from arizona last year and had it Krown coated, Im impressed so far, its really clean underneath, hoping this is a long term effect. OP, I would replace the panels that have rusted, if you repair the rust it will come back unless you keep it out of the elements.

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

Also try Car-part.com
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4esT View Post
    How have you liked using Krown, been using it long? I bought a 4runner from arizona last year and had it Krown coated, Im impressed so far, its really clean underneath, hoping this is a long term effect. OP, I would replace the panels that have rusted, if you repair the rust it will come back unless you keep it out of the elements.
    I know krown I do it always, but, still need suggestions to replace the door

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2004a4b630QT View Post
    This is awesome but seems like 2004,would that fit on 2002?

Senior Member Three Rings 2004a4b630QT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 A4 3.0 QTip

yes,but to be sure just plug in your specs at the top of the page.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2004a4b630QT View Post
    yes,but to be sure just plug in your specs at the top of the page.
    When I do that it doesn't show available for my car :( maybe I'm not doing it right?

Senior Member Three Rings 2004a4b630QT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 A4 3.0 QTip

after you put in your info and click find, go to the left column at the bottom and click "view more". Then you will get an alphabetical listing of parts. look for door skin and you should arrive at something similar to the page I linked originally. These parts sites have less than stellar site navigation.

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

A couple of tips... Wolf Auto is located in Minnesota and most of their cars are locally sourced. If you want non rust belt parts use car-part.com. You can choose the yard you get your parts from. Also you probably want a door shell. A skin is the outer sheet metal only. Reskinning a door means cutting off the outside metal and keeping your frame. I have done this on a couple of time, it's a lot of work and I only did it on a restoration of an older car. where good doors were not available. You can easily find unrusted doors.

As far as rust repairs go in only comes back if you didn't do a good job. A good restoration will last as long as a factory new part. Patching holes, not so much.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Also you probably want a door shell. A skin is the outer sheet metal only. Reskinning a door means cutting off the outside metal and keeping your frame. I have done this on a couple of time, it's a lot of work and I only did it on a restoration of an older car. where good doors were not available. You can easily find unrusted doors.
    FWIW, WolfAuto calls it a shell/skin and it's clearly a whole door from their pictures:

Probably just a nomenclature thing, I doubt a junkyard would bother cutting the outer "skin" off from the door and sell it. Obviously a classic car part is a different story.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by khawari View Post

Check eBay! or car-part.com. Use the term door shell as others have mentioned. Depending on what color vehicle you have you may need to be patient for the right part to pop up. That's really the only draw back

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PSI NRG View Post
    Depending on what color vehicle you have you may need to be patient for the right part to pop up. That's really the only draw back
    x2, took me awhile before an ocean blue partout popped up for me. If you have silver or something, it'll be a lot easier.